The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

View Poll Results: Most Economic SAA?
Navy Arms 4 5.56%
Cimarron 8 11.11%
Taurus Gaucho 7 9.72%
Uberti 32 44.44%
Beretta 5 6.94%
Ruger's New Vaquero 19 26.39%
EMF 2 2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9, 2006, 08:26 AM   #1
Boar

Great SAA for the money?

I've reposted this under cowboy shooting b/c you can probably help me more than anyone with this question!

I've looked at thousands of threads and no one seems to agree on ANYTHING! Ahhhhh! I want to know which economic Single Action Army pistol is the best for the buck. I don't care if they're all made by Uberti etc. Just tell me which brand you've had the best experience with b/c all companies like EMF and Navy Arms have different standards in their pistols quality. Out of Uberti (itself), Navy Arms, Ruger's New Vaquero, Taurus Gaucho, EAA Bounty Hunter, Beretta's Stampede and Cimarron (and any ECONOMICALLY suited brand you can think of) which is the best bang for the buck.

(Are there any SAA's that have the original firing pin hammer?)

Please, don't tell me about your friends gun, tell me about your experiences with a firearm.

Most Economic SAA?
Navy Arms
Cimarron
Taurus Gaucho
Uberti
Beretta
Ruger's New Vaquero
EMF
Old May 9, 2006, 12:00 PM   #2
Hafoc

I almost hate to vote here because I've only owned three of these. I'm being asked to say which one is best, when I've owned three, handled a fourth once, and have never even SEEN the other three. No wonder most people only praise the one they own; it may be the only one they've ever even handled!

Gaucho-- my current favorite. Great handling, good triger, good timing, seems to be a quality weapon. It's made with leaf springs so it may have problems breaking them as Colts and clones sometimes do, but it does have a transfer bar. Although many people don't like them, I do. It would let me carry the thing fully loaded, safely. Although I WOULD have to very carefully lower the hammer on a live cartridge to do that; a somewhat questionable practice, imho.

New Vaquero-- The one I had previously. Has the Ruger New Model action, which is probably the strongest and safest thing going. All coil springs. Given reasonable care, I'd be surprised if you ever needed repairs done on it in a lifetime of shooting. The action doesn't feel or operate like a Colt, clone, or Gaucho. To me it felt a bit heavy. The trigger wasn't as good as the Gaucho. I decided I wanted a shiny stainless gun with a 5.5 inch barrel instead of blued with the shorter barrel; had my Vaquero been that finish and length, I think I would have kept it instead of trading it in on the Taurus.

EMF-- I had one of their Hartford models a few years back. It was special order because I wanted it nickel-plated. When it came it was a beautiful gun, but often the cylinder didn't lock properly; tended to spin past the locking point and end up halfway between chambers. Also, its screws shot loose ALL the TIME. I carried a screwdriver and tightened up the grip frame screws after each cylinder load of shells. It got annoying enough that I just sold it after a while.
Old May 9, 2006, 12:02 PM   #3
Hafoc

Oh, yeah, the firing pin hammer part: the EMF had it. AWA (American Western Arms) does too. The Ruger and Gaucho definitely don't, and I don't think the Beretta does either. Although I only handled that for a few minutes, so I'm not sure.
Old May 9, 2006, 01:13 PM   #4
big jon

what to buy?

well, at one time or another ive owned just anything you can think of, but i allways stayed away from the colt ssa mostly because of the cost, but the more i think abought it i should of bit the bullett back then when they cost a thousand less, i resently bought a beretta ssa, and when i was looking, i kept compairing all the ssa to the colt. the berreta i bought shot so far to the left it was off the paper @ 25 yards. they gave me a new one but its been a big pain in the __. so all that said save the money and buy the real think, think abought it how many colt owners have you met that regret there purcase, thats not even to say that the $ for these guns just keeps going up and what a treasue you can leave you kids... best of luck.. big.
Old May 9, 2006, 02:27 PM   #5
Brent Vinson

Best SAA clone for the money

greetings,

Bought an Uberti "cattleman" 4.75" .45 Colt at Bass Pro for $ 375.00.
I had the clerk let me look at four examples and picked the best one.
All four were pretty good. Black powder style frame,, "bulleye" ejector, hammer mounted firing pin. Really does look like an original Colt. Case colors are sorta dull but fit and finish were good. I replaced the grip frame wiht a 1860 Army piece from VTI. I like the bigger grip. I tore it down and cleaned out the factory lube. Internal finish was really quite good where it counted.
I've got about 600 rounds through it and it justs shoots better and better !

Got no complaints, I'd buy another if I needed one.

Cincy Slim
Old May 9, 2006, 08:09 PM   #6
Eghad

I picked up an older model Ruger Vaquero Bisley . 44 Spcl for $299 in VG shape. I was looking at Cimmarons at Buffalo Arms the other day the price was decent and they looked pretty good.

I would see if you can find an older model Ruger Vaqeuro..they are built on a bigger frame so you can work up some handloads with some zing also when you are not shooting cowboy loads.

eventually I see myself ending up with a lever gun/ SAA Clone in .38 Spcl just because they are so cheap to shoot.

NRA Life Member
Old May 10, 2006, 01:44 AM   #7
Smokin_Gun

The Uberti 1873 SAA has the pinned replaceable firing pin on hammer...probly the best price and origianality for your buck. A beautiful piece a work, color and case hardening great. Try and find a couple Mfgs. you want at a gunshop if the price so soots you, find one cheaper on line. and get it.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 10, 2006, 04:44 PM   #8
riverrat66

American Arms "Regulator"

I bought an American Arms "Regulator" w/ 7.5" barrel in .45 Colt that has an additional cylinder for .45 acp. The outstanding color case with brass trigger guard makes for a beautiful firearm. It has a pinned replaceable firing pin on hammer and a hammer block mechanism and the gun shoots exactly where I point it. The only drawback for me is I find the grip to be a little small for my liking. I purchased this wonderful handgun with the extra cylinder in 1996 for $350. I think this is the next best thing to owning a Colt SSA and it's a lot cheaper. In fact you could buy three of these and still have money left to buy some ammo!
Life Member Harley Owners Group
Old May 12, 2006, 10:17 AM   #9
sheepdip

Cabela's Millenium Centerfire Revolver Item:IG-213900 bought mine for $200.00 when it first came out - .45 cal. I like and shoot it alot. Now cost $300.00

Old May 12, 2006, 11:39 AM   #10
sundance44s

sundance44s

Sheep ... how does it shoot ? i noticed it looks like you haven`t had to do any fileing on the front sight .. does it shoot POA pretty well ? have you shot any B/P hand loads out of it ? if so how did it function with the B/P ? sorry to ask so many questions .. but for the price and the fact it is made by Uberti .. i just gotta have one ..before the price goes up .. been wanting to try one for a while now ....thanks
Old May 23, 2006, 12:11 PM   #11
sheepdip

sundance44s,

Have not used B/P But should work fine.
Yes the front sight was tall but I didn't want to file it so I just painted a white line where it was needed. Shoots to center.
Old June 17, 2006, 12:29 AM   #12
SRG

U.S. Firearms. Better than Colt. They're like Colt used to be fifty years ago.
Old June 18, 2006, 07:10 AM   #13
txpete

I bought a "new" vaquero in 45 colt 2 weeks ago.very happy with it.

Old June 18, 2006, 08:33 AM   #14
big jon

"??

if i were you ied spend some time on the sass web site and ask some questions ive had nothing but problems with the stampede i bought,(it dosnt shoot poa?) i learned that most shooters dont care? cowboy matches now a days are real close. i think it depends on what you want out of it, i can have my gun fixed to shoot poa for a couple hundred dollars,but ied have over 700 into my 450 gun? gool luck
Old June 18, 2006, 09:32 AM   #15
jakerudy

Only SAA I own is an all original 1st generation. Great gun to shoot but that isn't your question. I bought this gun from a trusted Colt collector who shoots some SASS with his Colt's. Even though he shoots a Colt he has always said if you want to shoot a reliable single action that won't give you any trouble get a Vaquero.

I have shot a Uberti, nice gun just not the fit of my Colt. I would avoid AWA as I know a guy that has one that will malfunction shooting anything but very light loads. The dealer he got it from stopped carrying them due to poor factory service.

Last edited by jakerudy; June 18, 2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old June 18, 2006, 12:08 PM   #16
Eghad

Just bought a NIB Uberti Cattleman for $350.00. I am satisfied with the looks, fit & fininsh of the pistol.

NRA Life Member
Old July 14, 2006, 02:20 PM   #17
vpjack

For the bucks it's hard to beat the Uberti's, I picked up a set of Tristar branded ones in regular polished blue finish with brass grip frame in .357 for $260 each. Less than the Cabela's and better looking too. They shoot to point of aim and I've had no problems with them at all. however I will say that these are my backup and loaner guns. My #1 set is a pair of Ruger's, just about unbreakable and being a little largrt fit my hand better.

Jack(just my 2 cents and worth every penny)
Old July 23, 2006, 11:48 AM   #18
TexasSIGMan

Well the poll is a bit misleading.

Cimarron and Uberti are the same MANUFACTURER, but Cimarron takes the parts from Uberti and does their own finish and final assembly.

All I will buy now is Cimarron, both for centerfire and BP.

I find their attention to detail and finish makes a big difference, and the small price increase to be well offset by that.
Old July 23, 2006, 10:11 PM   #19
SRG

Another vote for Charles Daly. Made by Pietta of Italy. On the inexpensive side. If you want quality that tops Colt, U.S. Firearms is the best.
Old October 31, 2008, 12:43 PM   #20
gabrielvox

USFA Rodeo

The US Firearms rodeo or new rodeo II are the best quality i have ever owned except for my USFA SAA. But the rodeos are my shooter guns since they are half the price.
Old October 31, 2008, 01:37 PM   #21
Hawg

I've got a Uberti by Cimarron and a Uberti Cattleman. The finish is better on the Cimarron but both shoot to POA laterally at 25 yds., just low. All Uberti's front sights are made tall so they can be filed down. Just make sure you have the load you're always going to use before you file them down. They do have the hammer mounted firing pin and Colt patent dates on the frame as well as four clicks when you cock the hammer. I don't like Rugers (yes I've had a couple)because they're nothing like a Colt. No hammer clicks, no half cock, cylinder freewheels when the loading gate is open and that disgusting transfer bar. Somebody mentioned USFA. For the same money or close to it you can get a Colt.
Old October 31, 2008, 01:50 PM   #22
nate45

Beretta owns 80+% of Uberti and Uberti makes the Beretta Stampede, but the Stampede is a much better finished pistol than the Uberti, I have owned both and have a friend who is a dealer for both brands and have handled many examples of both.

Stampede DeLuxe
Old October 31, 2008, 03:39 PM   #23
kwhi43

American Arms Regulator

Here is mine, made by Uberti. Action is a little rough but it shoots right to
where the sights are at 25 yds. Right dead on. Paid 250.00 from a gun shop.
Old October 31, 2008, 08:24 PM   #24
CraigC

Uberti's are good guns for the money and getting better all the time. I've been impressed with the several guns I own by that maker. Cimarron is made by Uberti but typically a little better in fit and finish. For me they've also been very good in the customer service department. They're mostly traditional style guns with the hammer mounted firing pin. Easily slicked up with a little stone work and new springs. The Beretta is another good one with the transfer bar ignition if that blows your skirt up, it doesn't do much for me. Even though it is very close in dimensions to the SAA, I don't really consider the New Vaquero a replica. Excellent guns but totally different lockwork. USFA builds the best SAA available anywhere, head and shoulders above Colt but you will pay for that quality. They're still a bargain for what you get and their base SAA with polished hammer is available for under $800. USFA's are the easiest to slick up, all they need is new springs. Colt has gotten much better in the past couple years but they still have improvements to make. Still can't seem to get the chamber mouths right on the .45's. Colt's have always been more than a little rough on the inside.
Old November 1, 2008, 07:03 PM   #25
Gaucho Gringo

My personal favorite is my Taurus Gaucho in .357. I also have a Ruger Blackhawk which is the same gun as the old Vaquero, the only difference is the Blackhawk has adjustable sights. The Gaucho fit and finish are real good, the blueing is beautiful and the silky smooth hammer and trigger action is so good you don't need an action job. I know other people have had problems with them, but I have had mine over 2 years now and no problems. The Ruger may be sturdier but it feels like a brick in my hand in comparison to the Gaucho. I will eventually sell it and buy another Gaucho.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8