The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2024, 10:12 AM   #1
Para Bellum

Change Glock Tritium Sights – for what else without Tritium?

Hi folks!

I want to get rid of the tritium sights on all of my Glocks. What sights without tritium would you recommend?

I carry my Glocks for defence and hunting.

Have a good weekend,
PB
Old February 17, 2024, 12:34 PM   #2
Nathan

Interesting, why?
Old February 17, 2024, 04:16 PM   #3
bamaranger

why

Sights on a firearm are a sort of personal thing, what one guy likes, prefers or can see, another may not. And those preferences can change as ones eyes age over time. I have never cared for Glock factory sights, even when my eyes were young there was just not enough daylight in the sight picture to set the front post off enough to satisfy me. Either the rear notch needed to be wider, or the front post needs to be narrower.....to suit me. Plus, I had two occasions where the plastic Glock front sight deformed under an impact (stuff happens) or the rear sight drifted badly in its notch. The Glock pistol is tough, but their sights almost seem as if they are disposable and made to be replaced.

Though I recognize the advantages of night sights on a defensive pistol, for a hunting or competition rig, the nature of their construction (the dark perimeter sight body, translucent ring and tritium vial) add up to a very busy front sight (for me) and I prefer (or at least used to) plain black on black sights for range and for field. At age 65 my eyes have now slipped enough that black/black is not such a good arrangement, and Big Dots, fiber optics and red dots ( and shooting glasses) are in my future.

There are lots of Glock sight options. Though I am leaning towards XS Big Dots (unfortunately), the Sevigny black/black competition steel sights offer a narrow front blade and sufficiently wide rear notch to be easily seen and are very popular.
Old February 18, 2024, 06:08 AM   #4
BarryLee

Well, fiber optic springs to mind.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 18, 2024, 06:13 AM   #5
jmr40

Night sights are good for 7-10 years before you have to go to the trouble and expense of replacing them which can get expensive if you own multiple guns. Anymore I'd much rather just attach a light to the frame and forget about night sights.

I have no issue at all with the plastic factory Glock sights and my gunsmith has a box full of them he has taken off other guns. He gave me a couple of sets and charged me $20 each to install them. Works fine for me

On another gun I used a toothpick to simply paint over the dead night sights with white paint and now have a 3 dot sight setup. I can see them much better than the night sights anyway and there was no cost. I already had paint and toothpicks.

Winston Churchill
Old February 18, 2024, 12:30 PM   #6
tangolima

The set of tritium sights on my Glock 23 are dimming. I plan to put red dot on it, together with a LED light / laser combo on its rail. It is going to be way better.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old February 20, 2024, 04:02 PM   #7
TunnelRat

Change Glock Tritium Sights – for what else without Tritium?

Fiber optic sights seem a reasonable alternative. The problem I have seen there is that I am rarely in lighting conditions that seem good for fiber optics. The outdoor range I use has an overhang for rain and snow, and unless I go forward of the shooting line I’m not in direct sun. Shooting at indoor ranges doesn’t seem to get the front sight to “glow” either.
Old February 22, 2024, 06:44 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

So my question would be why you want to change them, or rather, what do you dislike about the sights?

Several possibilities come to mind

You dislike tritium
you dislike bright sights in general (which would rule out fiber sights), Possible you want all black sights without even paint
You dislike the sights that are on the gun, but don't want to spend money in tritium going forward

I would need to understand why you don't like what you have so i don't suggest things that have the same issue.

Personally I am a fan of the Trijicon sights with the red dot in the front. I believe you can get them with out without tritium if I am not mistaken.
Old February 23, 2024, 10:21 AM   #9
wild cat mccane

If you do something bright again, check out if you like green. Anything paint, white is the highest contrast on black.

The human eyes not only sees green better than the other sight colors, we see green the best of all colors.

Here's a pic of my Dawson green fiber in the bag. You'll see the green tip glowing at the bottom corner, see if your eye notices any of the red color print on the paper after you see the tip. It's like it becomes invisible to your eye almost.

With LPA red fiber off but in picture. Pretty obvious which is more noticeable.
Old February 23, 2024, 10:31 AM   #10
wild cat mccane

I like white dot paint the most to be honest. Perfect situation fiber is best. But if not, you have black on black.

I also disagree with the opinion that factory glock sights aren't good.

What confuses me about that opinion is I look at my S&W 686 sight pictures, a revolver people know is fairly accurate stock...and what's the sight difference? instead of a precise circle like the glock, the 686 has an non defined rectangle in orange.

I'd prefer the dot on the 686 like the Glock to be honest.
Old February 25, 2024, 11:54 AM   #11
zeke

Everyone's eyes and purpose's can be different. Am liking the Glock's oem white sights, although wish they were steel. For my purposes, did not get the Glocks for target shooting, and can see the white sights adequately while focusing on the target (close range). Can also easily pick up and focus on the front sight when moving back. Others certainly have differing purpose, technique and eyes. Like to call Glocks bold and bright white sights "old man sights". None of the pistols owned have "night sights" any longer. Some of the revolvers have the rear notch widened, and the front post in day glow green.