The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Tetzlaff

454 Casull Medium load

Hey folks,

this is my first post in this forum. Sorry for my bad english, i´m german

In July i bought a Ruger SRH with a 7,5" barrel. I´m looking for loads for the casull. about 1300 ft/s with a 300 gr Bullet.

Why? No, I´m not a whimp, but the range i shoot most of the time is restricted
to a maximum muzzle energy of 1500 Joule :barf::barf::barf:

The powders i got around is 2400, Acc9, and N110.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Tetzlaff
Old January 2, 2010, 06:56 PM   #2
mrawesome22

All the powder makers have load info on their websites.
Old January 3, 2010, 12:44 AM   #3
TX Nimrod

Actually Alliant lists no medium loads for the .454. Accurate gives little help: http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/A...%20version.pdf

The following is from the Freedom Arms website showing an AA-9 load around 1200 fps:
http://www.freedomarms.com/loading.html

Old January 3, 2010, 05:08 AM   #4
Lost Sheep

Welcome to TFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetzlaff
454 Casull Medium load
Hey folks,

This is my first post in this forum. Sorry for my bad english, I´m German.

In July I bought a Ruger SRH with a 7,5" barrel. I´m looking for loads for the Casull. About 1300 ft/s with a 300 gr Bullet.

Why? No, I´m not a wimp, but the range at which I shoot most of the time is restricted to a maximum muzzle energy of 1500 Joules.

The powders I have available are 2400, Acc9, and N110.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Tetzlaff
Welcome to the forum and Happy New Year.

Your English is very good. (I took the liberty of making corrections for you in my quote, above. No offense meant, just your your information.)

I have a .454 Casull Ruger SRH 7.5", the same gun as yours. Congratulations on selecting a fine firearm. What do you shoot with it? Targets only, competition, hunting?

The 454 Casull cartridge is essentially the same as the 45 Colt except slightly longer. If you seat the bullets deeper in the .454 Casull case, (The Casull length minus the 45 Colt length (1.381" minus 1.285", ) or .096" you will get virtually identical internal ballistics as the 45 Colt and can use the same loading data. Even if you don't set the bullets deeper you will get very close to the same performance as the 45 Colt with the same components. The volume difference is not very great (about 10% by my estimate).

You will find some people are reluctant to share load information on the forum. One reason is, if you use their data and get poor performance (or worse, get hurt), they would feel responsible.

For 40 years, I have loaded my .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum cases with 38 Special and 44 Special powder levels, using fast powders like Bullseye and Unique. Slow powders like 2400 are not forgiving of reduced loads and perform best at their design (high) pressures. If loaded to low levels, they unpredictably produce pressure spikes that can damage guns and produce injuries. I would not use 2400 for reduced loadings not sanctioned by the powder manufacturers. I do not know about Accurate No. 9 or N110

Please visit

http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp?
(or if the link does not work, paste this address into your web browser)
handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp?

and follow the links down to 45 Colt, 45 Colt+p and 454 Casull to verify the information I have quoted below. Then, do the same thing with the same cartridges and the other powders available to you. Then you can pick a load to try.

28.0 gr of 2400 to produce 1,500 fps with a 300 Grain bullet is listed for the 454 Casull (Suggested starting load: 24.3 grains)

19.5 gr of 2400 to produce 1,166 fps with a 300 Grain bullet is listed for the 45 Colt +p (Suggested starting load of 17.5 grains)

12.5 gr of 2400 to produce 735 fps with a 300 Grain bullet is listed for the 45 Colt (standard pressure) (Suggested starting load: 11.3 grains)

I infer from the foregoing that, in the Casull cartridge case, anything between about 15 grains to 28 grains of 2400 powder would be OK for you to use.

Lead bullets and jacketed bullets usually have different load requirements. Are your bullets cast lead?

Lost Sheep

Caveat:

Remember, believe only half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Always check out any new information you get from the internet (or anywhere) with an independent source for confirmation before you rely on it where misinformation could cost you.

Also, if my writing style seems overly detailed, remember that misinterpretation is the bane of the written word, especially that which is composed "live". Also, I don't know your experience level, so I take great pains to be very specific and to prevent multiple (conflicting) interpretations. Also, readers of all experience levels are reading.
Old January 3, 2010, 06:43 AM   #5
Tetzlaff

Hello Lost Sheep,

you asked a lot of questions, i´ll try to answer.

I use the SRH for targetshooting only (Distances 10-25 mtr.). I´m not a hunter.

The bullets: I use swaged lead bullets which are copper plated. I also got some Freedom Arms bullets, but I think they should be used with full pressure loads,
everything else would be a waste of money.

Thanks for the link i´m gonna try some loads.

C u