The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 18, 2006, 11:33 PM   #1
dgc940

Looking for a killer jerky recipe

looking mostly for a good marinade. I have lots of spare deer to use. I prefer strips of meat not the ground stuff through a jerky shooter.
Old December 19, 2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Tom Matiska

To make a quart + of marinade::

2 bottles of soy/ 2 bottles Worcestershire sauce/ 2 coffee cup scoops (or 3-4 heaping table spoons) each of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, & salt......Soak strips in refrige for 2-3 days, then dry.

Notes:

OK if store has 10oz bottles of one and 12oz of the other, 60/40 mix works well........Red pepper adds more kick than black.....haven’t figured out why salt is added to a mix with so much soy, OK to add a little less, especially if the soy bottles are bigger than the Worcestershire........ I put the wet meat strips between paper towels then hunker down on them with mom’s old roller to squeeze of all excess before drying....... dry don’t cook the jerky, I do mine on a cookie sheet over the old coal furnace, if you don’t have a dehydrator or a bad old furnace do it in the oven as low as your controls let you go. again you want to dry not cook it. ..... the result is a dry brittle jerky that I describe as a good “drinking jerky” , not too salty for my taste but it makes me want to consume a few more adult beverages.... if you are on a low salt diet don’t consult your physician, he is going to tell you no.........
Old December 19, 2006, 10:34 PM   #3
Dave Haven

For each pound of meat:

1/2 cup soy sauce (I prefer Kikkoman)
1-1/2 tsp black pepper (or freshly ground Schilling "Peppercorn Melange")
1-1/2 tsp Wright's Liquid Smoke
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

Marinate for 12-24 hours in the fridge (or 20 minutes in a vacuum tumbler) before drying.
Old December 19, 2006, 11:08 PM   #4
Adventurer 2

I have a food dehydrator with extra trays. I have tried what seems to me like a million different home recipes in search of the ultimate jerky. I have not found any recipes that compare to the seasonings at this website: https://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/home.php?cat=248
I haven't given up yet but it is nice to have a great fallback.
Old December 20, 2006, 12:28 AM   #5
Fat White Boy

The only jerky I make anymore is Teriyaki. I start with 2 cups of Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce for 3-4 pounds of meat. I add 2 teaspoons of ground cloves and 3 Tablespoons of minced ginger. I mix this in a flat container then add the meat, making sure all sides of the meat have the marinade on them. Cover and let stand for 6-8 hours. Then I put the meat in my dehydrator and grind fresh black pepper over the meat. Let it dry overnight...Good stuff!
Old December 20, 2006, 01:06 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

Gotta agree with the teriyaki, but there's no Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce, in a proper teriyaki marinade. Use this recipe.
3/4 cup canned pineapple juice
3 tblspns low salt soy sauce
3 tblspns lemon juice
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 bay leaf
pinch of ground cloves(grind 'em yourself. It matters.)
Put it all in a jar and shake. Pour over the meat in a glass baking dish, cover with foil. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Then put it in your dehydrator or whatever. This is absolutely fabulous for skinned chicken and steak too. I tend to double the recipe for steaks and chicken though.
You'll also find a whole bunch of jerky recipes by doing a net search.
Old December 20, 2006, 07:40 PM   #7
kingudaroad

I use variations of the soy sauce/ Worcestershire recipe. But y'all need to get rid of the dehydrators and the liquid smoke. You need to slow smoke them for the best results. I hang 10 pounds of marinated meat in a vertical smoker using toothpicks and replacement bbq grates. I use charcoal and either pecan or hickory but all the fuel must be gray or it will be too smokey. To replenish the fire you must burn some more outside of the fire box until it is gray embers and then add them. I smoke them for 5 to 9 hours at 120 to 150 degrees.

Leave them in a non airtight container and they will be even better in a couple of days. (if you can make them last that long).

WARNING: YOU MUST USE CURE IN YOUR MARINADE TO USE THIS RECIPE.

I use Mortons Tender quick. Heres a link.
http://www.mortonsalt.com/consumer/p...ring/index.htm
Old December 20, 2006, 08:06 PM   #8
skeeter1

I like the sound of Dave Haven's recipe. That pretty much the same as I use for beef jerky.

If you want more ideas, look here:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=jerky

I made my own jerky-drying rack out of some 1/2" hardware cloth over a baking pan and put into a 175 degree oven over night.

I agree with you that sliced whole meat is much better than that "jerky shooter" stuff.
Old December 20, 2006, 09:44 PM   #9
swampdog

I use the same soy/Worcestershire/garlic variations as the others mentioned. No one mentioned putting Texas Pete or Louisiana Sunshine in it, though. It puts a little zing in it, without making it HOT like cayenne can.

I agree with kingudaroad, smoked is best, but it can be a pain. I have a dehydrator that I'll use for small batches. It's also the quickest method. If I'm going to jerk a whole ham, I do it on the oven racks, with aluminum foil in the bottom of the oven, usually overnight.

If I've got a free afternoon and want some killer jerky, I'll break out the smoker. It really is the best. I've smoked it without using anything on it but jerky cure and black pepper and it turned out great.

Have Fun
Old December 20, 2006, 09:46 PM   #10
Dave Haven

Quote:
I like the sound of Dave Haven's recipe.
Thanks!
It's legendary at the local ski area. And at work.
Sometimes it disappears before I can share it, though....

On edit : Just seasoning the meat with salt and pepper before dehydrating makes really good jerky.
Old December 21, 2006, 01:21 AM   #11
Fat White Boy

T O'Heir- I make my own also using a recipe similar to yours. But, with Yoshida's, the jerky has a slight moist/stickiness to it that I love.

I also agree with you about grinding the cloves...Much more potent...
Old December 21, 2006, 02:12 AM   #12
Rangefinder

I use:

Equal parts Water, Soy Sauce, and cheap Red Wine.
1/2 Cup suger per 1/2 Gallon of the combined three liquids,
minced Garlic (I like garlic, so I use a lot)

Let the meat swim for about one or two days in the fridge--depends on how thick you cut your strips, then smoke it real slow. Hickory works good, but I really like cedar.

Man, now I've got a killer need to make some jerkey... Thanks a LOT guys!

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old December 21, 2006, 08:56 PM   #13
skeeter1

Quote:
Man, now I've got a killer need to make some jerkey... Thanks a LOT guys!
Darnit, now I'm thinking jerky, too. I checked the freezer, and the only steak I had was a filet mignon. I've never tried it for jerky before, but once it thaws out, I will. There's only one way to find out...