The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2022, 01:50 PM   #26
rclark

I am normally an RCBS user, but in .32 H&R Magnum, I use Lee. The expander plug (in my case) worked better for me than RCBS. Buy both, not that expensive to try as see what you think.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 14, 2022, 01:56 PM   #27
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimpMunk20 View Post
IMO, the RCBS dies are better. Higher quality. I have had trouble w/ the Lee seating die (inconsistent OAL).

You can also consider the Hornady offerings, which is where I tend to spend my die money.
I have dies of all types and brands and I’ve yet to see a seating die that gives ‘consistent’ OAL. Consistent base to a datum point on a bullets ogive yes, but OAL no.
Old September 14, 2022, 02:45 PM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

That's because the seaters mainly seat by pressing on the ogive of the bullet somewhere close to where the Hornady inserts touch them. But tooling variation means the ogives aren't all perfectly identical, so that point on the ogive isn't the exact same distance from the tip when the bullets are either off different tooling or are match hollow points, the forming of which never seems to be perfectly uniform.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 14, 2022, 03:32 PM   #29
Hanshi

I have loading dies by RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and Lee and have been satisfied with them all. I even have a couple + of Lee dies for just crimping, and a few other single Lee dies.
Old September 15, 2022, 12:58 PM   #30
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
That's because the seaters mainly seat by pressing on the ogive of the bullet somewhere close to where the Hornady inserts touch them. But tooling variation means the ogives aren't all perfectly identical, so that point on the ogive isn't the exact same distance from the tip when the bullets are either off different tooling or are match hollow points, the forming of which never seems to be perfectly uniform.
Zackly.