The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2011, 10:38 AM   #1
catzor

Range report with new cast/loads

Hey guys! I got all my casting gear a couple weeks back and jumped right in. By the time I got to my press this morning, I had a cache of 450 bullets or so, and was ready to test 'em out.

I loaded my hard cast 124gr lee LTN (tumble lube) over 5.1gr, 4.8gr, and 4.5gr of power pistol. OAL was long, just short enough to not jam up the magazine. All shooting was done at 10yds.

The 5.1gr load was super accurate. 4 shots touching with one flier.

The other loads opened up considerably, shooting 1-2 inch groups at 10yds. (I'm not a good shot, I'm sure you guys could do better) With the 4.5gr loads, I even got several a couple FTEs and an FTF with my p95. I think shooting off the bench made me limp wrist more and can account for the FTEs while the long OAL makes the FTFs more likely. In other words, in prone shooting, I doubt I would have experienced any of these failures, but with my 5.1gr load, I couldn't make the gun fail even on the bench, so the point is the same: the gun definitely prefers the stouter stuff.

I also took out my old loads. They're identical to my 5.1gr load, only they're capped with at 124gr Dardas Cast LRN, not my own 124gr LTC. They were absolutely incredible. It gives me something to strive for with my own cast, I guess.

I don't really want to go far above 5.1gr with cast stuff, even hard cast, since I figure heavy leading is right around the corner. Is there any problem with me moving up to 5.4gr and just watching for leading? I feel like the 5.1gr load is capable of one hole, while I certainly am not, so I may just stick with it right now.

Also, I'd love to lighten the recoil/blast off the bench with my 5.1gr load. Is there a powder that will offer similar pressure and be easier on me? Or maybe I should just try a whole new load with a different powder that shoots well at light charges/lower pressures?

Sorry to be such a windbag!
Old April 1, 2011, 12:03 PM   #2
zippy13

Cartridge? Gun?
Old April 1, 2011, 12:11 PM   #3
YARDDOG(1)

"[Cartridge? Gun?]"

P95 I think he said he had a few FTE with 4.5gr ; )
Y/D
Old April 1, 2011, 05:15 PM   #4
catzor

Yeah, Ruger p95 9mm.
Old April 2, 2011, 01:01 AM   #5
Ideal Tool

Hello, catzor..1st time out with own cast? Wow..it looks to me that your way ahead of the game already..good job! It's alot more fun isn't it..getting a good group with bullets you made yourself! Best of luck!
Old April 2, 2011, 09:09 PM   #6
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Hope you are not biting those fingernails while you are casting!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~