The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 19, 2007, 10:12 PM   #1
rcupka

1911 plunger lever dragging on frame - Advice wanted

I posted this over on the 1911 forum, but thought I would also post it here as this is my usual haunt. Any advice you have would be appreciated
-----------------------------
I just took my new Sig GSR apart for cleaning and when reinstalling the Slide I noticed that the "Plunger lever" drags on the bottom of the slide. Once past the contact it does not seem to remain in contact with anything and moves freely. There is a evidence on the top of the lever of a small gouge where metal has been displaced. When looking at the frame from the side the lever appears to be slightly proud to the top of the frame. Is it supposed to be flush? I have about 250 rounds through the firearm and it functions perfectly. I am very familiar with handgun disassembly in general as I have several other pistols and revolvers, but this is my first 1911 and I have nothing to compare it to.

Please advise if this is a problem,

Thank You in advance,

Dick Cupka
Old August 20, 2007, 10:15 AM   #2
JoeHatley

Just a "swag", but I think you may be talking about the disconnector. If so, then yes, it should poke up just above the frame. The side pushing it down is normal, that's how it works.

Maybe...

Joe
Old August 20, 2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Or he might be talking about the lawyer lever in the frame that actuates the firing pin obstruction in the slide. Since I don't have one and that is not a 1911 part, I fear I cannot be of much help. I don't think it should have a gouge, though. And if it stands proud, there should be some specified method for reassembly without gouging it up.
Old August 20, 2007, 01:14 PM   #4
nass

Pictures are worth a ton when trying to internet diagnose your issue. Let us see what you have...
Old August 20, 2007, 04:28 PM   #5
rcupka

Attached jpg is the lever that is gouged, I will also upload the gouge itself
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plunger lever.jpg (204.8 KB, 131 views)
Old August 20, 2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Ok that is indeed the firing pin "safety" lever, and it looks gouged.
Problem is, if you stone down and smooth out the gouge, it may not then lift the firing pin block far enough.
Looks like a call to "Customer Service" is in order.
Old August 20, 2007, 08:06 PM   #7
nass

Is there a specific takedown/reinstall procedure in the manual that you may have missed? Something like not engaging the grip safety? Kimbers are that way, and if you do press the grip safety whill installing slide, the pin block will be sheared off. The Sig may be similar, and just overlooked.

+1 on Jim's comment. Call Customer Service.
Old August 21, 2007, 01:14 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

That is the safety lever. Its purpose is to push up on the safety lock in the slide and allow the firing pin can go forward. When the slide is in battery, the lever is in contact with the safety lock in the slide, so that when the pistol is cocked the lever rises and pushes up on the safety lock, allowing the firing pin to go forward. At rest, I believe the lever should be flush with the frame.

Is it possible that the pistol has been assembled in some way that causes the lever to stick up that way? I hesitate to simply suggest stoning the lever without having the pistol in hand.

Jim