The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 6, 2000, 05:09 AM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Since there are no indoor ranges suitable in Salt Lake - and Range Masters in Springville is both outstanding, but distant...
I think we should go for an outdoor venue.
The PMAA range is a good location and the benches are covered in case of foul weather.
5 bucks to shoot all you like - so the range fee is cheap and friendly. Less Range Fee = more ammo. .22LR up to .50BMG is fine, pistol or rifle - no problem.
If we could do it on the 18th that would be great. I'll be there on the 18th either way.
So anyone around is welcome to come do some shooting with me. All informal - no contest... just some fun like last time. Bring all your guns and a few friends and everyone can try all the guns they want...
Down side is there are no rental guns or ammo to buy on the location - so bring all you can or pick some up on the way.
The range is located up parley's canyon... Take 80 East twards park city and and a little ways up the canyon you will take the East Canyon North exit and you'll see it right there off to your right. Cant miss it.
Takes me anly 10 minutes to get there from my house, so its very cool for me... maybe not so cool for others in Utah - but since its not all the way down in Springville, it is much closer for everyone.
I think Mrs Kodiac will be coming again as well - so you fellas can bring your honeys and they'll not nag at ya so much for goin shooting instead of spending quality time...
This IS quality time...
So - to recap:
March 18th, 10 AM (a little earlier than last time) up in the mountains... Bring "Guns, lots of Guns..."
I'll see about BBQ'ing there and get back to ya...
Old March 8, 2000, 02:53 PM   #2
sbryce

Forwarded to the Missus. We'll see if it fits in the calandar.
Old March 9, 2000, 04:10 AM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

hmmm - not much response.
I will be there anyways... I'll be the guy with the FAL - shooting at stuff very far away.
Old March 9, 2000, 04:27 AM   #4
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

I'm going to try to make it. Depending on how much money I have.

------------------
"Freedom has always existed in a very percurious balance. And when buildings stop blowing up, people’s priorities tend to change..." Enemy of the State
Old March 9, 2000, 11:58 AM   #5
Correia

Sorry for the late reply, midterms are this week so I haven't gotten very much TFL time.

I'm going to have to check and see if I can do it. I was actually planning on going to the local range here in Logan and doing some .22 work, but another TFL get together would be awesome. My wife is pregnant, and hasn't felt like shooting, but if we do a BBQ I can probably talk her into coming. (She cooks for a living, you wouldn't believe how good she can cook). I also have a couple of friends who I am trying to get interested in shooting, I might be able to drag them along. Actually, if I get some friends together, we can carpool!

Shoot, looks like I've talked myself into going again! Now I just have to see how much disposable income I can use. Hmm...

I'll post again latter this week to confirm.
Old March 9, 2000, 01:40 PM   #6
Correia

Ok, slight problem.

Thats the weekend of my anniversery. Whoops.

Well have fun, if I come it will be a fluke of nature.
Old March 10, 2000, 01:53 AM   #7
blades67

George, you just keep making the plans and one of them will fit my schedule. I won't be able to make it up into Utah until sometime this summer, I'm getting ready to move into a new place here in the valley so money and time are in short supply. When I do get a chance to make the trip, I'll bring my 91 and we'll make "stuff very far away" tremble!

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old March 10, 2000, 05:50 AM   #8
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Dont worry - I make plans within plans...
Old March 13, 2000, 07:57 AM   #9
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Bad news.
Even though the PMAA Range in the Canyon is available (and as fine an outdoor range as you could ask for) I will not be able to attend. I will be in Island Park, Idaho during that time. Taking some advice - I shall attempt to gain insight and harmony from Fish. Or from the attempt at catching fish - called "fishing". While I do not understand the process or the concept in general - the part of hanging out in a boat for the better part of a day is appealing. Perhaps if I cruise the waterways at fill tilt boogie with a line in the water, I may snag something edible. That has an appeal to it. Unfortunatly it is still very much winter there and thus such distractions shall be unavailable. Ice Fishing may be more likely. This is a concept even MORE alien to me and as a result I will try to combine my plan with whats available.
So if your near Island Park or Yellowstone and you see a maniac on a snowmobile trailing a line of 500 pound test with a large ugly hook trying to snag rabbits or moose - just yield the right of way and be glad I'm not still in Salt Lake dragging a flapping hook from the back of my car.
Old March 14, 2000, 02:15 AM   #10
Covert Mission

re "So if your near Island Park or Yellowstone and you see a maniac on a snowmobile trailing a line of 500 pound test with a large ugly hook trying to snag rabbits or moose - just yield the right of way and be glad I'm not still in Salt Lake dragging a flapping hook from the back of my car."

That's VERY DANG FUNNY, George. ROTFL!
Old March 20, 2000, 05:35 AM   #11
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

No rabbits, moose, or fish...

shoulda gone to the range!

Old March 22, 2000, 11:12 AM   #12
Correia

Sorry about the lack of fish, but if you feel like driving a looonnnngggg way, four of my friends and I are going to get together at the range in Logan this Sat. the 25th. They are all new to being gun owners, one guy just bought his first gun, a glock, another guy just bought his first also, a bushmaster and a Walther p99. The last guy and his wife are friends of mine who I am harrasing into becoming gun owners. So if any of you guys are interested let me know.

Range fee is $2 for the whole day. The indoor range is down for repair. There is a 100 yard, 50 yard, and 25 yard outdoor range. There is also a skeet range, $5 to use it. Not sure what time we will be meeting yet because of everybodys work schedules.

With $1.75 gas all of our SLC area members should carpool. Ha!