The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2009, 09:03 AM   #1
NUKE HUNTER

im hooked

i shot my first reloads yesterday, and im very happy all 10 went off and i didnt blow my face up ! i reloaded 7 mm rem mag with 58 gr. of imr 4350,cci mag primers and 139 gr hornady interlock bullets. i followed the lyman book for this recipe. it was a min. load. the 10 shot group was a 2"spread. not the best but for my first batch i was excited. i just made another 10 and bumped up the charge another grain.im not a benchrest shooter,just like punching holes when i can get a chance. i would like to say that this site is full of some great info and just reading all of the stuff gave me the confidence to start this addicting hobby. i cant wait to start my pistol reloading.
Old September 22, 2009, 09:58 AM   #2
chris in va

Did it make you nervous? I have 100 9mm cartridges waiting to be shot, my first effort and I'm having all kinds of visuals. Everything is loaded toward the bottom, but due to the bullet design I bought and type of gun I had to make them shorter than usual to chamber properly.

Sweatin' bullets takes on a whole new meaning.
Old September 22, 2009, 10:27 AM   #3
dbomb

I agree, you start looking into your safety gear alot closer, makes you think what else you can protect other than your eyes
Old September 22, 2009, 11:02 AM   #4
margiesex

Well, you'll enjoy it for life!

Fellas - I think it's just great that new guys are coming into this hobby/passion all the time!

I remember sneaking down to the basement and trying to do what my brother was doing and breaking off decapping pins......I don't think he ever found out it was me, I think he just figured some broke!

In any event I was hooked. I still enjoy it - 40 years later - and I still have many days I'd rather load than shoot - that may sound strange, but it's true!

Nothing like the smell of a new pound of 4064!

And the sense of satisfaction that comes from getting that one, small ragged hole after 5 or 10 shots...not to be compared to much else in my book!

Keep at it - you'll love it more and more as the days and powders and calibers change!

God bless and good shooting!

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old September 22, 2009, 11:09 AM   #5
NUKE HUNTER

i was nervous but after each shot my smile got bigger and bigger. i should have started this 20 years ago !
Old September 22, 2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Blue Grass

YOU HAVE BEEN ASSIMILATED. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Welcome to the other half of the shooting sports. I've been reloading since 1974 and have come to enjoy it as much as shooting. I felt the same way about my first reloads. If you follow the load manuals and use proper technique, you'll still be enjoying this hobby when you're an old fart like me.
Old September 22, 2009, 04:12 PM   #7
72gator

Not a virgin anymore!

I just loaded my first batches this weekend as well. There is a teeny, tiny bit of apprehension. I was a little surprised with the accuracy of the loads, being first time and all. Anyway, I loaded 130 gr. BT in the .270 Win with 47 gr of H-380 as well as 100 gr BT in .243. I am obsessed with the process now, and can't wait to load some more.
Old September 22, 2009, 04:53 PM   #8
Tex S

thats a good thing...

Quote:
i shot my first reloads yesterday, and im very happy all 10 went off and i didnt blow my face up !
Thats what we are looking for!!!

Congrats!!! I hope you plan on spending about 10x's the amount of money on reloading supplies as you would have on factory ammo!

Some people say reloading saves money... I have never seen those savings. I do have alot of cool stuff though.
Old September 22, 2009, 10:00 PM   #9
PCJim

Another congrats!

It's always a good feeling when you discover that your own homebrews function, fire and group as good or better than factory.
Old September 22, 2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Bushmaster223

Congrats!!!!

Welcome to the obsession!
Old September 23, 2009, 01:47 PM   #11
jal5

I know the feeling and went through the same apprehension when I shot myfirst reloads about a year ago. The hobby gets better and better though as I learn more about all the different ammo and guns that I reload for.

The most nervous I felt though was when I reloaded for the 9mm P38 from WWII. No need to get nervous that thing is built like a tank!

Joe