The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 6, 2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Martowski

Volquartsen Hammer in 10/22: What a Difference!

Just installed a Volquartsen hammer in my old 10/22. Wow, what a difference! It took a 7 lb trigger pull down to around 1 3/4 lb. It's not "glass rod" crisp but it sure is a huge improvement over the old pull.

If you own a 10/22 and want to see some immediate results without a lot of time invested, this is the way to go. You need to a little handy in term of feeling comfortable changing out parts, but I got mine completed in around 30 minutes or so.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:17 PM   #2
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Yup--I don't even change the springs---just the hammer---and it brings the trigger weight down by at least half.

Do that to all my 10/22's
-------Metallica
Old May 6, 2017, 10:31 PM   #3
Martowski

I am shocked at the difference. I figured it would help some, but couldn't believe it when it snapped at 1 3/4 lbs. on my trigger scale.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:33 PM   #4
CDR_Glock

Wow. That's incredible. I bet the accuracy is amazing on it.

I have a kid trigger but the limiting factor for me is the barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old May 6, 2017, 10:58 PM   #5
Martowski

I'll be taking it out tomorrow. Also installed a Williams peep sight and front fire sight as well. Wanted a peep sight on the old Ruger and hope this works out.
Old May 7, 2017, 05:06 PM   #6
Mike38

They do make a big difference. While I had mine apart, I drilled and taped the trigger for an over travel stop. Mine started at 2 pounds, but after a thousand rounds or so it settled in at 1.75.
Old May 9, 2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Fishbed77

I've found that installing just the Volquartsen hammer (no need to replace the springs) will decrease the weight of the trigger pull, but I've never found this mod to to make the pull any crisper or smoother by itself.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:56 AM   #8
Martowski

That's what the results were with mine. Much lighter but not much difference in crispness. But the actual pull weight decrease makes a huge difference.
Old May 9, 2017, 07:25 PM   #9
Pahoo

Glad it turned out well. for you

Quote:
Volquartsen Hammer in 10/22: What a Difference
Sure is and you made the "preferred" choice as I have never had a problem with the Volts kit. Your current trigger pull did not surprise me after going back and reading that you have an older model. Volts and others, list a range of 2.25 or 2.5 Lbs. The main reason yours is lighter, is because it is worn in. With a little more effort, you can remove the creep as well as having a crisper release. When I do one of these, I go all the way with the honing, springs and auto bolt release conversion. On mine, I install a trigger over travel set screw. Another point, is be thankful you have the older receiver. ....

They are great fun to work on and see the great results, at the range. ...

Be Safe !!!!
Old May 9, 2017, 08:00 PM   #10
Martowski

Thanks Pahoo! I may put some more into this down the road, but as of right now I'm just tickled to have such a light trigger pull on the old 10/22. I received this as a Christmas gift when I was 15 or so and that was more than a couple years ago.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:30 PM   #11
bbqncigars

The reason the hammer works so well is that the sear geometry is changed. If you looked at the original hammer, it would get cammed back a little as the trigger was pulled. This results in a fairly 'sucky' trigger pull. I used to do trigger jobs on 10/22 rifles back in the day. The VQ hammer has the same geometry that I ended up with. It's a great drop-in hammer. Kudos to VQ.
Old May 12, 2017, 08:48 AM   #12
9x19

Scott Volquartsen, and his crew, do awesome work and make really good products. They also stand behind them 100%, IME.
Old May 12, 2017, 02:10 PM   #13
cslinger

I have two VQ full trigger groups and they are awesome. I also have kept a bone stock 10/22 over the years almost as a point of comparison if you will.

That being said I was having extractor woes and it appeared my extractor might be damaged or worn or whatever. So I figured it's cheap enough to go VQ exact edge to see if this fixes the problem. I also figured since I was going to be under the hood so to speak I would give the VQ hammer a go just to see if there was any difference in replacing just that small part so relatively cheaply.

I haven't gotten to the range yet but in dry firing there is a MARKED difference in the trigger. The break is much much lighter feeling. Still not up to a full KIDD or VQ trigger pack but a pretty huge difference for a $25-$30 dollar part. If the extractor install went as planned $40 dollars in parts will have transformed this little base 10/22.

We do not speak of the money put into the built 10/22s. That 'tis a dark place.
Old May 12, 2017, 05:44 PM   #14
cslinger

Ok my thoughts.

I have built a 10/22 or three, good barrels, good stocks and most importantly I have always used VQ trigger groups. Both VQ and KIDD trigger groups are awesome pieces of kit but are also not inexpensive in any way. Hell they basically cost as much as the donor rifle.

Over the years I have heard people talk about just throwing a VQ hammer in and how wonderful it is. I sort of blew it off as there is no way just swapping a hammer out is gonna have that much of an impact.

I also have an old 10/22 stainless that I have kept stock as sort of a comparison rifle to the built guns. It has always preferred high velocity ammo to function but as of late was really having some issues so I pulled the extractor and sure enough it was either damaged or out of spec. I figure no worries I will just throw in a VQ extractor and that should take care of it.

Well as I am ordering the extractor I figure since I'm gonna be under the hood anyway, why not try the VQ hammer swap. At worst I am out like $30.00 and chances are I will see some marginal improvement to the -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-ty stock trigger. So in the cart it goes.

Got the parts today. Installed both and off to the range.

1st-The extractor works perfectly. The gun has never run this well. Ran a variety of ammo lots of it crappy bulk stuff not a single issue. Not only fixed my current issue but she is better then new. $8.00 well spent, but I knew it would be.

2nd-On to the "Magical Hammer". Right I am thinking. Pullleessse. First shot down the tube I was in SHOCK. That one tiny part (I left stock spring) COMPLETELY changed this gun. The trigger pull is so markedly better that I really cannot put it into words. I should have listened and tried this years ago. The trigger packs are still better but they sure as hell are not $200 better.

The break is so light and crisp now I cannot even wrap my head around the fact this is the same rifle. Hell it even made the -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-ty stock sights bearable.

So here I am hat in hand admitting to all. I WAS WRONG. Replacing nothing more then the hammer in a 10/22 will ABSOLUTELY make a huge difference. The ROI on this is off the charts. It's inexpensive and easy. Cannot ask for more than that.
Old May 12, 2017, 07:34 PM   #15
Pahoo

The most bang for your buck

Quote:
So here I am hat in hand admitting to all. I WAS WRONG. Replacing nothing more then the hammer in a 10/22 will ABSOLUTELY make a huge difference
No foul here as we are all on a learning curve.
I would add that installing a Volts Target Hammer for around $35.00 will give you the "most" bang for your buck.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 13, 2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:34 PM   #16
Martowski

Again, I am amazed at what that little part did for my 22 year old 10/22!