The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 4, 2011, 07:17 PM   #1
overkill0084

Optics question

I'm looking to install a red dot sight on my S&W 627. I was wanting to buy a decent quality item without breaking the bank.
I don't need the one that the SEAL teams use. I'm not tactical, it doesn't need to be either. EOTechs are pretty snazzy, but a bit rich for my blood. I just want something that's going to hold up to a .357 magnum that is unlikely to be submerged.
I was looking at a Burris FastFire II. It appears to be a decent compromise. Opinions? Alternatives? I'd like to stay in the $225ish and under range, if realistic.
Note: I have found a Weigand base. Any opinions? I presume that as long as it fits, it should be fine. If I'm wrong please let me know.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old June 5, 2011, 01:06 PM   #2
wolfrage

I put one from Primary Arms on my AR and I'm ordering one for my S&W model 22a with the 7" barrel for .22 pin shoots. Happy with the one I have, though I want one of the magnifiers and flip mounts.

http://primaryarms.com/category.sc?categoryId=419
Old June 5, 2011, 03:17 PM   #3
overkill0084

Quote:
I put one from Primary Arms on my AR and I'm ordering one for my S&W model 22a with the 7" barrel for .22 pin shoots. Happy with the one I have, though I want one of the magnifiers and flip mounts.
Was yours the Reflex style?
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old June 5, 2011, 03:34 PM   #4
wolfrage

This is the exact one I have:

http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=419

Wish I had gotten the magnifier back when I got this red dot.

I also want http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=419 for the 22 pistol and I REALLY keep thinking of mounting http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=419 at the 1 o'clock position off one of my scopes so i can tilt the rifle slightly and switch between the two for a taticticool rifle.
Old June 5, 2011, 07:32 PM   #5
ozarkrecluse

+1 for the Primary Arms M3. I also own and like the Bushnell TRS-25. Both are 3MOA red dot scopes. The Bushnell may be more suited for a pistol. I have it on a 10/22 Butler Creek folder and it's held zero for several thousand rounds now.
Old June 5, 2011, 07:33 PM   #6
wolfrage

Hey, how far out you shoot with the M3 accurately?
Old June 5, 2011, 07:45 PM   #7
ozarkrecluse

It seems to work for Armadillos at around 75-100 yds. I'm getting ready to eliminate some squirrels that are raiding our plum trees. I like the fast target acquistion. I'll be ordering another M3 in the next week or so to use as a scout scope on a Norinco SKS.
Old June 5, 2011, 07:48 PM   #8
wolfrage

As a scout scope? Interesting. Never thought about an unmagnified optics system as a scout setup.
Old June 5, 2011, 07:52 PM   #9
ozarkrecluse

To me, the best way to mount a scope on a SKS is as as a scout scope. The mount is coming from Scoutscopes.com.
Old June 5, 2011, 07:55 PM   #10
wolfrage

Nice, would be useful. Hmm. *checks CC balance*
Old June 17, 2011, 09:51 AM   #11
overkill0084

Got it going.

Well I got it installed.
It shoots quite well. Sighting it in is a bit of a pain. It comes with a degree wheel to assist. I found it to be more of an obstruction than a help. The adjustments are quite sensitive and once your close, restraint is called for in fine adjustments.

I put 140 rounds through gun and it seemed to be holding zero quite well. If I wanted to be picky, it would be nice if it were a bit larger. But for the money, I can't really complain.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 627wburris.jpg (39.1 KB, 104 views)
Old June 17, 2011, 03:38 PM   #12
wolfrage

What could be bigger? Dot or the viewable area? I assume the latter

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk and Red Bulls

Last edited by wolfrage; June 17, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old June 17, 2011, 09:22 PM   #13
overkill0084

correct, the viewable area.
I'm used to the rather large one on my MK3, this one seems tiny in comparison.
Old June 18, 2011, 08:08 AM   #14
wolfrage

Hmm. Think it'd be ok on a rifle where it'd be closer to your eye compared to a pistol with your arms extended?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk and Red Bulls
Old June 18, 2011, 04:41 PM   #15
Clark

I have ~50 scopes.

I have variable quality requirements.

The lower the power, the less the recoil, the less the cost of a missed shot, and the less bad weather for a scope, the cheaper the scope I can get away with.

The opposite is, the higher the magnification, the more recoil, the more expensive the cost of a missed shot, and the worse the weather, the more I have to pay.

Trying to get off cheap, for years for the expensive scopes, I bought used Leupolds, but for the last year or two I have been buying used IORs.

Trying to get off cheap, for years I have put old used 4X Weavers and old used 4X Leupold scopes on 22s I will never shoot anyway.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 19, 2011, 08:09 AM   #16
Stealth01

Plus 1 on the Burris Red Dot, works well...