The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 20, 2015, 05:49 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Gun show in Va Beach

Not well attended by folks who had any money.

But that did not result in motivated sellers.

Coupla guys that I speak to at every show were most disappointed. They were packing up their tables early.

But on the other hand, when I asked, "Whats the best you can do on that (fill in the blank)? I was quoted the price marked on the item every time. 200.00 for a poor condition Lemon Squeezer. 700.00 on a Webley.

The jip that I have complained about previously was still there with virtually everything he has had for the last two years. Still trying to sell clones as original Remingtons for 1750.00. Non-firing white metal replicas as Colts because they are in a Colt box.

I bought some Makarov ammunition and some .25 ACP.

I'll probably continue to pay the ten bucks for this show but I am getting turned off.
Old April 20, 2015, 08:00 AM   #2
noelf2

Yep, I see that guy with the ASM black powder guns sitting on Colt boxes at every Fredericksburg gun show too. I warn people about him. Sometimes within earshot of the crook. Could this guy be his brother?? lol

http://www.armslist.com/posts/425196...lldog-from-ww2

Makarov brass is available now, so I picked some up. I need to load and shoot up about 500 lead makarov bullets I've had for years, then I'll get some poly coated bullets to load and try (love them in 9mm luger and 45 Colt).
Old April 20, 2015, 09:45 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

How do you do with.....

Reloading the Makarov ammunition?

Size bullet? Powder and load?

Whose dies?
Old April 20, 2015, 10:24 AM   #4
noelf2

Doc,

*Use at your own risk* These are not hot loads though.

Lee 3 die carbide set

.365 93grn coated or lubed LRN bullets:
http://www.missouribullet.com/result...0&secondary=28

3 grn Alliant Bullseye or 4grn Alliant Unique, OAL .965 with bullet seater die set for a light to medium crimp. I plan to get a carbide factory crimp die at some point.
Old April 20, 2015, 10:31 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

Tubular!

Do I understand that you did not have good luck with your cast bullets?

Tnx,

Doc
Old April 20, 2015, 11:08 AM   #6
noelf2

Negative.. I just haven't loaded any of this 500 ct box of lead ones I still have. I got 1K of them a couple years ago from Missouri Bullet Co when nobody had FMJ bullets for Mak in stock. Missouri Bullet Co makes coated bullets now, so when I use up the rest of these hard cast bullets, I'll get their coated ones. May change my load data with the coated bullets since you can push them a little harder without leading.
Old April 20, 2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

Got it...

I guess it looks like I need to be ordring dies, mold, and a bunch of brass.
Old April 20, 2015, 02:15 PM   #8
noelf2

You can cut 9mm luger brass down to makarov length, and it works fine. That's what I did in the past, but it's a pain if you don't have a powered case trimmer (I do). If you go that route, make sure you don't trim the cases down to Makarov minimum because on first use you have to really bell the case mouth to compensate for the tapered case (mak is straight walled) and that bigger mak bullet. That stretch process shortens the case a bit more, not much, just watch for it. After the first use, the trimmed cases will fire form to straight wall.

Finally there's some starline 9x18mm brass available at MidwayUSA and also through amazon.com, so I picked up two packs of 100 each a couple weeks ago.

I don't mold lead for Makarov. Cheap enough to get them online since I don't go through a lot of Mak ammo. BTW, I cast a lot of that hard wheel weight lead I got from you into .60 caliber round balls. Perfect for my ball mill.

Last edited by noelf2; April 20, 2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old April 22, 2015, 01:43 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

I'll Prolly just....

Buy a bunch of Makarov rounds, Shoot them and then save the brass.

The stuff I got from Georgia Arms at the show was all Starline brass. 40 cents a round but it is good brass.

BTW the .25 Rounds were .46 a piece. They had ammunition in just about every pistol caliber from .32 to .357 that was cheaper than the .25.

Hrmph
Old April 23, 2015, 08:44 AM   #10
noelf2

Yeah .25acp is one of those rounds that is just not worth it to buy or reload. I inherited my father's 1908 model Colt vest pocket pistol, and 3/4 of a box of some 1960's Western X ammo in that yellow box they used to come in (Dad passed back in November). My dad kept that gun in his bedside drawer for ever, loaded with that dusty old Western stuff. I worried they'd misfire if he ever really needed to shoot it, so 4 or 5 years ago I picked up a new box of Remington for him (I have that now also). It was only about .20 per round then, IIRC.