The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2009, 10:47 AM   #1
chris in va

TC 124gr + HiPoint carbine

This is the last time I get TC bullets. I loaded these suckers down to 1.053 so they fit my CZ 75BD (worked fine) but even that short they won't fit my HiPoint carbine. I rigged a dummy bullet and they only dropped in at 1.02, and I'm wondering what the heck is going on with these chamber dimensions!

Normal OAL is around 1.125 for this bullet, but nothing I have will take it at that length. Am I being paranoid thinking 1.02 would be dangerous with 4.0gr of Universal?
Old September 25, 2009, 11:06 AM   #2
vsgonzo

This .40? Thats wierd cuz i load at 1.130 And my xdm and hk p2000 work flawlessly... Bullet? Is it lead or jacketed? Are your cases to long??

Well on iphone hope your bullets work out for you
Old September 25, 2009, 11:08 AM   #3
chris in va

9mm. Lead TC 124gr. It's all the shop had at the time, and now I know why. Cases are fine.
Old September 25, 2009, 12:39 PM   #4
margiesex

I don't know if I'm helping...

Hey Guy - well, if I get you, you can't get the 124 grain to feed in a Hi-Point?

This may not help, but I own a Hi-point 9mm comp (I think they call it) - I also, obviously, roll my own 9's.

I cannot get the Hipt to feed the 124 XTP JHP's - yes, even correct length. In fact, I bought 2 boxes of Hornady factory 124 XTP's and it won't feed them either!

I have sent it back 3 times - great service, I have it back in 10 days or less, but they still haven't fixed the problem - I have given up. The only thing I know it will feed - flawlessly - is the standard 115 grain jacketed roundnose that is the cheapo load over the counter.

I also have had issues with the gun not going off. I suppose it's a weakened hammer spring ( the weapon has less than 1500 rounds through it - counting all the times it's been back to me ) - last time they put a new one in.....so far, it's fired 100 rounds.

I know it's the gun, 'cause my daughter took it and the ones the HiPt didn't fire, she chambered and fired in her Baretta 9000 - no problem.

It's in a baggie in the box where I keep all my extra stuff - along with the 8 clips I have for it (they send me extra clips ever time they send it back to me 'for your inconvenience') - I wish they'd have fixed it. If my daughter ever moves I'll give it to her - she can have it. She loves the fit to her hand and will shoot the 115's if she has to.

Sorry - If I were you, I'd send it back to them...all you have to loose is time - and you may get a few extra clips for 'your inconvenience'!

God bless.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old September 25, 2009, 01:09 PM   #5
chris in va

What a coincidence...mine's been back three times already. I too have a drawerfull of magazines.

Guess I'll just have to plink with the CZ then.

One thing you might try is totally disassembling the gun and hosing everything down with PowderBlast or equivalent. Being a blowback design the gun gets *really* dirty and HiPoint won't clean a gun sent to them. I suspect some crud got stuffed in the striker channel.
Old September 25, 2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Crosshair

Weird. My 9mm Hi-Point will feed 105 grain SWC fine and I load them out to .05" off SAAMI maximum. Is there something different with the TC bullet?

Funny thing. My Hi-Point 4095 will feed more ammo types than my PC-40. The PC-40 WILL NOT feed SWC ammo.
Old September 25, 2009, 05:49 PM   #7
chris in va

I can understand your 105's feeding well as the 'shoulder' or whatever it's called is probably set deeper into the shell than my 124's. My problem is the rifling in the chamber is making contact with the bullet before it can fully seat and gets stuck. No fun.
Old September 25, 2009, 06:24 PM   #8
Crosshair

Quote:
I can understand your 105's feeding well as the 'shoulder' or whatever it's called is probably set deeper into the shell than my 124's. My problem is the rifling in the chamber is making contact with the bullet before it can fully seat and gets stuck. No fun.
Not necessarily, I measured a loaded round and the shoulder is .105" past the case mouth. how far is the shoulder on your loads ahead of the case mouth. Still not sure if it is a problem with the ammo or the gun.
Old September 25, 2009, 09:32 PM   #9
chris in va

Same here, about .100. It seems the rifling starts *right* at the case mouth on the carbine. I did the magic marker trick suggested by other posters and that confirmed my suspicions. The black was swiped off right where the ogive starts. The bullet is .356 right up to that point.
Old September 25, 2009, 10:32 PM   #10
Crosshair

I wonder if your gun has a much shorter throat than mine?
Old September 26, 2009, 11:12 AM   #11
margiesex

More on my Hi-Point

Yep - I tore the thing down - more than once (shot the firing pin directly into the trash can one time - what a joy THAT was) - cleaned it up. Put it back together - no dice. And, (forgive if I'm wrong - haven't looked at them in a L O N G time) - don't the Hipt directions discourage taking them down and cleaning them? Something like if it ain't broke.....

And, boy are you correct - you get them back from the factory dirtier than when they left your house!

In fact, I'm convinced that the first time they actually sent me a new gun - so much was broken or wrong with it.

Sorry - it's the first - and last HiPt for me. (my 669 S&W goes bang all the time!) God bless you guys that are going to the effort to make them work! Hope you are successful!

God bless and good shooting.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your gun - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!