The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Howdy Doody

Beginner needs help

Old guy (57) here, but new to the sport. I have some questions regarding grain weights. I'm currently shooting .22's and in doing so, noticed there are 36gr, 38gr, 40gr... etc. Now, as I understand it, a grain is a unit of measurement, in this case I'm guessing the gun powder. However it seems the higher you go in grains, the slower the velocity. Now I know different gun powders have different amounts of stored energy, but given a particular powder, how can more grains result in less velocity out of the same weapon?

I'd be more than happy to do my own research, but I'm at a loss as to what to enter in the search engine.

Thanks! HD
Old February 14, 2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Doodlebugger45

Yes, grains are a unit of weight. In the case of .22's though, or any factory ammo, they are telling you the weight of the bullet only. They never give you any info about powder. Hence, the higher the number of grains, the heavier the bullet it, and the slower the velocity.

You do know you can't reload .22's' right?
Old February 14, 2011, 06:17 PM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
You do know you can't reload .22's' right?
Not quite, you can reload .22 centerfire cartridges, like the common .223 Remington. It's the rimfire .22 cartridges, like the .22LR, that can't be reloaded.
Old February 14, 2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Howdy Doody

Yup, I knew that. Just wondering that's all.

That holds true with centerfire as well? That the grain weight is the weight of the bullet, rather than anything to do with the powder? Just askin'.
Old February 14, 2011, 06:58 PM   #5
GP100man

Yep , just the bullet ! some will state velocitys in feet/per/second but that`s as close to giving ya insight on the power level as most gets !!!

The powders that the factorys use most of the time is different from the canister powders avaiable to handloaders.
Old February 14, 2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Howdy Doody

Thanks guys!
Old February 14, 2011, 07:07 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yup, I knew that. Just wondering that's all.

That holds true with centerfire as well? That the grain weight is the weight of the bullet, rather than anything to do with the powder? Just askin'.
That's correct so far as what information is on a box of factory loaded ammo.

If you're loading your own, and discussing the recipe, you would also include the type of powder and amount, in grains.

For instance, I load my 7mm-08 with 110 grain Barnes TTSX bullets and 42.2 grains IMR 3031 powder.
Old February 14, 2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Howdy Doody

So on the factory loads, your only getting half the story! I guess that explains all the experiments a guy reads about when a discussion of reloading is going on! 'Preciate the the headsup!