The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2022, 07:58 PM   #1
BillyBoy 57

Lee pistol dies vs Rcbs

I just picked up a Ruger single six in 32 H and R mag . I have always bought Rcbs dies in the past . Just wondering about Lees claim on their four die set.They say " by separating the seating and crimping operation you will benefit by greatly simplified adjustment " . Just looking for opinions before I buy a set of dies . Thanks !
Old August 21, 2022, 09:24 PM   #2
olduser

No difference

On a pistol caliber I do not think there will be any difference in the finished rounds made by either brand. I use Lee dies to load the 32 S&W Long and have no complaints. The most common problem you will hear about Lee dies is there locking ring which uses an o ring. Some people just don't like them.
Old August 22, 2022, 06:47 AM   #3
BillyBoy 57

After researching a bit more, I see the lee 4 die set is not made for 32 h and r mag . I was looking at an old lee catalog and saw this .
Old August 22, 2022, 11:59 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I do not much care for the LEE dies I have seen, and I do have a couple sets, which I got because at the time RCBS dies in the caliber I wanted were not available (pre-internet days).

Lee dies work, but I don't like their finish or features.

Seating and crimping separately has become popular but despite ad claims, I don't find it any "easier". When roll crimping, I use the crimp built into the seater die, and have no trouble adjusting things for good uniform crimps.

You do need brass with a uniform length to do it, but you need that for all crimps or the crimp will vary.
Old August 22, 2022, 12:20 PM   #5
hammie

@Billyboy: As 44AMP said, it isn't really necessary to separate the seating and crimping steps. (You can live by his words.) However, I got into the habit of partitioning the process after ruining a lot of thin walled 44-40 cases, by trying to apply a heavy roll crimp. I now separate the steps for all revolver and for rifle when I infrequently feel the need to crimp.

What you can do: Lee currently offers a crimp die specifically for the .32 H&R. You could buy the RCBS dies, and then just buy the lee crimp die separately. The .32 H&R crimp die also has a carbide ring which will iron out any bulges from the crimp.

If you don't like the rubber O-ring body lock for the die, (which I don't), then buy a different lock ring to substitute. I like the hornady lock rings, and I substituted them on all my dies. They lock by compressing the ring, and so there's no set screw to potentially damage the die threads. Plus they have flats which fit a matching hornady wrench. The wrench makes it easy to tighten and untighten on the press.

Last edited by hammie; August 22, 2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old August 22, 2022, 12:55 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

Personally im a fan of hornady dies. What i do i get the die set i want and buy the lee factory crimp die and add it to my set. I know many people say you dont need the factory crimp die. But i like crimping separate. I also like that it does a body size to ensure that your rounds drop in the cylinder freely. Not necessary but nice. Especially on my progressive.
Old August 22, 2022, 01:09 PM   #7
Crunchy Frog

With revolver cartridges I have no problem seating and crimping with the same die (even with .44-40 which has the reputation of being tricky to load).

With 9mm and .45 ACP I seat and taper crimp in separate steps.
Old August 22, 2022, 07:36 PM   #8
BillyBoy 57

Thanks for all the input . I have ordered the Lee dies as Rcbs was out of stock . I will give them a try , it will be my first ever set of lee dies . I have always used rcbs in the past . I do know that my son in law uses lee exclusively and has no problems .
Old August 23, 2022, 09:30 AM   #9
603Country

All my pistol caliber dies are Lee. They work just fine. And I use the Factory Crimp Dies.
Old August 24, 2022, 09:39 AM   #10
RoyceP

I love the Lee Factory Crimp Dies (FCD). They let me set up my press without installing powder or primer, just seating the bullet to get Overall Cartridge Length (OAL). When pulling the bullet repeatedly this is a huge advantage. Once I am satisfied with the OAL dimension I load rounds normally and crimp the finished product.
Old August 24, 2022, 10:30 AM   #11
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
You do need brass with a uniform length to do it, but you need that for all crimps or the crimp will vary.
No, neither the Lee FCD OR Lee collet require uniform case length to crimp correctly - which is why they are a better mousetrap imo. But I doubt Lee makes either for the .32.
Old August 24, 2022, 11:05 AM   #12
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldla View Post
But I doubt Lee makes either for the .32.
https://leeprecision.com/reloading-d...tory-crimp-die

Shows a die for .32acp / S&W long/ H&R Mag/ .327 Fed
Old August 24, 2022, 11:13 AM   #13
RoyceP

Better link:

https://leeprecision.com/carbide-fac...32-s-w-lg.html
Old August 25, 2022, 11:57 AM   #14
Lt.Nick

I always keep an eye out for older, used RCBS. I think they were better made years ago. As far as if I need a new set of dies, I've been totally satisfied by Lee.
Old August 25, 2022, 02:50 PM   #15
Irish Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country View Post
All my pistol caliber dies are Lee. They work just fine. And I use the Factory Crimp Dies.
I like them too. They work well.
Old August 25, 2022, 10:41 PM   #16
BillyBoy 57

My dies and bullets are to be delivered tomorrow according to tracking . I am looking forward to loading some rounds . It will be my first with other than rcbs , i will give them an honest try and review .
Old August 25, 2022, 10:48 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

Quote:
" by separating the seating and crimping operation you will benefit by greatly simplified adjustment " .
Until you pop the top off, because of the poorly cut, already-galling, stupidly soft aluminum used for the seating stem.

Quote:
No, neither the Lee FCD OR Lee collet require uniform case length to crimp correctly - which is why they are a better mousetrap
Resizing the outside of a loaded cartridge is a bandaid in search of *causing* a wound.
It is the worst mousetrap.
Old August 26, 2022, 05:28 PM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldla
neither the Lee FCD OR Lee collet require uniform case length to crimp correctly
Need to distinguish the FCD, which is a collet-style crimper for rifle and longer straight wall cases, from the CFCD (Carbide Factory Crimp Die), which is what they are talking about for the 32. The CFCD uses a shoulder crimp that stays at a single setting, the same as any conventional roll crimp die. So it still requires consistent brass length for consistent crimp results.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 28, 2022, 10:54 AM   #19
BillyBoy 57

I have just loaded 30 rds of 32 h/r mag with my first ever lee dies . No problems , all loads were measured and trial fitted in my revolver cylinder . For now my only negative comment is on the O-ring lock rings . Why ? I just don't think they are adequate ? I will use lock rings from another set of dies next time at the bench . I am going to try this Ruger out here this afternoon . Thanks .
Old August 28, 2022, 03:10 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Until you pop the top off, because of the poorly cut, already-galling, stupidly soft aluminum used for the seating stem.
I have a Lee .357 seater die where the seating stem is PLASTIC!!. Its a hard, dense plastic, but it IS plastic.

I do use it for those rare times I seat RN lead bullets, my Lyman seater is set up for SWC...

I've never had any problems with the way the few Lee dies I have work, I just don't like what they ARE....
Old September 12, 2022, 04:22 PM   #21
MrApathy

I used lee dies for sizing and FCD on auto's they did the job well for most things.
For 9mm seating I got Hornady which use a collet to straighten out bullets. 9mm with lee I had to do seating in 2 stages so it wouldnt come out canted or not straight.

I also used Hornady for belling and dispense powder at same time. had to take a grinder to the hornady belling collet in 9mm and 40sw. no one makes perfect dies but for the money I go with Lee and Hornady.

having access to a lathe you can make stuff for your dies like seating stem,belling or seating collet.

What I really miss is my Lee single stage hand press and Lee all in one dies. the all in one dies were handy for when out on the range.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old September 12, 2022, 08:37 PM   #22
ChimpMunk20

IMO, the RCBS dies are better. Higher quality. I have had trouble w/ the Lee seating die (inconsistent OAL).

You can also consider the Hornady offerings, which is where I tend to spend my die money.
Old September 12, 2022, 08:50 PM   #23
kilotanker22

I prefer RCBS dies as I feel they are higher quality. This is for the sizing, expanding and seating die. For straight wall cartridges, I use the factory crimp die from Lee almost exclusively.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old September 14, 2022, 05:10 AM   #24
akinswi

BillyBoy,

If your using a 3 station press like a Lee Pro 1000, crimping and seating save an extra station. You may have stated what press you were using, if I miss that I apologize

If your using a 4 station like Dillion 550 or a Lee Loadmaster you have an extra station you can crimp at the end and gives you the advantage of using what crimp you like or prefer or mostly which crimp is better for a specific cartridge, you wont use the same crimp for a 38 spl as you would for a 9mm, “Typically.”

Lees new lock rings are complete garabage now, I swaped all my lee lock rings out using Forster rings or dillions lock rings, I like dillions they are small enough to get a crescent wrench without hitting other dies on a tool head

If single stage loading. I would in separate stage crimpyour ammo it will be more uniform

Last edited by akinswi; September 14, 2022 at 09:40 AM.
Old September 14, 2022, 11:23 AM   #25
gwpercle

RCBS dies do have a better finish and probably better tolerances and they are nicer looking .
Lee dies are made to sell at a price point well below RCBS ... they don't look as good the tolerances may not be as critical but you can reload ammo with them .
It is always better to seat and crimp in two seperate operations and having two dies makes it easier ...but you can buy a extra RCBS die to seat and crimp in two steps .

Buy the best you can afford ... If Lee is what you can afford ...buy Lee ...
My first set of dies were Lyman then RCBS then CH4D and Herter's but after that Lee Dies became easily available and just about every set since then has been Lee ...
The Lee Carbide sizing dies were actually affordable at a time when RCBS , Lyman and Redding charged an arm , a leg and your first born male child for one ...you would have thought carbide was costlier than Gold !
Gary