The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 7, 2011, 04:45 PM   #76
jhgreasemonkey

Quote:
What's amusing about tearing a poop laden colon open inside the body cavity? It's your meat, I guess, but still ....... you avoid gut shooting the animal to keep fecal matter and the bacteria in it contained inside the alimentary canal, right? When field dressing, the idea is to take all that out as a unit.... To each his own, I guess.......
Well, you're not actually tearing the colon open unless something went wrong. I guess if a guy was in a hurry and got over zelious during the butt/poop shoot removal process things could definitely end in tears. I'm guessing this is one tool you personaly wouldn't endorse? lol Then It's agreed, I'll continue to use my butt out tool and you can continue to use your finger.
Old January 8, 2011, 12:30 PM   #77
Toney

I read in a old deer hunting book that you can tell the skill of a deer hunter by the size of his knife. I use a little buck cadet and an oldtimer with a gut hook. But if i do'nt have time to resharpen between deer i'v got a stack of knifes.
Old January 8, 2011, 01:35 PM   #78
Para Bellum

These two, depends on the game:

Herbertz Gürtelmesser, 102110

Herbertz Dolch, 105029, AISI 420, Pakkaholz, Lederscheide
Old January 8, 2011, 03:12 PM   #79
vvaldez38

My knife opinion

I am a very big fan of Cold Steel. I use both the Master Hunter Plus and the Master Hunter Stainless. One has a gut hook and the other does not.

Master Hunter Stainless: http://www.blue-sky-products.com/col...ves-36jsk.html (no gut hook)

Master Hunter Plus: http://www.blue-sky-products.com/col...nives-36g.html (gut hook)

What caught my eye about these were the fact that these knives tested in Africa, Australia, Alaska and Colorado. The kraton handle is very comfortable.
Old January 8, 2011, 07:40 PM   #80
mapsjanhere

I'm fond of Puma
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knives.jpg (80.8 KB, 703 views)
Old January 8, 2011, 08:07 PM   #81
Hawg

Quote:
I also use a Case Yellow Handle Trapper for skinning small game.
I have skinned deer with it as well when I didnt have my Old Timer handy.
You've got to love those yellow handled Case Trappers.

Old January 8, 2011, 08:10 PM   #82
brandondferrier

+1 puma.
never owned one, but i've been doing lots of research and puma keeps coming up.
read nothing bad about puma at all.
my first knife purchase in a long time will be the puma bowie knife.
Old January 9, 2011, 01:07 PM   #83
Krav Maga

I have a pig sticker.No idea who makes it,just says made in china.But this thing is way better than any walmart chinary.Sharp and quality 7" blade.
Remington 700,suppressed
Old January 23, 2011, 01:35 PM   #84
603Country

Mostly, I use a K-Bar, even though my friends keep telling me that it's too big for skinning and that I should get some foofoo little designer knife. I used my grandpa's K-Bar for years, and then joined the USMC and got my own. All told, I've used a K-Bar for maybe 40 years and skinned a couple hundred deer with them, so I'm getting along fine with a 'too big' knife. I also carry a Browning folding knife, with gut blade, which I use for the obvious reason. And I carry a small diamond whetstone with medium and fine grit to put an edge on knives in the field.
Old January 23, 2011, 11:54 PM   #85
700cdl

I like to have several with me so when one gets dull I just grab the next sharp one. But since you are looking to go buy one I would personally go with a Gerber. A fixed blade is easier to clean after use, but I honestly don't worry to much about that. You ned a blade that is rounded off toward the tip for skinning. But I can't help but suggest you have 2 knives at a minimum to work with, one fixed and heavy like Buck 110 and the other a 2" to 3" skinning knife. Also I would consider picking up a small knife sharpener, a diamond lap stone is real good and easy to work with. It doesn't take much to dull a skinning knife, and it stinks to work with one that is dull. My common hunting bag includes the diamond lap stone, 2 Buck 110s, a Parker skinng knife, 2 Gerber skinning, and 5 or 6 others of decent quality, both fixed and folding. I don't think you can really have to many kives when it comes down to hunting needs. You'll find yourself using your knives intended for working on the game being used for cutting open this or that, and quickly find that you have dulled the only knife you have.
Old January 27, 2011, 11:56 AM   #86
hunter52

I have used a Kabar 1233 and a Schrade 498 for many years. I prefer the Kabar for field dressing. And the Schrade I like for skinning because of it's long swept point, down side to both though is the leather handles get pretty slick when covered with blood.
I also pack a ring saw for cutting the pelvis,saves the knife blade,and an EzeLap Diamond M hone
Old January 29, 2011, 08:58 PM   #87
30.06 young gun

personally i used a machete, butterfly and a gutter knife.
Old February 2, 2011, 07:03 AM   #88
SadistAssassin

+1 K-Bar!
Old February 2, 2011, 07:19 AM   #89
PIGMAN

K-BAR
Old February 3, 2011, 04:56 PM   #90
Ultra12

got myself a great deal last year on this bad boy and its now has a place on my belt while i hunthttp://www.benchmade.com/products/150
Old February 3, 2011, 07:11 PM   #91
HottAK47

5160 steel Scandia Forge custom
Old February 10, 2011, 10:24 PM   #92
jrothWA

have used...

Buck 110 folder, Rapala 6" filleting knife, & Swiss Army Spartan.

belt hatchet for splitting the ribcage.
Old February 18, 2011, 06:38 PM   #93
Keg

I use a small Western States sheath knife from the 1930's and an Eye Brand trapper.......
I bought this Buck knife for my wife......

Last edited by Keg; June 3, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old March 10, 2011, 03:34 PM   #94
Jack O'Conner

This is a sturdy import by FROST Cutlery. I like the blade length and shape for field dressing whitetails.

Jack
Old March 10, 2011, 10:15 PM   #95
blutob

I own several hunting knives; Buck folding, Buck fixed blade, Case fixed blade. But the knife I actually use for hunting is a Winchester folding 3" blade that I picked up at Walmart for $0.75 on clearance. They had 4 of them left so I bought all of them. Compact and strong, they are excellent for gutting deer. If I lose or break one I am only out 75 cents, but I have used the same one for the last 4 years (usually 2 deer per year). All of my "real" knives stay home in the safe. I do however use a fixed blade Buck knife to skin the deer.
Old March 10, 2011, 10:42 PM   #96
Rembrandt

Have several.....the one pictured below is a Gerber with three different interchangeable blades. Last year lost it for 5 months after leaving it in the snow while gutting a deer.....found it in the spring after the snow melt. Has probably gutted 30+ head of deer.

Another Gerber.....bone saw. Saw teeth are unique like chain saw teeth, only cuts on the pull stroke, no longer offered by Gerber. A shame you can't get them anymore.....great for cutting pelvis bones.

Another Gerber......LMF and a Benchmade.
Old March 10, 2011, 11:58 PM   #97
Huntergirl

A Gerber something or other, a Bear And Son fixed something or other, a Case something or other. Had em for years and they all work.
Old March 11, 2011, 03:37 PM   #98
Maligator

Randall Knife: Model 25 "The Trapper". Great knife with my name stamped into the blade. Took me a few years on the wait list but it sure was worth it!
Old March 14, 2011, 06:10 PM   #99
hornetguy

I've been using my Cold Steel Master Hunter (carbon V) for about 17-18 years now. Works well, and the grip is just almost perfect. No slipping, comfortable... The blade is strong enough to have been hammered through several rib cages and pelvis bones.
It holds an edge well enough to field dress three aoudad ewes.. although it was needing to be touched up at the end of the third one. It's also gone through two pigs in one afternoon, and two deer at the same time on a couple of occasions.
It just works.
Old March 20, 2011, 10:42 PM   #100
Mayor Al

KaBar

I got my KaBar in RVN in 1962 and it's been a very useable tool for the better part of half-century for me.