The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 25, 2009, 03:35 AM   #1
bswiv

Getting distracted..........

I know I'm not the only one who gets sidetracked while hunting. It might happen a little more often to me because I've most times got Louann in tow and she's prone to want to catch, dig up or pick up, every small animal, plant or piece of old bone she comes across.

The pictures are from Tuesday afternoon. We had set out to look for some bass that her brother and I could possibly catch. We fish tournaments locally and spend a serious amount of time prefishing for them.

It was windy on the river so she and I ended WAY up one of the side creeks off the St. Johns. As we're going along we start seeing small snakes (6 to 12 inches) in some of the floating vegetation. Also saw quite a few larger ones......

Needless to say Louann HAS to have one of the small ones so we spend the next couple of hours pushing the boat up into every pile of floating vegitation we come to. Saw at least 20 snakes. Managed to catch only one, picutred here. It was amazing how hard it was to nab them in that matted up stuff. Darn things can move a lot faster than you'd think.

Also slipped up on a group of small, 10 to 12 inch, alligators. One of them is pictured. Had one heck of a time convincing Louann that we could not catch one........very illegal!

Needless to say the whole bass fishing thing went out the window as we hunted snakes.

Question is: Does everyone else get distracted while hunting/fishing and do you feel like it's actually part of why we go outside?

Old April 25, 2009, 03:42 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not so much distracted from task at hand as hog doggin is hours of nothing to do (boredom to some folks) followed by moments of sheer bedlam. But mouth calling a red tail hawk or lookin' at the pitcher plants is always fun. Junior spotted a fawn off about 20-30 feet that thought if he stood still no one would notice him. Junior was less than 4 feet away before he scampered off. Didn't go but 10 or so feet but never let him get so close either. Can't resist the chance to boot a 'dillar either
Brent
Old April 25, 2009, 03:50 AM   #3
bswiv

There must be either something good, or something bad, like work!, for both of us to be up and posting at 4:30..........

I'm on the way out the door for a tournament.........
Old April 25, 2009, 04:06 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Doing full tear down service on 4 penn senators for my father... Much harder with my messed up hand and diminished vision. Been 6 or 8 years since I last did these buggers!
Brent
Old April 25, 2009, 03:47 PM   #5
FrontSight

Honestly, I will go after anything and everything that is legal and interesting while out there.

Example: Deer hunting but seeing lots of squirrels? Ooooohhhh so tempted to pop a little .22 or a airgun pellet their way!

Goose hunting but see a snapping turtle? Bang, in the boat it goes...
Old April 25, 2009, 04:33 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Scrap,
Quote:
Example: Deer hunting but seeing lots of squirrels? Ooooohhhh so tempted to pop a little .22 or a airgun pellet their way!
00 buck or slug has worked well for the pesky barkin' squirrel I know is warning deer. Heck since the deer are gone, may as well hammer the busy tail with a "warning shot"... OOPS, I missed
Brent