The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 11, 2005, 07:29 PM   #51
XavierBreath

Wow, I thought I was going to get flamed for stating I would practically cut the dog's head off!

I recall one dogfight, between a Golden Retriever and a mutt of like size. The Golden had the mutt's entire neck in it's mouth. We picked up both dog's back legs and pulled and pulled to no avail. We finally took them into the river nearby (we were on the bank) and held both dogs underwater. The Golden continued to hold on for about a minute and a half. He finally let go, and we separated the dogs.

A Golden Retriever is about the friendliest dog out there. This one, (mine) is a big love bucket, but the other dog urinated on my truck tire, and my Golden went bezerk. Since that day, I respect the jaws of any dog.
Old January 12, 2005, 12:49 PM   #52
mvpel

A friend of my parents', years and years ago, was dog-sitting a chihuaua. This little dog was constantly badgering the friend's German Shepherd, Maggie. Being a very well-trained dog, she put up with it for quite a while.

Finally, there was one irritation too many, and she snatched the chihuahua's head in her mouth, and held it there for about 15 seconds, then let go.

That was the last of her problems from the little ankle-biter.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old January 13, 2005, 01:06 AM   #53
Doug242ti

Quote:
um ... so what happens when the dog is a female?
offer it a box of chocalates?

Seems to work for me

(Great thread btw)
Old January 13, 2005, 03:40 AM   #54
Dusty Miller

YEARS ago whenst I was just a lad I worked as a meter reader for Sc. Ca. Ed. and had to spray a male doberman. I'd heard that they don't bark, just come up to you and start to work. Upon getting sprayed in the face, he stopped, spread his legs and peed on the ground. So, I'm a big believer in spray. I believe a bottle of ammonia will serve as well.
Old January 13, 2005, 06:40 AM   #55
joab

Quote:
um ... so what happens when the dog is a female
Purple Nurples all around
Old January 16, 2005, 11:20 AM   #56
PzGren

A Nissan Double Cab pick up backed up and drove over my Great Danes neck with its left rear tire. It did not hurt him.

A surrendering dog will offer its vulnerable parts to you. It will turn onto its back and expose the throat and the soft stomach. Also, most dogs feel pain in the ears very much, this is why they were cropped.

To train little dogs not to play too rough and bite, I press their gums into their teeth.
With a big, powerful dog it is very hard to fight it, dogs can tear and bite at incredible speed. Even for an experienced dog handler it can happen to be outsmarted or simply overpowered.
Old January 16, 2005, 01:31 PM   #57
Rojoe67

dog attacks......

Still hope that the human -even under stress and short time reaction can out think a dog.... I have trained, been around, owned and taken care of dogs for all my life.

#1 - the chocolate idea is funny but it is just that..... We have a friend that have a small mixed dog and it gets into chocolate on a normal basis.... So safe to say it's not the Ole Alka-Seltzer on the seagull routine.

#2 - Like any wild animal to include humans...... If you turn off the brain the creature is no longer a threat.... end of story. If you have a rotts mouth on one of your arms I suggest using the other to kill the animal with the same head shot.... Sure the shot needs some safety thought...cause if you kill your friend whom is trying to free the dog off the other arm you have failed to end the threat to yourself...and you get to live with your bad judgement the rest of your life...

#3 - 99% of dogs that I have seen, run into and read about bark or growl if they are pissed off. I would suggest when you hear his vocal alarms you should plan your safety retreat and actions to defuse a possible attack. We need to act as though we are smarter than the K9.

#4 - I think an awful alot of -what if and -well it could,seem to over power the ability to reason on this topic. Example.... If the police car says K9 on the door....stay back..... I would suggest not trying to put your hand in the window to pet the nice Rin Tin Tin...... If you do......well, all I can say is I hope your able to use the other hand to feed and wipe yourself with....

Lets be safe out there..... have a good day
Old January 17, 2005, 09:43 AM   #58
mvpel

#1 - the chocolate idea is funny but it is just that..... We have a friend that have a small mixed dog and it gets into chocolate on a normal basis.... So safe to say it's not the Ole Alka-Seltzer on the seagull routine.

Yes, but chocolate is in fact a toxin - theobromine, to be specific.

This chemical is what caffiene is metabolized to in humans, and the effects are similar to caffeine poisoning. Dogs metabolize it much more slowly than humans, so dangerous levels can build up much more quickly.

Generally, one ounce of baking chocolate per 10 pounds of body weight is a toxic dose for dogs.

http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/...oisoning.shtml
1 Samuel 13:19
Old January 17, 2005, 05:07 PM   #59
MrBill

Given the circumstances, I would like to think I would try to cut/puncture the throat. More than likely, his belly would be most accessible. Just keep trying to gut him. Hopefully that particular dogs threshold will not exceed his guts hanging out of his belly. Pit bull did exactly that to my kid sister, my Dad hit it over the shoulders with a 2x4, it let go and ran off. Brother and me found the dog at some house later that evening under someones truck. I had a machete, he had my Dad's old 22 with cheap ammo. Didn't ask no questions. We just put some 22 in him, dragged him out, and went to work on him. What that dog did wasn't going to stand. Everthing turned out okay. Years later, same thing almost happened with my brothers kids, soon as I saw the dog coming, out came my glock23/150's +P's from Cor-bon, i think. Broke the shoulder, no exit, stopped and turned. Dog officers later put the dog down.
Old January 19, 2005, 02:40 AM   #60
swiper1

I am an Officer in NJ. About three years ago on Superbowl Sunday I was chasing an armed suspect and caught him in an old what I though was abandoned crack house. Inside was a pitbull who's voicebox had been surgically removed by a Vet. I never heard or saw him coming until he was nawing on my right thigh. I couldn't shoot because I would have killed the suspect who was already cuffed on the ground underneath us. As I pulled away to get him off my partner came in and dragged the suspect away from us. Meanwhile another Officer came in and said "Poke your pen inside his mouth underneath his tongue!" So I did and he immediately came off!! I then was forced to shoot several times because the dog lunged at me almost immediately after releasing his grip. So yes sticking a sharp object underneath his tongue will work, but what will you do then?