The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2016, 10:12 PM   #26
chris in va

No problems at all with Harbor Freight walnut. Quite a few bags the past few years.

I rigged a separator using a 3 gallon bucket, with a 2 gallon nested inside. I drilled about 30 holes in the bottom, roughly 1/4". Toss everything in, let the media drain a bit then shake the SNOT out of the cases for about a minute until I don't see any walnut come out the bottom.

Works great.
Old November 14, 2016, 11:28 PM   #27
xcc_rider

I've tumbled thru 1\2 of a bag of Harbor Freight walnut media and have had no problems to date. (I've got 3 more bags\boxes in the shed leftover from a shell I was working on)
I tumble the brass and then poor it into a plastic colander I picked up at a thrift shop. I drilled the bottom holes out a bit so the media would pass thru it easier and like above I hold the colander over a bucket and shake the snot out of it to clear all the media out of the brass.

No problems at all but I do tumble the brass before decapping.
Old November 15, 2016, 08:50 AM   #28
kerreckt

I have used walnut for many years with no problems. I cut the bottom from a five gallon pail and attached 1/4" hardware screen. I dump and shake vigorously. I rarely have shell in the flash hole. Works for me.
Old November 15, 2016, 09:50 AM   #29
Paladin7

Personally, I believe tumbling brass with walnut or corn cob media is obsolete... The new wet tumblers with the stainless steel pins, like Frankford Arsenal sells, does a much better job in less time, eliminates the dust problems and potential breathing in of carcinogens, and the brass comes out looking like new, including the inside of the case and primer pockets. The other benefit, is that there is no longer a need to clean primer pockets after tumbling.

I'm not sure why anyone still tumbles with walnut or corn cob media anymore. Maybe it's just a matter of not replacing what is working, albeit poorly.
Old November 15, 2016, 10:21 AM   #30
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I agree.
At one time I had a 25lb box of it that its walnut shell was covered in jewelers red rouge and acetone. It was happily dis-guarded after 3 attempts at cleaning my rifles yellow brass. Waxy rouge packed into every small brass's crevasse. Especially at the base of the cartridge wall where it meets the cartridge rim. True. A small area. Even so I had to manually brush that area clean of red rouge as the cartridges heat build would melt the jeweler's rouge and transfer it to the rifles extractor. In time I suppose there could be enough build up to cause a ejection malfunctioning. (ruger 243) Turned to using corn cob. Been pleased with its cleaning. No problems what-so-ever incurred.
Old November 15, 2016, 10:45 AM   #31
rclark

I personally like walnut medium. I don't put any polishing junk in it either. I usually tumble with {spent} primer in too, so punching the primer also punches out a stuck walnut bit. That said I don't use a progressive.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 15, 2016, 10:49 AM   #32
KEYBEAR

The new wet tumblers with the stainless steel pins,

I like Wall nut and will never use pins and water . I load my tumbler and let it run over night . The next morning dump out the brass and load it .

Cleaning my brass takes about 3/5 min max .
No mess no wet brass and no dents in my brass .
Old November 15, 2016, 12:14 PM   #33
mikld

No offence intended, but I think this is a case of "progressive press syndrome". "Don't inspect anything, just dump a bunch of empties in a hopper." Same with primer pockets, small vs. large. Or when a .380 case gets dumped in a batch of 9mm. Blaming walnut media for not cleaning, or checking the machine or not inspecting the brass and living with a problem for three months? Gotta be kidding...

I've played with everything from dried coffee grounds to beach sand, to wood chunks to ceramic media, including walnut and corn cob bast media for tumbling/cleaning my brass, and have never been successful in blaming the media for my faux pas...
Old November 15, 2016, 09:40 PM   #34
Machineguntony

Wow! I didn't realize there was so much passion when it comes to tumbling media. Lol.

So I guess that I should clarify...

I reload and shoot about 50,000 rounds year. I take friends and family shooting all the time, spreading the joy.

I reload for speed. I am not looking for the most accurate round, the prettiest or shiniest round, and I'm not picky. I just want my presses to work, I want as few jams as possible, and I want to do very little work when it comes to reloading.

I work 60-80 hours a week, and I have no desire to throughly and individually examine 10,000 pieces of brass. If reloading becomes work, I'd rather just buy pallets of 9mm, 223, and 308.

I have 1050s for each major caliber I shoot. I tumble the brass, spin the brass to get rid of the media, dump in the brass, dump in the bullets, feed the primers, push a button, watch the press, gather the ammo.

In this process, some amount of walnut media is always left over in the cases, and since its inflexible, it will gunk up the press. With corn, I have none of these problems.

There are many ways to reload, but that's just the way I reload.
Old November 15, 2016, 10:29 PM   #35
Gemmer

The title of your post suggested passion on your part. "Walnut tumbling media is terrible. Kinda set the tone don't you think?
Maybe a post asking if others experienced the same issues as yours would have resulted in a more moderate response.
Old November 15, 2016, 11:20 PM   #36
turtlehead

I FARTed.

It's great.
Old November 16, 2016, 12:01 PM   #37
mikld

With the volume you need perhaps a small cement mixer with a wet media? Vigorous shaking after dry tumbling is pretty good at loosening stuck media. I have a wire mesh trash basket that I will shake 'em up in after tumbling which gets 99% of the stuck grains of media out of the cases. (Sounds like you reload more in a month than I shoot in 6! )
Old November 16, 2016, 12:57 PM   #38
Dufus

Quote:
.........and I want to do very little work when it comes to reloading.
Not to sound ugly, but it sounds like short cut city to me. To each his own and if your style works for you, then so be it.

Happy shootin'.
Old November 17, 2016, 03:10 PM   #39
Stats Shooter

I personally use the stainless steel pins, a squirt of dawn dish soap, and teaspoon of lemmeshine in distilled water. My tumbler will do about 500 556x45 cases, about 300, .300 win mag, or about 1000 40 S&W. As others have said, the brass is cleaned inside and out as well as the flash hole.

Cleanup is a bit of a mess, I use a steel mesh strainer and then run water down the flash holes which pushes out any remaining pins. Then, when they are dry, I shake each one as I inspect it to make sure or I push my little (but strong) pin magnet down the neck.

It is quiet, it makes no dust, I never have to replace media, and the cases are clean in about 3 hours.....but still cleanup is a bit of a pain.
Old November 17, 2016, 03:28 PM   #40
m&p45acp10+1

I have been using the HF media for years. I have cleaned well over a million cases with it. It is almost all I have ever used. It is fine as far as size goes. It will not clog flash holes provided you let any polish run until the clumps break up before putting brass in.

If you are getting media into your progressive loader after tumbling you should do a few things before blaming the media.

1. If you put any liquid polish in the media let it run until the clumps break up. For me this is about a half hour or so.

2. Get a better separator. You have to get the media out of the case, and with the fine walnut if you do not have a good separator you are going to have to dump out each case. With large media like corn cob with small necked rounds like .223 Rem it can get stuck inside. T

The only walnut media I have ever had stick in a flash hole is Lyman Tuff Nut.It is larger, and more coarse. I only use it to clean up real bad cruddy brass.

If that is more than you care for I can suggest you skip the tumbling with media. A simple wash, and shake in a sealable container followed by a fresh water rinse will do what you need. Just let the brass dry all the way before running it.
Old November 17, 2016, 10:12 PM   #41
William T. Watts

After tumbling in walnut media you always inspect every case to ensure nothing is in the case and the flash hole is not plugged, always!! If there is a problem your not checking all the cases, that's an operator error!! William
Old November 18, 2016, 12:54 PM   #42
mikld

Quote:
After tumbling in walnut media you always inspect every case to ensure nothing is in the case and the flash hole is not plugged, always!! If there is a problem your not checking all the cases, that's an operator error!! William
EGG-ZAK-LLY! Inspection is an extremely important part of reloading, and I do it after each step from pickin' up brass at the range to putting the reloads in a box...