The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2009, 09:28 PM   #1
Luciano

I got a great deal on a Lyman 1200 DPS 3

... at Cabelas in the bargain cave. $136.74 with tax. It was missing some accesories but I can substitute from from other reloading stuff I have. It didn't have a box either, but seems to be working well. Have not dispenced powder yet.
Old December 31, 2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Sevens

Sounds like a helluva savings. Sure hope it works. And if it doesn't, I hope Lyman will help.
Old December 31, 2009, 08:48 PM   #3
GeauxTide

I loaded 50 sized and primed 280 loads in less than 30 minutes. I absolutely love my DPS3. Just remember - LET IT WARM UP THE FULL CYCLE and put it on a separate table from your bench. Using RL-19, the largest load deviation was .2 grain!
Old January 1, 2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Luciano

Thank for the tip GeauxTide
Old January 2, 2010, 04:03 PM   #5
Tim R

Congrats on the DPS.

I shoot High Power and require the powder charges to be as close to being the same as I can make them. I have the orginal DPS and some of the tips I have may have been fixed.

I let my DPS warm up about 6 hours before I calibrate and use the machine. By doing this the DPS doesn't seem to wonder as much which is my chief complaint. The DPS will beep a bunch while I'm letting it warm up after the 30 minutes it needs.

When you cal the last step is putting the pan on the scale and pushing the cal button. When you take the pan off there will be a scale reading that has a negitive number. Mine ends with a .9. I will call this the standing reading. I look at the standing reading before I press the button to start dropping powder. If the standing reading is a now a .8 or less, I don't drop powder. I take the empty pan place it back on the scale and push the cal button. This will normally bring the standing reading back to my .9. Some times I have to do this a couple if times to get it back.

When the DPS is done and has the correct weight, it beeps. Be sure to wait a second and see if the weight is what you want AFTER the beep.

After I pull the now charged pan off, I look at the standing weight to see if there was a change while the DPS was dropping powder.

I use a throw to throw a couple of gr's. under charge in the pan and then let the DPS finish the charge. It is much faster this way.

This thing is super senisitive. Have a good solid table or something which won't move or shake. The dog walking across the floor will screw with mine even with a solid table.

MY DPS is at least 5 or 6 years old. No major problems yet.