The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2014, 07:23 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

I always get tooo emotional about things....S&W.38 Special Model 10

Bought a good condition Model 10-5 at the Hampton Gunshow yesterday. So now, I am all ate up with .38 Special. My only previous .38 Special experience was with black powder in .38 SP and .357 for an Uberti Cattleman

I would like to cast my own bullets using BHN 12 to 14 metal. Probly use the Lee mold.

I am not an outstanding shooter just want something to run through it.

What do you like?
What speed should I expect? (Four inch barrel and good bore)
Old December 1, 2014, 09:37 AM   #2
Shootest

I like 148g WC from the Lee mould over 3.1g Bullseye, it shoots great from all my 38s and 357s.
Old December 1, 2014, 10:22 AM   #3
salvadore

I shoot a lot of lead out of my .38s and even tho I don't own one, I like the looks of Lee's. 358-150-1r.
Old December 1, 2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Using lead bullets, keep your target velocity about 800-900 fps. and you'll have an excellent range load for informal plinking.

Bullseye, AA 2, Unique, and Trail Boss are all excellent powders for the .38 Special.

My personal favorite, though, is WW231. It's been my go-to powder for 30 years for almost all of my handgun reloading.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 1, 2014, 12:13 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Thanks all.....

I have some Unique as well as some 231.

Looks like I have a good place to start as regards powder.

I have a mold for 125 RNFP.

I understand y'all have done a good bit of load development.....

But is there any reason to stay away from that lighter bullet?

Richard Lee's manual talks about MV pushing 1100 with that projectile. Is that too fast for a cast bullet with a hardness at 12 to 14?
Old December 1, 2014, 12:40 PM   #6
Paul B.

"But is there any reason to stay away from that lighter bullet?"

None that I know of. I don't shoot that one.
My loads are:

Lyman #358495 148 gr. wadcutter over either 3..1 gr. of Bullseye o 3.1 gr. of W231.

Lyman #358477 150 gr. plain base semi-wadcutter over 5.0 gr. of Unique .

Lyman #358156 158 gr. gas check semi-wadcutter also over 5.0 gr. of Unique.

Lyman #358430 195 gr. bluff round nose over 3.5 gr. of Unique.
All loads have proven to be safe in my .38 Spl. revolvers including Smith & Wesson M60 snub nose. Accuracy is quite good considering my shooting ability.
Bullets have been cast from wheel weight metal with a bit of tin added. I size mine to .359" #358156 is also used for full power loads in a .357 Magnum with the bullets sized to .359".
Enjoy that M10.
Paul B.
Old December 1, 2014, 12:41 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

Welcome to the 38 Special world - it's a good one. There is no other round more fun to load. I don't cast, but I suppose that's rather fun too.

My "go to's" are 148 DEWC's with 2.9g Bullseye for IDPA/Steel; and I bump it up to 3.1g for practice - just like Shootest's recommendation. I bump it up a bit for practice and it seems to run a little cleaner - less blowback to foul the cylinder charge holes.

For ICORE and general practice, I use a 158 LSWC with 3.5g Bullseye. I also use 4.0g WW231 when I want to practice with a little more recoil and a cleaner burn.

All of these are good, fun shooters. None of them approach "+P" (getting tired of that term, but I guess it suits my meaning here) and can be shot through your nifty Model 10 by the tens of thousands - probably more.

BTW: My 38 Special revolver is a Model 67 w/4" bbl.
Old December 1, 2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

Thanks PB.

Thanks.
Old December 1, 2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

Nick

Tnx.
Old December 1, 2014, 12:54 PM   #10
mikld

One of my favorite bullets for my 9mm, .38 Specials, and .357 Magnums is Lee's 125 gr, RNFP. I have dip lubed with 45-45-10, pan lubed with a bunch of lubes (Carnauba Red, Speed Green, NRA Lube, and half a dozen more), and powder coat some. For my 9mms I size the bullets to .357" and for the .38/.357 I go with .358"+.

If yer gonna start casting, Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook is a good reference, 3rd Edition if you can find one, but a 4th will do (3rd is much more new caster friendly). I've never really bothered with using a specific BHN for my .38 and my alloy for hand gun bullets usually runs about 10 or so because bullet to cylinder throat fit is more important. I size my revolver bullets to match the cylinder throats, which for my .38s is .358"-.359"...
Old December 1, 2014, 02:41 PM   #11
Doc Hoy

MIKLD

Thanks for the wink back.

I am looking forward to shooting this pistol.

Just had rotator cuff surgery and won't be using the left arm much for a while.

But I can dream.
Old December 1, 2014, 03:15 PM   #12
jdscholer

We load and shoot tons of cast 38's in a variety of wheel guns. I've got both the 125 Lee rnfp and 158 swc. Both throw a little heavier with the straight wheel weight alloy I generally use.

I lube with Lee tumble lube method with my Alox cut a little with thinner and Johnsons Paste Wax. (end result a little thinner and not so gummy)

One advantage with having both light and heavy weight molds is that with a fixed sight gun like your #10, one or the other bullets may shoot to a better POI. (generally lighter shooting lower)

I use these rounds with whatever odd and end pistol powders that I happen to have, and pick a charge that keeps me on the shy side of 1000 fps, and just have fun. jd
Old December 1, 2014, 03:22 PM   #13
jdscholer

Hey Doc, I just read your last post concerning rotator cuff surgery. Here's a pic of me a couple years ago with the same prob. I taught myself to shoot lefty with this bobbed hammer 64, and got pretty good. I highly recommend it as therapy. jd

Old December 1, 2014, 03:30 PM   #14
Doc Hoy

Thanks JD.....

When they asked, I told the gents at the gunshow that there was actually nothing wrong with my arm. I told them that I was using the sling to hide all of the stuff I had stolen at the gun show.

About half of them got the joke. The rest sent a quick glance back over their table to see if anything was missing.

As regards which paw, the surgery was on my left one and I am right handed. I could go shooting tomorrow and still be as lousy a shot as I was before the sawbones got hold of me. Guess I'll have to think up a better excuse.