The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 22, 2016, 08:42 PM   #1
tommyherman

Best Gun Lube

What lube and cleaners do you guys use for your pistols?
Old January 22, 2016, 09:39 PM   #2
jmhyer

There are numerous threads that discuss this topic. Try a search. Having said that, I don't think it's nearly as important WHAT you use as opposed to WHERE and HOW MUCH you use...especially when it comes to lubrication. A little goes a long way.
Old January 22, 2016, 10:45 PM   #3
SLURVE

TW25B best lube for very active parts-the light grease doesn't creep but stays where you dab it and long lasting at harsh environment and temp. For regular clp, try Breakfree or organic source of Gunzilla - no harsh synthetic chemicals and smell.

Last edited by SLURVE; January 23, 2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old January 22, 2016, 11:11 PM   #4
PSP

I make my own, a mix of K-Y and bacon fat. Slick and smells great, especially after the gun heats up a bit and begins to sizzle.

Last edited by PSP; January 23, 2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old January 22, 2016, 11:26 PM   #5
Doc Holliday 1950

Since I don't use ammo that is dirty or that leaves excess carbon, the cleaner/lube I use is excellent. It's called "Formula three" gun lube/conditioner/cleaner.
I use this every time I shoot, which is anywhere from 100 to 200 rounds/revolver.
M Ruger GP100 and my Rossi 461, both 357 mags do guite well using this. Also, does my wife's LCR 357.
The reason that I use this is because I can't stand the fumes from the heavy duty cleaners.

It's like anything out there. If you treat your weapons like garbage, your chances of something going wrong is exponential.
Remember what your Mom told you? Always wear clean undeware on. YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN SomehiIng WILL HAPPEN. Same goes for your guns.
Doc
Old January 22, 2016, 11:33 PM   #6
sigarms228

Hoppes NO 9 solvent for cleaning including the bore, M-Pro 7 LPX oil and Slide Glide medium grease for lube, Breakfree CLP and Eezox for protection. Eezox is for long term protection of firearms rarely used and Breakfree CLP for my often used firerams.

Everything but Slide Glide grease can be purchased at Walmart. When I run out of Slide Glide I am going with Lucas Marine grease that can be purchased at Home Depot.

Asking what's the best lube and cleaner is like asking everyone what their favorite beer or candy bar is.

IMO keeping a firearm properly lubed is more important than the specific lube one uses though I personally would avoid Frog Lube due to many reported problems where it can becomes hard enough to prevent firearm from firing when inside the firing pin channel.

Last edited by sigarms228; January 22, 2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old January 22, 2016, 11:44 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Hoppe's #9 for cleaners ng. Any kind of gun oil for parts tuat rotate, any kind of gun grease for parts that slide.
Finally LOTS of butter for the popcorn needed to watch yet another long thread with lots of opinions!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 22, 2016, 11:57 PM   #8
745SW

I use Mobil1 grease and DuraLube or BreakFree usually. On a polymer arm I tend to use silicon lubes because of high stability, doesn't separate as other lubes. This separation IMO over time can attack plastic/polymer.
Old January 23, 2016, 12:24 AM   #9
TunnelRat

I like Slip 2000. I find it to stay on the parts reasonably well but isn't too viscous.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 23, 2016, 07:03 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

I've been using Hoppes 9 and Gunscrubber as solvents, and WeaponShield (oil or grease, depending on the part) for lube.

This thread might prove interesting for the OP: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=546316
Old January 23, 2016, 11:52 AM   #11
cw308

Cleaners , I use Hoppe#9, KG1, KG12 & Wipe- Out. As for lubes, Tetra grease & Ballistol. After this snow storm we went through, my old bones need a good lube.

Last edited by cw308; January 24, 2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old January 23, 2016, 12:52 PM   #12
Roland Thunder

M-Pro 7 bore solvent and Balistol for lube/protection
Old January 23, 2016, 02:22 PM   #13
TXAZ

PSP eloquently noted
Quote:
I make my own, a mix of K-Y and bacon fat. Slick and smells great, especially after the gun heats up a bit and begins to sizzle.
You are my hero sir!
I haven't heard one that good in a while!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 23, 2016, 02:51 PM   #14
Llama Bob

I'm a fan of Gibbs for cleaning, water displacement, and lube. It just seems to work.

Breakfree CLP is a perfectly serviceable product as well.
Old January 24, 2016, 06:09 PM   #15
Sulaco

I've used the same bottle of FP-10 for the last ten years or so now. When I get a new gun I strip it down and clean it completely and then just use this to lubricate. Works great. I had an old Glock 17 2nd gen I kept in my truck glovebox for years before I took it out to shoot it. It still had FP-10 on the slide rails and the barrel. It gets hot and cold here in SC so it was exposed to some very extreme temperature changes over the course of that time. Minimal evaporation and no gumming at all. I'm sold.
Old January 24, 2016, 06:13 PM   #16
erikk

ED's Red & Mobile 1
Old January 24, 2016, 06:50 PM   #17
MarkCO

I used my own mix for years and tried all the free stuff I got at matches. My mix was better than what I tried, and cost a lot less. When I tested the Lucas Oil Extreme Duty, I was impressed and tested it extensively. The line has no equal in terms of performance on a multitude of tests. Lucas is a great company with integrity who cares about their product and their customers.

After turning down a few gun care product sponsorships over the years I am very proud to be sponsored by Lucas. Some of the biggest names have sought Lucas sponsorship in the last few months and I have been impressed with the responses Lucas has to them, choosing to stick with the Lucas shooters who have carried the banner for the past 15 months as the support grows.

There is a reason that SIG, Armalite, Brownells and a host of other reputable companies switched to Lucas in 2015, great customer care and the best line of gun lubrication and cleaning products available.
Old January 24, 2016, 09:27 PM   #18
Overkill777

Breakfree CLP. No reason to use anything else.
Old January 24, 2016, 10:07 PM   #19
AZ-Quailhunter

FP10 and Slip 2000.
Old January 24, 2016, 10:46 PM   #20
fariaguard

Best lube, not a cleaner.

Not abusing our toys is the best thing we can do to prolong service life. Metal to metal friction is what wears parts out.

I found this product by accident on youtube. It's called Weapon Shield by Steel Shield. I have no affiliation with them. After looking into the reviews on Midway USA there were 49 five star reviews out of 50. The one person that gave it 4 stars was upset as the needle dispenser was bent due to poor packaging but still loved the product. That's about as perfect as it gets. I've also learned a lot of the competitors in 3Gun races use it too. A brutal test for any lube or weapon.

I have switched to this lube exclusively and the result is mind blowing. Not only do the actions feel like they run on butter coated roller bearings but it changes the sound of the action. The metal to metal shear is defiantly reduced. Weapon Shield does consider this product to be a CLP (cleaner, lubricant, protectant) although I doubt it will remove carbon and fouling.

The video links are below showing the metal wear of Weapon Shield vs. many popular lubes as well as the results if you don't watch the videos.

A comparison of lubricants using a metal to metal bearing to intentionally wear out metal parts.

Bearing testing machine spins a locked bearing (can't spin it's perpendicular) against a rotating piece of steel at 1745 RPM. Considering a full auto M4 cycles at 700-950 RPM this is a brutal test for steel. My Layman's way of comparing a cyclic rate of fire to RPM's. Every pound of pressure reading on the scale is equal to about 35 - 37.5lbs of pressure on the bearing or about 175 - 187lbs PSI of pressure on the bearing for every five pounds on the scale. When a metal is worn away it is called a gal or galling. The larger the gal the more the resistance because the surface area increases demanding a better lubricant. Keep that in mind. I'm sure the tech guys any engineers will have issues with my above explanation but I'm not an engineer or a math guy so if it's wrong I apologize.

Frog Lube. Famous because the Navy Seals used to use it. Not sure if they still do. A vegetable oil based product which causes an increase in viscosity in cold weather and can seize up -0 temps. Not compatible with any petroleum based lubricants. Sucky for SHTF scenarios. Bearing test Frog Lube seized at 3lbs of pressure on the scale creating a gal in the metal bearing

Fireclean. One year shelf life. 4lbs of pressure on the scale, the bearing seized and was galled. Basically it performs about the same as 3in1 oil, Outers Gun Oil, Hoppes Elite Gun oil or cooking oil.

I could not find a comparison of my favorite for years Remoil. I've learned it is too thin and quickly burns off after moderate heat build up.

Breakfree is a popular lubricant. It seized at about 7.5 - 8.5lbs on the scale and galled the bearing.

Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil. It seized at about 7.5 - 8.5lbs on the scale and galled the bearing.

Gun butter seized between 8 - 9.5lbs of pressure on the scale causing a gal in the metal bearing. Great result.

Weapon Shield is a lithium based oil that is not as thick as Gun Butter however a light coat is all you need so migration isn't an issue.

Weapon Shield went to the end of the scale at 25lbs of pressure on the scale and it never seized. That's over 900lbs PSI at 1745 RPM!. A slight dimple of wear is all that is visible on the bearing. It's also available in a needle oiler. It has what they call a cationic property meaning it not only does not attract grit, dirt and lint it repels it by keeping it on the surface of the lubricant. It does not burn off at 400 degrees.

There are many comparison videos on Weapon shield but this 10 minute video sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQLAE3MtTOI

Weaponsheild vs. CLP Breakfree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXD34ToxHtg

As of today I have a new favorite and it is Weapon Shield.
Old January 25, 2016, 02:32 AM   #21
Ride Madone

I only use Weapon Shield now. Grease and oil, both work great.
Old January 25, 2016, 07:14 AM   #22
Kosh75287

Anyone have an opinion on 1:1 Marvel Mystery Oil : Mobil 1? I haven't used it in EVERY imaginable condition, but it seems to work well where I HAVE used it.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old January 25, 2016, 08:53 AM   #23
runningbear

Weapon Shield and CorrosionX and some Breakfree CLP in all my firearms.
Old January 25, 2016, 09:11 AM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

Pistols:

Cleaner / Solvent = BreakThrough

Lubrication = Slide Glide Standard or Lite

AR:

Cleaner / Solvent = BreakThrough

Lubrication = Fireclean Oil

I like to leave ALL PARTS bone dry and clean. Then I apply either grease or oil where necessary. A lot of the lazy spray on CLP's get into places you don't want them and shouldn't want them to go, then gums up when all the carbon sticks to them.
Old January 25, 2016, 01:30 PM   #25
SIMP

Ballistol.....good enough for Hickok, good enough for me.