The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 22, 2004, 11:00 PM   #1
Conservadude

1-2-3 Training sequence?

Hi,

New at concealed carry and sporting a new Kahr PM9. I've shot plenty of guns and larger pistols, but haven't any real training or real concentrated effort at doing such ...just shooting up targets for fun. Soooo....

I want to cross the bridge and gain some skill, primarily for self-defense and also for situational shooting fun and maybe competition. It's obvious to me that my grip and shooting requires some work. It takes being veerrrrrrrryyy slow on the trigger for me to hit the bottom of a soup can (facing me) from 15+ feet back ...a humbling experience.

I figure that the best way to start is to watch video or read a recommended book to at least start using the right kind of grip and to do the right kind of trigger pull, then once I at least get a little of the wet out from behind my ears, I can go for more serious training and practice.

Suggestions? Is the video or book route a good way to start or should I go get training and then follow up with additional study? What video, book(s), training do you recommend? Sorry if this question has been asked before ...

Regards,
Brian
Old December 22, 2004, 11:20 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Books and videos are nice, but if you are developing primary skills, you really should get some professional instruction. There is no reason to try self teaching via video and books when you don't have a firm foundation in the basics. After you get all the basics down pat, then integrating things from vids or books will prove most effective. If you self teach now, you run the very real risk of learning improper or inefficient techniques that will have to be UNlearned with proper training. Unlearning bad habits is a lot harder than learning good habits.
Old December 23, 2004, 11:19 AM   #3
seb5

I agree with the above post. Until you have a good foundation you might just be reinforcing bad habits. We call it marksmanship masturbation. Are you shooting 500 rounds or 1 round 500 times? Get a good unbiased person who knows what he/she is doing to watch you and point out thier observations and maybe give some pointers. Once you have a dood solid foundation, then train, train, train. There is nothing wrong with getting help initially.
Old December 23, 2004, 04:33 PM   #4
Conservadude

Thanks, folks. I'll look into training ...my wife says "It'll be fun!". May as well get started.

Brian

Old December 23, 2004, 11:37 PM   #5
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Conservadude-

Clint Smith recently moved Thunder Ranch from Texas to Oregon, so you now have one of the best in the world very close to you.
www.thunderranchinc.com

Denny
Old December 30, 2004, 05:02 PM   #6
Conservadude

I looked up Thunder Ranch ...WAAaaaaaaaaaay out in the middle of nowhere in southern Oregon right above the border. I've lived in Oregon all my life and have never yet made it to that neck of the woods ...although I intend to. Good antelope hunting down thataway. The only thing further away is SE Oregon ...desolate but pretty. The pix look like Thunder Ranch is at least mostly up in the Cascades and very beautiful country. I'm jealous actually, but it would require a substantial time and money investment for me to go that route... maybe later after I have trained more and the finer points won't be wasted on me.

Brian

PS: My wife has decided to train with me, both individually and as a team. That's great, but it further doubles the cost ...sigh.