The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2009, 12:37 PM   #26
BigJimP

The trick out here is to talk to the owner of a good local gun shop - and just tell him what you need.

A case of 5,000 primers lasts me about 4 - 5 months / so I always want to have 1 case of small pistol and one case of large pistol in reserve. I load one powder primarily - so an 8 lb keg will give me 1,000 - 1500 rounds per lb of powder - or about 8,000 - 12,000 rounds per keg. So I like to keep one extra 8 lb keg around.

Because I'm a regular customer - a couple of weeks ago the owner called me - and he set aside a case of each primer and an 8 lb keg of powder for me. I think he told me he got 20 kegs of the powder I use, TiteGroup, and about 50 cases of primers - so the backorders are starting to be filled.

On bullets, I order in case lots from Montana Gold - they're a little behind - but I keep a case of each caliber I shoot in reserve / order 10 - 15 cases at a time - and they're filling orders within 8 weeks now / so its ok.
Old August 18, 2009, 02:05 PM   #27
hornady

Hope you are right. us little guys have a strugle keeping up.5000 may sound like a lot to some, but when you brake it up into. 2k SP 1K LP 1K LR 1K SR theres your 5000.
Old August 18, 2009, 03:38 PM   #28
shooter-55

components

Things are loosening up as far as components. I had some issues getting primers a few months back, but picked up 10k as soon as they came back in. That was before the store owner decided to ration them out thank goodness.
16" of Titegroup, 10k FMJ bullets and 20k casings. Set for a little while.
Old August 18, 2009, 06:40 PM   #29
shooter_from_show-me

The retailer that I goto here only allows 300 primers per day. Trying to find large magnum pistol primers for the .44mag is like pulling teeth!:barf: So I've been stocking up on small mag pistol primers for the .357mag

NRA Life Member
Old August 18, 2009, 06:54 PM   #30
shooter_from_show-me

As I sit now I have 5k of the CCI M41's, 1k of the CCI 400's, 600 of the Federal 200M SMP. 5# of H322 and 4# of LIL'GUN powders and 700 brass cases from SSA for my 6.8SPC rifle. Slowly but surely building some up when overtime allows it.

NRA Life Member
Old August 18, 2009, 09:47 PM   #31
csmsss

Where I am, rifle and pistol primers are essentially nonexistent. There is spotty availability of powders, with the most popular powders (at least the most popular with me) almost always out of stock - I'm talking mostly Hodgdon/Winchester for the most part - Varget, Hodgdon 4895, WW231, Bullseye, etc. Last week, I did find some Bullseye at a local retailer - one which has not had Bullseye since February. The proprietor said he was shocked to open the box and find a case of the stuff, since he had not been notified by the distributor that any was coming.

Bullets and brass? I buy them online. There has never been very good local availability of either here, with the exception of the incredibly overpriced stuff at Gander Mountain.
Old January 3, 2010, 01:03 AM   #32
colospgsAVID

I have had rationing since I started reloading 'bout a year ago. At first it was 500. Which I was allowed only one time. Then for a steady period it was 200. Then at one point I was limited to 100:barf:. Alot of times in between there were none available. Recently I was able to get 1000 Remington 1 1/2's. This I believe was a product of me going there all the time to check, but not sure.
Old January 3, 2010, 01:13 AM   #33
Desert Rat

Just scored a 1,000 box of CCI small pistol primers today here in Tucson. I even left two boxes on the shelf, although I did grab the last 500 bag of 9mm cases.
Old January 3, 2010, 01:52 AM   #34
sc928porsche

I purchace my powder in 4 and 8 pound containers. Primers are purchased in 5000 cases. When supply gets down to half a container, I order more though local outlet. Buy the time it arrives, I still have a little left.

I use bullseye, Win 296, IMR 4227, IMR 4350, H4895, and Unique.
Primers are all CCI...........SP, LP, LPM, SR, SRM, LR, AND LRM.

Last edited by sc928porsche; January 3, 2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old January 3, 2010, 02:27 AM   #35
Crashbox

I think the situation is in fact improving somewhat. I was actually able to buy a brick of small pistol primers from a shop about 32 miles from me- I could not believe they had some in stock! They've almost always had the Federal Small Pistol Match primers, though, at about $43 a brick (at least they have something...).

Getting brass for my .357 Magnum was an absolute pain for about six weeks- then I found some MagTech brass at Cabela's and so I snagged 500 of them and found another 1000 of Starline brass at an outfit in Texas. About two days later two of my backorders for .357 Magnum brass were filled, thereby giving me 3500 pieces of brass for now. This should fulfil my .357 brass needs in the immediate future, at least for a day or two.

However, certain powders seem very difficult- if not impossible- to find locally, and still not too easy on-line but not nearly as difficult as finding primers!!!!