The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2010, 11:28 PM   #1
michaeltpo

More basic questions

1. When I seat a bullet that has a canneluer do I have to align the canniueur with the case mouth?

2. I have a Lee crimping die. Is there any reason why it would be bad to always crimp after seating a .308, 30 06 or 6.55X55 Mauser. I'm a little confused about the crimping, when to or not to. Must you crimp on a canneluer? I have Lee Dies.

3. Example from the Lyman 48 manual shows a Maximum OAL of a 30 06 round as 3.340 inches. When I look at the various bullets it gives a wide variety of OAL numbers. Examples:

150gr. Jacketed SP shows an OAL of 3.200 inches

and

a 168 gr. jacketed HPBT has an OAL of 3.300 inches.

Is the OAL listed for each bullet a minimum or a maximum cartridge OAL. If maximum why the diffference from the 3.340 inches Lyman shows for the 30 06 in their drawing of the cartridge.

I know these are pretty basic but I have read the Lyman and ABCs and I'm not getting a clear picture. Thanks.
Old January 2, 2010, 02:41 AM   #2
Shoney

Quote:
1. When I seat a bullet that has a canneluer do I have to align the canniueur with the case mouth?
In rifle it is not necessary. If you have sized the case correctly, the neck tension will hold the bullet firmly in place.
For revolvers, it is a good idea to roll crimp into the cannelure.

Quote:
Quote:
2. I have a Lee crimping die. Is there any reason why it would be bad to always crimp after seating a .308, 30 06 or 6.55X55 Mauser. I'm a little confused about the crimping, when to or not to. Must you crimp on a canneluer? I have Lee Dies.
There is controversy on this. In rifles, Lee says it will increase your accuracy, perhaps because it also aligns the bullet. For pistols, may claim it is the best way to correct poor reloading techniques.

Quote:
3. Example from the Lyman 48 manual shows a Maximum OAL of a 30 06 round as 3.340 inches. When I look at the various bullets it gives a wide variety of OAL numbers.
In order to allign along the bore and stay in place, there must be at least one diameter of the bullet in the neck. The heavier bullets are longer and therefore seating one diameter of the bullet will yield a longer OAL.

Quote:
Is the OAL listed for each bullet a minimum or a maximum cartridge OAL. If maximum why the diffference from the 3.340 inches Lyman shows for the 30 06 in their drawing of the cartridge.
The OAL's are usually set by SAAMI standards to fit in the average magazine and function properly. Going shorter will put the bullet into the case or compact the powder and will generally raise the pressure a litle. Seating longer may cause the cartridge to hang up in the magazine. Most chambers have the throat or leade far forward of what is necessary, in order to accommodate the longest of bullets.

OAL's are to be used as a guideline, not as the gospel. Longer cartridges, which will not fit the magazine and will chamber can be hand fed one at a time.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 2, 2010, 03:16 AM   #3
michaeltpo

Thanks

Thanks for helping me out.
Old January 2, 2010, 09:43 AM   #4
wncchester

1. When I seat a bullet that has a canneluer do I have to align the canniueur with the case mouth?"

No.

No. No. And the brand of dies doesn't matter. (Crimping may help, may hurt, may do noting for those cartridges. Try it both ways. And don't over-crimp, a common newbie mistake.)

3. "..the Lyman 48 manual shows a Maximum OAL of a 30 06 round as 3.340 inches. When I look at the various bullets it gives a wide variety of OAL numbers. "

Kinda suggests book OAL isn't very critical, don't it? What they publish is what they used to develop their data; it's neither RIGHT nor WRONG for anyone else.

Find your own OAL, one that will feed, chamber and shoot well in YOUR firearm, otherwise you will be reloading for THEIR firearm and that largely defeats part of what reloading is all about!
Old January 2, 2010, 10:01 AM   #5
NCMountain

I use a very mild roll crimp myself on the base end of the cannelure. Lee suggest it should abut against the nose side.

But I have shot these loaded the way I do it and no issues what so ever.