The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 17, 2024, 07:11 PM   #1
AL45

Glad I didn't buy a boresighter

I installed a red dot on a Ruger Super Blackhawk . .454 casull. I followed the advice of a member and put the target 5 yards away and fired, figuring at that close range it would surely hit the paper. Turns out it was a bullseye. I backed it up to 10, 15, 20 yards, and it was grouping nicely about 2" high. Could have been me since I was shooting offhand. When I can get to my outdoor range, I'm anxious to see what it will do over a rest. For now, it will work on a sassy bandit or charging bear.....That's if I don't turn into Barney Fife if such an occasion arises.
Old May 18, 2024, 11:47 AM   #2
Jim567

About two weeks ago, a friend came over with a bolt action rifle and a bore sight.
As he was unpacking the bore sight, the enclosed battery hit the floor and rolled under the dishwasher. Lol!!!
By the time he fished it out, I had set up the rifle on the kitchen counter. With just my eyes ,adjusted the scope to center on the target I had placed on a tree outside.
When he got the battery in the bore sight, No further adjustment was needed!
Old May 18, 2024, 12:59 PM   #3
tangolima

Great! I have been using that technique for decades. Always works, even for guns that I can't see through the bore. It is imperative to know how your optics adjusts before start though.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 18, 2024, 02:06 PM   #4
AL45

tangolima, thanks for the advice. I'm not sure how I got lucky enough for it to be basically right on. But I'll take it.
Old May 18, 2024, 02:12 PM   #5
AL45

Jim567, that stuff happens to me on a regular basis.When I was mounting the rail for the red dot the first thing did was drop one of the tiny screws which rolled under the the work bench. The floor hd enough sawdust on it to make it real fun to find
Old May 18, 2024, 04:00 PM   #6
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL45 View Post
tangolima, thanks for the advice. I'm not sure how I got lucky enough for it to be basically right on. But I'll take it.
The idea is no to be right on bullseye the first shot, but to be on paper and remain on paper when pushing for longer distances. Like I said in the other thread, you will have to try really hard to miss a 24"x24" target at 5yd. It is like +/-240moa horizontal/vertical.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk