The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2022, 11:22 AM   #26
Nathan

First read the manual. It will tell you what is missing.

Second, find a mentor. If you think I can help, PM me.

Three, always improve your process. You really need to think about error proofing. How will you get the same powder charge in each case with relative speed?

For a case trimmer, I always think powered although, I do trim precision rifle on the Wilson without power. I trim semiauto rifle with the TrimIt II. Semi-auto pistol never needs trimmed. Revolver generally never needs trimmed, except in rare cases. Consider the Lee Quick Trim, Lee drill type trimmer or Lyman kit until you know exactly what you want that might cost more.

For chamfer/deburr, get the tools that fit in your drill. Here is the adapter. https://kmshooting.com/product/1-4-h...pter-for-8-32/

For cleaning, a simple dry tumbler works great….and corn cob off Amazon.

Consider going to case wax…it is easiest for bottleneck rifle. Consider Hornady spray case lube for all other.
Old September 10, 2022, 02:17 PM   #27
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
First read the manual. It will tell you what is missing.

Second, find a mentor. If you think I can help, PM me.

Three, always improve your process. You really need to think about error proofing. How will you get the same powder charge in each case with relative speed?

For a case trimmer, I always think powered although, I do trim precision rifle on the Wilson without power. I trim semiauto rifle with the TrimIt II. Semi-auto pistol never needs trimmed. Revolver generally never needs trimmed, except in rare cases. Consider the Lee Quick Trim, Lee drill type trimmer or Lyman kit until you know exactly what you want that might cost more.

For chamfer/deburr, get the tools that fit in your drill. Here is the adapter. https://kmshooting.com/product/1-4-h...pter-for-8-32/

For cleaning, a simple dry tumbler works great….and corn cob off Amazon.

Consider going to case wax…it is easiest for bottleneck rifle. Consider Hornady spray case lube for all other.
Thanks Nathan, I will definitely take a look and message you if I need some help. I will take all the mentoring I can get,
Old September 16, 2022, 08:49 PM   #28
USAF Ret

More questions. I am building up supplies and components and plan on starting reloading after hunting season this year. I was watching some Nosler reloading videos and the guy said if you are starting, it is good to get a universal powder that is good for multiple calibers. He also mention getting powders that are "temperature insensitive." I am reloading for 6.5G, 6.5CR, 308WIN and 270WIN. Any suggestions for one stop shopping for powder and primers to get started?
Old September 16, 2022, 10:08 PM   #29
cdoc42

Did the video offer an example of a "universal" powder? Lots of luck.

I tried Hybrid-V 100 in my 6.5 Creedmoor but it doesn't come close to H-4350.

H-4350 (or IMR) won't touch H-4831 in my .270, and H-1000 does wonders in my 25-06.

Rifles often are like women, each has a particular attraction to its best mate without any explanation other than experimentation.

Primers as well cannot be reduced to one choice. Some powders (slow) need a magnum primer to ensure adequate ignition.
Old September 17, 2022, 06:51 AM   #30
jetinteriorguy

The only way to determine which powder will work for multiple calibers is to buy lots of different powders to experiment with. Thus you wind up with a bunch of powders anyway so might as well just find optimal powder for each rifle and keep it in stock. Thus making the suggestion silly and non sensible. I’ve been down this road, and eventually found the best powders that worked then stocked up on them with 8# jugs.
Old September 17, 2022, 07:59 AM   #31
akinswi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
The only way to determine which powder will work for multiple calibers is to buy lots of different powders to experiment with. Thus you wind up with a bunch of powders anyway so might as well just find optimal powder for each rifle and keep it in stock. Thus making the suggestion silly and non sensible. I’ve been down this road, and eventually found the best powders that worked then stocked up on them with 8# jugs.
+1 what Jet said, why most of us have 30 different powders, then will start mainly using one across multiple firearms, Varget comes to mind so dang versatile.
Old September 17, 2022, 10:45 AM   #32
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinswi View Post
+1 what Jet said, why most of us have 30 different powders, then will start mainly using one across multiple firearms, Varget comes to mind so dang versatile.
Thanks much. This was straight from Nosler, so wanted to confirm with the folks on the ground. Much appreciated.
Old September 19, 2022, 06:35 PM   #33
Marco Califo

When I started reloading rifle cartridges at least 3 decades and many, many moons ago, I looked for that theoretical one powder to do almost everything. I settled on an 8 lb. jug of A-2460 (equivalent, Data Powder 2230C, was not available for long).
Now, years later, I did use it all up in 223 and 308, in mostly LC brass, and recently bought one pound new. Along the way I picked up a jug of WC844 (surplus 5.56), to have used a lot of that, too.
I do now own 30+ powders, across pistol, shotgun, rifle and magnum rifle types. Never regretted A2460 or WC-844 (burns HOT though). Those are medium rifle speed rifle powders, usable in most centerfire rifle cartridges.
Old September 20, 2022, 05:00 AM   #34
jetinteriorguy

One thing you could do. List all the calibers you load for, then consult load data for all these calibers in several load charts and look for powders that are common to these calibers across the charts. This might give you a place to start.
Old September 20, 2022, 12:18 PM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I was watching some Nosler reloading videos and the guy said if you are starting, it is good to get a universal powder that is good for multiple calibers. He also mention getting powders that are "temperature insensitive." I am reloading for 6.5G, 6.5CR, 308WIN and 270WIN. Any suggestions for one stop shopping for powder and primers to get started?
There is no "universal" powder that works equally well in everything. Also, understand the guys with 30+ different powders are looking for what powder(s) work BEST getting them what they want, and not what powder work acceptably well.

Also be aware that the loading data does not contain every powder that can be used in a particular cartridge. Sometimes, a powder is not listed simply because it was not suitable. Sometimes a powder is not listed because they didn't have any on hand when they did the testing....sometimes a powder is not listed simply due to time, cost, and space considerations....

I don't know about the 6.5s you're loading for, my 6.5s are the Swede, but I know the .308 very well, and the .270 also, and there are probably a dozen or more powders that are suitable. Which one is "best"? is something determined by what you consider "best" and what your rifle, with your loads delivers.

I use IMR 4895 to duplicate the military loads in my WWI /WWII milsurp rifles, 06, .303 Brit, 7.62x54R, 7.7 Jap and 8mm Mauser. Works great.

I use a different powder in my .308 loads, not because 4895 won't work (it certainly will) but because I want to, and it "saves" the 4895 for other rounds.

Some don't use the IMR stick powders because they don't like the way they meter through a powder measure, and use a ball or flake type powder instead.

Look at the data for the rounds you're going to load and you'll certainly see a powder or three listed for all of them. Hopefully something you can get in today's shortage plagued market. Get some, and try some loads. That gives you something to use as a baseline for future decisions.
Old September 20, 2022, 02:20 PM   #36
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
There is no "universal" powder that works equally well in everything. Also, understand the guys with 30+ different powders are looking for what powder(s) work BEST getting them what they want, and not what powder work acceptably well.

Also be aware that the loading data does not contain every powder that can be used in a particular cartridge. Sometimes, a powder is not listed simply because it was not suitable. Sometimes a powder is not listed because they didn't have any on hand when they did the testing....sometimes a powder is not listed simply due to time, cost, and space considerations....

I don't know about the 6.5s you're loading for, my 6.5s are the Swede, but I know the .308 very well, and the .270 also, and there are probably a dozen or more powders that are suitable. Which one is "best"? is something determined by what you consider "best" and what your rifle, with your loads delivers.

I use IMR 4895 to duplicate the military loads in my WWI /WWII milsurp rifles, 06, .303 Brit, 7.62x54R, 7.7 Jap and 8mm Mauser. Works great.

I use a different powder in my .308 loads, not because 4895 won't work (it certainly will) but because I want to, and it "saves" the 4895 for other rounds.

Some don't use the IMR stick powders because they don't like the way they meter through a powder measure, and use a ball or flake type powder instead.

Look at the data for the rounds you're going to load and you'll certainly see a powder or three listed for all of them. Hopefully something you can get in today's shortage plagued market. Get some, and try some loads. That gives you something to use as a baseline for future decisions.
Thank you for your input. Still need to get a case trimmer and loading table set up. Spending time reading up and looking for availability of powder and primers. Of course, also trying to time with paydays as well. Haha.
Old September 20, 2022, 02:50 PM   #37
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
More questions. I am building up supplies and components and plan on starting reloading after hunting season this year. I was watching some Nosler reloading videos and the guy said if you are starting, it is good to get a universal powder that is good for multiple calibers. He also mention getting powders that are "temperature insensitive." I am reloading for 6.5G, 6.5CR, 308WIN and 270WIN. Any suggestions for one stop shopping for powder and primers to get started?
Of the 4 cartridges you list ... Varget can be utilized in all of them .
I have seen some accuracy test with 308 Winchester and Berger Bullets and Varget was the hands down champ .
Data for Varget is shown in for all four rounds you have listed in the Hornady Reloading Manual #8 and I'm sure other sources have Varget data . It may not be the best in the 6.5 rounds but data is listed and velocities are respectable .

Do you see why I advised having multiple sources of loading data ... it's never found in one book ... just too many different bullets and powders and combinations of each .
Good Luck and Load Safe,
Gary
Old September 20, 2022, 03:19 PM   #38
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
Of the 4 cartridges you list ... Varget can be utilized in all of them .
I have seen some accuracy test with 308 Winchester and Berger Bullets and Varget was the hands down champ .
Data for Varget is shown in for all four rounds you have listed in the Hornady Reloading Manual #8 and I'm sure other sources have Varget data . It may not be the best in the 6.5 rounds but data is listed and velocities are respectable .

Do you see why I advised having multiple sources of loading data ... it's never found in one book ... just too many different bullets and powders and combinations of each .
Good Luck and Load Safe,
Gary
Yeah, same I have seen with Varget. Not exactly nominal in the 6.5.

Have a couple of manuals and am pulling a lot from online as well. Thanks.
Old September 20, 2022, 05:09 PM   #39
603Country

IMR4064, while not the ideal powder for most of the OP’s calibers, will work fine, though I don’t know about the Grendel.
Old September 21, 2022, 10:19 AM   #40
USAF Ret

I am doing research. Would like to at least get started with one powder that is optimal in a couple of calibers and I will go from there.
Old September 21, 2022, 10:43 AM   #41
akinswi

The calibers you listed at the beginning of your post. One powder comes to mind that should work well. Varget is a great powder and very versatile.
Old September 24, 2022, 07:24 AM   #42
jetinteriorguy

I just did some quick perusing of a couple sources and other than the 6.5 Grendel it should be pretty easy to find one powder that would reasonably work. The Grendel though is just too different in its needs to fit in with the other three powder wise. I’d look at any of the 4350 powders for a start myself.
Old September 24, 2022, 03:10 PM   #43
44 AMP
Staff

Going back through the thread, I see mention of bolt guns and one AR-10.

Bolt guns and all other manually operated arms will "work" with any powder that blows the bullet out of the barrel at some speed, without damaging pressure.

Semis are much more "picky" and will only run well within a much smaller range of pressures and powder burn rates.

I assume you're looking for a powder that not only is suitable in all the calibers you have but also all of the rifles in those calibers.

There are some.
Old September 24, 2022, 04:07 PM   #44
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I just did some quick perusing of a couple sources and other than the 6.5 Grendel it should be pretty easy to find one powder that would reasonably work. The Grendel though is just too different in its needs to fit in with the other three powder wise. I’d look at any of the 4350 powders for a start myself.
Thank you!
Old September 24, 2022, 04:08 PM   #45
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Going back through the thread, I see mention of bolt guns and one AR-10.

Bolt guns and all other manually operated arms will "work" with any powder that blows the bullet out of the barrel at some speed, without damaging pressure.

Semis are much more "picky" and will only run well within a much smaller range of pressures and powder burn rates.

I assume you're looking for a powder that not only is suitable in all the calibers you have but also all of the rifles in those calibers.

There are some.
Really focusing on bolt guns and hunting rounds at the moment. Yeah, I have an AR-10 in 308 and an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel. Also, a bolt gun in each caliber.
Old September 27, 2022, 09:25 AM   #46
USAF Ret

Just ordered my case trimmer, guides and brass holders. Good sale at Midway. Now I just need to get my office cleaned up and order a table from Amazon. Just about there. Then I can start working on getting primer, powder and bullets (although I have been buying 6.5 bullets when I see them).

After my shooting time this weekend, I have plenty of brass to get started,
Old October 10, 2022, 01:58 PM   #47
RC20

Quote:
Yeah, same I have seen with Varget. Not exactly nominal in the 6.5.
I have to disagree, Varget is my best powder in 6.5 Lapua. Same with a brother. He says his 6.5 CM shoots better with 4350 (not sure which mfg) but the Varget shoots good, just not as good (we are talking sub 1/2 MOA)

that said, for a range of mil surplus guns that are not going to be tack drivers, one powder can span them nicely.

When I talk about good powder, I am talking sub 1/2 MOA groups as all I do is target shoot and that is my fun. If you are looking at 1 MOA, a lot of powders will get you that and you may be able to fine a broad spectrum one that works.

Quote:
Thanks much. This was straight from Nosler, so wanted to confirm with the folks on the ground. Much appreciated.
I call it the case (pun intended) of someone putting out something rather than not say anything and not define things (universal powder is fine for hunting loads, not true to target shooting).

If you look at what die mfgs say for a full size. Turn it down till it touches the shell holder and 1/4 turn.

Yea, that really mashes the case head down and way beyond what is needed.

Modern loading has tools to measure the length to the shoulder and then set back enough to chamber ok. A full mash setback cracks the case base after as few as 8 firings. I have reloaded cases 20+ times using as minimal setback as works.

note: I have a 7.5 Swiss that wants .009, otherwise some cases don't chamber easily (and I got with easy chambering). If your gun will accept .003 setback, that is ideal.
But I go with what the gun tells me not a fixed value.
Old October 10, 2022, 11:26 PM   #48
WestDivide

USAF:
I don't know whether you have a loading table/bench yet, but an easy way to set up a good bench is using a solid core door and simple 2 x 4's for legs. a couple hours with a skil saw and const screws and you're in business. Custom sized to your needs and location.

It'll have good weight, more than sufficient strength and support; and infinite customizations and variations.

Doors available at all lumber yards, big box stores, and, if possible recycled bldg matl stores, etc. PM if questions.

-West