The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2009, 10:15 PM   #1
sliverslinger

Sabot Slug Loads

Hi all...new to your site. I just searched a butt load of archives and it seems that there are a lot of OLD threads about loading sabots, but nothing current. I have been playing with different sabots for about two or three seasons. I'm tired of paying $15 per box for factory loads. ( I'm cheap ok) I've played with Lymans offering, not happy. I went back to factory loads. ( I like being able to punch one hole groups @ 100yds. from my bench. I'm close to what I want to achieve with the Lee keydrive. I'm wondering if anyone has a pet load that really works good for them..right now I'm running 37gr. of accurate#5 ,windjammer wad, in a AA hull. One hole at 50yds. ANy suggestions?
Old September 24, 2009, 01:02 AM   #2
snuffy

Quote:
One hole at 50yds. ANy suggestions?
Heck, that's easy, just shoot at the target once!

The two you mentioned are really all there is. BPI came out with a sabot last year for reloaders. The claims of ultra high velocity never panned out. Neither did the accuracy. Now I see they quit selling them!

The reason the big ammo companies charge so much is, it took years and untold thousands of $$$$ to come up with those super sabot loads. They simply want their money paid back, plus make a profit.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 24, 2009, 04:51 PM   #3
sliverslinger

I could just shoot one round ...that would do it. I guess I should have qualified that statement as a three round group.. I had that coming. I just wondered if anyone here has messed with different load combinations, other powders other wads etc. I have tried WAA12's ,114's, windjammers. AAhulls, Remington STP's, Federal Gold Medal Plastic,etc. I'd like to get this thing worked out before I completely blow my shoulder out, or worse yet develope a flinch. (bad for shootin the .280)
My last two options are to use my paper hulls or change powders again and start all over, getting too close to deer season to do much more.