The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 5, 2010, 10:06 PM   #51
Steam Boat

When you see that "Gotta Have" gun on Gun Broker and none of the online stores or local dealers have it in stock, some people don't have the self control to wait until one can be found at a more reasonable price and hit the buy now button and pay that outrageous price just to have it at be able to say to their buddies " look what I got and nobody else does. "
Old February 6, 2010, 09:23 PM   #52
jad0110

Quote:
Sometimes an auction site is the only place to find a rare or unusual item. You could spend your whole life waiting in vain for a nice Webley-Fosbery semiautomatic revolver to pop up in your local shop, for example.
I agree. And as Steam Boat points out above, it is really easy to pay too much when an unusual gun does show up.

Sometimes, but not always. I found this S&W pre-10 Transitional model K Frame (made in '47, I believe) with numbers matching diamond magnas, a hammer block safety and a pre-war long action. As an added bonus, this one was fine tuned by the very well respected Deane W. King sometime before his death in the early 50s. This gun also has the "Cockeyed King Hammer" - King welded an extension on to one side of the hammer to ease thumb cocking and recheckered it by hand. His craftsmanship was so good that it looks like the hammer was forged that way at the factory.

Paid $300 for it.

Old February 6, 2010, 11:37 PM   #53
GERONIMO

Auction Arms is where I usally go..Gunbroker is for the rich and the crazy w/to much money..I have bought a couple;but stop bidding for stuff when I hit my limit..Can get what you need at AA for alot less..Checked out what u were looking for and found one;if you win;they pay the shipping..That's a deal in its self..
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...8556&oh=216543
Old June 28, 2017, 05:31 AM   #54
edteach

Its been several years and we have gone through sandy hook and now prices are way down. But I see GB sellers are still trying to get way high prices. Try to find a TRS25 for less than 80 bucks. I can buy them all day long new for around 60. Once prices go up people think they will go up for ever. Not the case. They do go down and have. I don't even look there anymore.
Old June 28, 2017, 05:41 AM   #55
CajunBass

If I'm selling, I can ASK any price I want.

If you're buying, you can either pay it, offer less, or move on.

Ain't freedom wonderful?

(I have never bought or sold anything on an auction site.)
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 28, 2017, 06:09 AM   #56
edteach

and as I look there area a lot of ZERO bidders. LOL Screw em if they are asking that much.
Old June 28, 2017, 08:10 AM   #57
JWT

This thread is 7+ years old.
Old June 28, 2017, 08:48 AM   #58
edteach

It was noted in the post.
Old June 28, 2017, 08:51 AM   #59
ndking1126

Its kind of a badge of honor of your thread is resurrected, especially after 7 years.

One of the hardest things for me to get my mind wrapped around in college business classes is that consumers don't act rationally. I didn't believe it. I have the same mindset as you guys.. shop around a little and save.

Eventually I learned my professors were right and I was wrong. The older I get the more blatantly obvious it is that I was wrong and the professor was right.
Old June 28, 2017, 10:50 AM   #60
Glenn E. Meyer

Gee - badge of what?

Closed.