The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 28, 2023, 08:25 PM   #26
musicmatty

I have the standard which is 3 inch maximum.
Old July 28, 2023, 11:09 PM   #27
mehavey

Quote:
...they had polished the chamber and replaced both action bars ....
That isn't going to fix the problem you describe... the fired hull clearing the ejection port.

Let us know....
Old July 29, 2023, 02:42 AM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I would never buy another Remington product ...
The people making Remington guns today are not what I think of as "Remington", that company has been gone for a while now.

"retro" or whatever they call it, the guns aren't the same as the ones from the 50s on up that created the reputation of quality.

I can understand your frustration, and agree, I wouldn't give today's Remington my business, particularly when there are so many of the Remington guns, made in the old days that are still around and fully functional.
Old July 29, 2023, 12:00 PM   #29
Ricklin

Applies to more than Remington

I'll generally take old vs. new. Most of my guns are older than I. Consider the Mauser 98, going strong for 125 years now, still in production at around 200 million manufactured.
My blued steel and walnut guns will be unchanged and just as functional in another 125 years.
My Glock 19 will not make that first lifespan, never mind the second 125. Polymers will begin to exhibit change the moment the part leaves the mold. Our polymer framed guns are relative youngsters when the relative service life of firearms is concerned, time as always will tell.
Now we can get to the subject of workmanship and quality. That's generally a labor issue, unhappy poorly compensated drones make crap products.
Old July 30, 2023, 12:47 PM   #30
musicmatty

Quote:
If musicmatty could post a pic (even better a video) of the problem, that would help.

I would but I don’t have the gun… It’s been gone for more than a month back to the factory for the second time. Keep in mind, this is a brand new purchase. I’m just posting my experience of purchasing a new 870 from Remarms. I don’t think my displeasure is unreasonable considering this is a new firearm and the factory has had it for more than two months (twice returned ) trying to figure out what’s wrong with it.

This thread has gone sideways and that was not my intention. As far as I’m concerned they can close this thread… I won’t be adding to it. It’s a shame it gets hijacked by trollers.
Old July 31, 2023, 07:17 PM   #31
stinkeypete

I prefer Hi Brass shells as opposed to steel. Brass is a much more 'slippery' metal.

The two shells shown have steel bases. I think that my prejudice is widespread.

Those steel bases work just fine in double barrel shotguns.

I recommend trying some Federal Hi Brass shells and see if a better quality shell doesn't solve your problem. Note that "brass" shells are coated with brass nowadays, not pure brass. Still slippery!

I'm sorry your gun won't run any old ammunition, but that's life.
Old July 31, 2023, 08:47 PM   #32
mehavey

'High" brass won't solve an 870 extraction problem... if it attracts a magnet
(i.e., brass-washed steel... very prevalent these days.

Brass will contract back off the chamber walls after fireforming.
Steel -- even washed with brass --will not.
Old July 31, 2023, 09:17 PM   #33
eastbank

i have several older rem 870 expresses(no newer ones), when i got them i polished the chambers right away and filled the recievers with real fine metal polish and worked the the shotguns actions for several weeks when i had time, after cleaning all the polish out and lightly oiling the internal parts they work as well as the late 50,s 870,s i have. i have never had the problems you have had and wish you good luck.
Old August 12, 2023, 05:08 PM   #34
musicmatty

***Final update ***

I received the 870 back from Remarms last week and finally had a chance to take it out today for a test. Happy to say, the 870 worked just fine, no ejection issues.

Due to the lengthy turnaround time for an ‘ejection issue totaling more than 2 months at the factory having been returned to the factory twice for the same problem, I cannot recommend Remarms in good conscience to anyone.

No company is above fallacy and cannot be faulted for a faulty product making it out the door occasionally. With that said, weak customer service can never be the remedy for such a problem. If this is the work model that Remarms is operating with, I’m not sure they are going to survive… Just my opinion. Hopefully Remarms has not adopted the policy of equity over merit with their employee hiring.

Last edited by musicmatty; August 12, 2023 at 07:14 PM.
Old August 13, 2023, 07:32 AM   #35
amd6547

Glad your Retro 870 is functional, now.
One of the reasons I prefer the Mossberg 500 is the easily replaceable/repairable ejector…held in with a screw.
My Mossberg 500 worked like a top for about 30yrs before it started having ejection problems… The ejector screw had loosened. Cleaned it, loktite applied, and screw tightened down. Problem solved, and ready for another 30yrs, even if I’m not.
Old October 15, 2023, 10:10 PM   #36
rc

I've got a 2007ish 870 HD express I bought new and it never gave me any problems cycling buck or low base birdshot in the original 18.5 inch barrel or a 26 inch field barrel I picked up used. I don't shoot it much but I have shot it enough to know it cycles reliably. Having used the Mossberg 500 series shotguns also if I were to do it again I would buy a Mossberg HD shotgun instead of the Remington. I don't like the floppy elevator on the 870 unlike the 500 series guns where it tucks up against the bolt with the action closed. If you sell the gun, replace it with a wood stock Mossberg or look for an older Ithaca 37 or Browning BPS which are bottom feed and eject guns without the floppy shell elevator like on the Remington.