The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2010, 01:27 PM   #1
MikeGoob

Can overly hot .38spl harm a .357 mag revolver?

Say someone is receiving a lot of handloaded .38 with unknown pressures and quality. Is it fair to say any hot or double loads (!) wont harm a .357?

Just for plinking purposes, no serious shooting.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Crankylove

Quote:
with unknown pressures and quality

Why would somebody shoot them at all with those two variables unknown?
Old January 1, 2010, 01:35 PM   #3
NCMountain

Not sure I would shoot anything in any gun that I have no idea what they loaded.

But that is just me. You could extrapulate the charge in grains I assum if you know the weight of the case; primer; and bullet. Then subtract those weights from the total to get maybe how many grains are in the loaded round but then you have to ask yourself.......did they use the right powder?

I say never shoot any load that can't be verified as to powder brand; charge in grains to cross ref. in a manual; weight of bullet to include brand to cross ref. with powder they used.

To me that would be alot of trouble to go to.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:35 PM   #4
mouse07410

Just hot 38Spl won't harm a .357 Magnum revolver.

But if you start talking double load - I don't know. Personally I wouldn't touch that ammo.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Sarge

You can blow up a .357 with a gross overloaded in a .38 Special case.

Refuse the ammunition. Throw away any you have.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:44 PM   #6
Jim243

That's not totally true. A double charge of Bullseye powder for a 125 grain 38 Spl would be 8.8 grains the max for the same bullet in a 357 is 8.6 grains. While 0.2 grains may not be that unsafe, it really depends on the gun. A max load for 357 of 8.6 grains could be unsafe in a 30 year old gun that may not have been kept up.

On a 110 grain bullet in 38 Spl a load of W231 would be a max of 5.7 grains, in 357 a max for that bullet would be 9.5 as you can see 11.4 grains would be very dangerous.

I would not recommend using ANY unmarked reloads given to you. It is cheaper to buy ammo than a new gun or hand.

I would take the ammo and pull the bullets out and toss the powder and decap and resize the cases, then make my own with components that I know will be safe for my gun. If you do not reload then toss the whole thing or give/trade it to someone that does.

Jim
Old January 1, 2010, 01:47 PM   #7
MikeGoob

Great insights as usual, thanks guys
Old January 1, 2010, 01:54 PM   #8
alloy

OK, I don't know and I admit it, but from reading around here I have learned what a blown out cylinder looks like.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:59 PM   #9
spacecoast

Quote:
A double charge of Bullseye powder for a 125 grain 38 Spl would be 8.8 grains the max for the same bullet in a 357 is 8.6 grains.
True, but the .357 case is longer and therefore more volume, which I believe would moderate the spike in pressure caused by that much powder. I'm not sure whether or not .357 cases have greater wall thickness, but wouldn't be surprised if they do.
Old January 1, 2010, 02:52 PM   #10
mapsjanhere

I had the same issue with 100 unknown 44 spcl that came with a 44 mag revolver. I pulled the bullets, tossed the powder and refilled with known loads.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:05 PM   #11
farmerboy

I agree with the posts that states,"Why even take a chance?" pull the bullets, trash the powder and start over and then and only then, you know what you have and they are safe!!!
Old January 1, 2010, 07:31 PM   #12
Don P

Yep sure can and let me know when your at the range with those loads you speak of. I'll stay home that day
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 1, 2010, 07:35 PM   #13
ZeSpectre

The line between precision firearm and hand grenade is pretty narrow and I value my fingers too much to try unknown ammo.

And YES, you can overload a .38 Special case enough to blow out a .357 revolver. There's a fair amount of volume in that case.

Be safe
Old January 1, 2010, 08:31 PM   #14
Sevens

This is very, very basic. If you didn't build them, and you don't know what's in them, you'd have to be plain nuts to shoot them and nearly as crazy to keep them in your possession. You should dispose of them or break them down before they find their way in to anyone's handgun.

"Overly hot" is not an industry term of any defined pressure or range. Pressure does not double as powder charge is doubled. Not even close, not in any way.

Shooting them is a horrible idea.
Old January 2, 2010, 01:32 AM   #15
Hey_Allen

I'd have to side with the side of caution.

As I'm loading .38 special with Clays (not universal or international, just clays) it only takes between 2.5 and 3.5 grains, and that only puts a slight amount of volume in the cases.
If I were to 'fill' a case with Clays, it'd be more like a 5-6x charge, not a double charge. I'm fairly sure that even my old S&W model 28 would throw a fit at that point, much less one of the newer light weight .357 guns.

Take care, and enjoy many more days shooting and loading.