The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 22, 2007, 07:52 AM   #126
UH1-D Rotorhead

There is a fella' with...

....your name who makes those....hmmmmm
Old March 22, 2007, 08:22 AM   #127
JR47

A. G. Russell has a list of knife blade materials.

I have, as stated before, carried a Spyderco Standard for going on 25 years now. In that time I have only had 2. The original SpyderEdge, with the clip formed out of the scale, was lost in the early 90s at a building collapse in a blizzard. It was replaced with a later version, with the clip attached via 3 screws, and rides on my belt today. It's never let me down.

The SS Delica is the current iteration of this knife. The Delica IV, with the Wave opening shape, isn't as nice to me. There are any number of NIB versions on Epay.

My wife has recently decided to carry a Kershaw Scallion, in gray, with a combo edge. She works in a grocery store, and the knife just seems a natural to her.
Old March 22, 2007, 09:50 AM   #128
FirstFreedom

Impressive, redneck fur!
Old March 22, 2007, 10:12 AM   #129
mtnbkr

I've been carrying a Chris Reeve Small Sebenza for the past few years. After trying various production and custom knives, this knife has the best combination of properties that makes it work for me. I haven't purchased a knife since getting it. Prior to that, I was buying a new knife every few months.

Chris
Old March 22, 2007, 02:36 PM   #130
UH1-D Rotorhead

Another Spyderco...

...they really do make a fine knife....
Old March 23, 2007, 04:00 PM   #131
AK103K

These are what I usually have along, a Spyderco "Wegner" and a German Fallschirmjager knife, along with a Bark River "Trickle", and few others on occasion.

Old March 23, 2007, 05:14 PM   #132
Rangefinder

Knife?? I don't carry no stinking little knife...

Ok, so I only carry the bearded axe on special occasions... Couldn't resist though. Normally it's a $10 utility folder that I won't miss when it gets lost or "borrowed" at work and have to replace it with some other $10 utility folder.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old March 23, 2007, 05:38 PM   #133
RedneckFur

Mad Martigan.. I dont know any online resources that tell about steels used in knives, but if there was, i wouldnt trust it. I've seen esentially the same hardness of steel from diffrent manufactures that didnt compare in any way. 440 stainless from buck and 440 stainless from something cheap like united cutlery doenst compare.

It takes a while to train yourself to do it, but I've developed an ablitly to 'feel' the quality in a knife. I dont know how to explain it, but with pratice you can draw a blade inbetween your fingertips and that will tell you everything you need to know about it.

I've also fond that the best way to sharpen is not by the use or a guide, or by sight, but to sharpen by sound. Proper blade angle changes from knife to knife, but when its in its sweet spot, it will let you know. The sound changes. I sharpen only with arkensas stones, but I do ocasionally use a diamond stone to take the factory edge off a new knife. Saves me a few hours time.

Gerber is a good knife, but the steel is very hard. You'll need a diamond stone or perhaps carbide to maintain the edge. Some people love gerbers, but the difficulty in sharpening one turned me off of them.

As far as steel quality goes, its very hard to beat an old case trapper, or an Old Timer 3 blade stockman. Jam the blades down in a potato and let them sit overnight before really sharpening them. Its very easy to get a sharper than shaving edge on those knives.

In hunting knives.... watch ebay for anything by liberty cutlery from germany. They havent been made in 40 years, to my knowledge. Their ability to get sharp scares me. I've got one that I've maintained the last few years with just a strop.
Old March 23, 2007, 09:49 PM   #134
FirstFreedom

Ask and ye shall receive

Who's asking about steel guides?

http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=3

http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/steel.php

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=368828
Old March 23, 2007, 10:13 PM   #135
Ichiro

After owning a bunch of Spydercos, CRKTs, Cold Steels, and some others, I've settled on the $19 Ka-Bar Dozier models. I have 5 of them, and they're great.
Old March 23, 2007, 11:38 PM   #136
Seamus

Ka-Bar Mule (Field Folder 3051) partial serration. Just fits in side pocket of carpenter jeans. Strong lock up. Stands up to the elements.
Old March 23, 2007, 11:51 PM   #137
AZGunLover

I carry a benchmade
Old March 23, 2007, 11:54 PM   #138
Double J

Old three bladed Ranger pocket knife, rust spots on blades, full of lint, cracked handle,tip of one blade broke off. Can't seem to loose it, not worth stealing, and I'm too cheap to buy another.
Old March 24, 2007, 12:02 AM   #139
Thunderhawk88

Having been a scout leader for years, I carry a standard ol' Boy Scout pocket knife Over the last 25 years I have had two of them. When I go out in the desert I carry a Marine Corps K-Bar.
Old March 24, 2007, 12:41 AM   #140
FirstFreedom

I've been carrying lately my new Kershaw Avalanche:

http://www.thebladeshop.com/index.as...FRlmWAodwHkIVw

I've got three G10/S30V Kershaws now: Leek, Spec Bump, and Avalanche.
Old March 24, 2007, 01:27 AM   #141
Mad Martigan

Spec Bump would probably be my first pick, but I'm not willing to spend the cash.

The KaBar comments have got me thinking about a Warthog II maybe. It sure would be a lot cheaper.

Interesting stuff, guys. Keep it coming!
Marlin 336(.30-30, .35), 1895 .450, Model 60SS
Old March 24, 2007, 08:56 PM   #142
habeuscorpse

WalMart has a run on some little folders for 99 cents. So light you cannnot feel it the pocket. Lose it and you are not hurt. Great little utility knife around the farm or in the boat.
Old March 24, 2007, 10:20 PM   #143
Jeffenwulf

I've got a couple of those 99 cent knives around. Garage, car, bedroom ... they're cheap and they cut things, how can you go wrong?

The knife I normally carry is a Gerber paraframe. The other one that I sometimes have on me was a gift. It's a Smith and Wesson Extreme Ops.
Old March 24, 2007, 10:50 PM   #144
johnyoung

Either a Camillus CUDA Maxx 5.5 or a Boker Escrima Folding Dagger
Old March 25, 2007, 12:27 AM   #145
RedneckFur

those folding box cutters put out by craftsman and a few other companies are good work knives too. when it gets dull, just toss the blade and put in a new one. they fold like a pocket knife, and have a pocket clip so they are easy to cary.
Old March 26, 2007, 06:19 AM   #146
BanginMusket

I do not really know how to use knives. But I want to learn some moves.

Old March 26, 2007, 03:14 PM   #147
jfeenin

I have an old two bladed Buck Croslock I carry. One is fully serrated the other is a drop point. My son got it for me years ago and it's seen a lot. If I am not carrying that my other choice for a daily carry knife is my Leatherman Charge. It's newer and as time goes on spends more time with me than the old Buck but it's a tossup on any given day which I will pick up. When I go out in the woods for anything I always make sure I have a good fixed blade with me as well.
Old March 26, 2007, 08:47 PM   #148
Limeyfellow

I carry a bear balisong knife with a 3 1/2 inch blade. The good thing about it that I like is the blade locks in place and gives you a strength matching a fixed bladed knife, but in a much smaller form that makes it legal to carry in the state without an concealed license.

Gives me the ability to cut wood with it if need be, quick use, non slip and ability to even do fine skinning work and so on. Mine has worked quite well for over 10 years though its finally getting to the stage that I need it repinning.
Old March 27, 2007, 04:11 PM   #149
FirstFreedom

You got a link to that knife, Limey? We talkin' "Bear MGC" company?
Old March 31, 2007, 12:33 PM   #150
FM12

FINALLY got a used Frisco Shiv off ebay,single edge, drop point...pretty nice! Would post pics, but dont know how!!