The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2021, 01:38 PM   #1
Prof Young

Same length brass . . .

Loaders:

After loading a handful of 223 recently and watching the crimp line on the bullet line up or not line up with the end of the case I'm thinking about the most easy way to trim cases to the same length. I can do it with the tools I have but it's labor and time intensive. Is there a tool (preferably power tool) that quickly takes cases to a consistent length? (I realize I'm starting with cases that are not all the same length to begin with.)

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 21, 2021, 04:19 PM   #2
jpx2rk

Something inexpensive would be Worlds Finest Trimmer (WFT), available in different calibers, etc. It does work off the case shoulder, so you'll get variances in trim length due to this. I have used them on 204R, 20P & 6x45, all work fine. You do have to then chamfer & deburr. WFT works with a 12V drill just fine. Consistent length is in the eye of the beholder, so unless your brass is sized exactly the same, you'll get variances in trim lengths.
Old January 21, 2021, 05:09 PM   #3
Marco Califo

I reload 223 and generally they do not need trimming. If they do, it is because you measured them and they are too long.
Cannelures location do not matter much, if at all. You do not need to crimp rifle bullets, and that "crimp ring" can be safely ignored.
If (and only IF) your cases are longer than spec by more than .005" then the L.E. Wilson trimmer is among the better ones. The Giraud Tri-trimmer is excellent, but you buy one toolhead per cartridge. I got one for 308. I do not need one for 223. I have the 223 setup from Wilson and do not use it often.
Old January 21, 2021, 05:22 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

For consistent case length, just get the Lee case trimmer and adapter "gauge" for 223 and their case holder and mount it all in your drill press and go to town. If you don't have a drill press, you can clamp the cutter in a vice and the stud has a 1/4" hex profile for your drill so you can turn the case rather than the cutter all with power tools. You will, however, still have to chamfer and deburr separately.

If you want fancier, I think the RCBS Trim Pro-2 is the only power trimmer that registers off the head rather than the shoulder. RCBS has 3-way cutters for that tool that will trim, chamfer, and deburr all in one pass, so you get some time-saving for your investment.

A third possibility is a Wilson trimmer with a power adapter for the cutter. That's less money than the RCBS, but no tri-way cutter.

Like the WFT and the Possum Hollow and the Giraud, I trim registered on the shoulder to keep bullet jump to the lands maximally consistent. With brass that has the same load history and was fired in the same gun and was sized in the same resizing setup, I really don't see a lot of variation in 223 lengths. Typically around 0.002", which shouldn't be enough to affect a crimp, if I used one.

If you want a crimp and don't have satisfactory length consistency because you are using mixed brass history or headstamp-wise, the Lee Factory Crimp die isn't substantially affected by a bit of length variation.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 21, 2021, 05:35 PM   #5
hounddawg

Old school Wilson with a $30 dollar power screwdriver will give the most consistent trim you can get . Probably get the trimmer, power adapter, case holder and cordless screwdriver for around $100 - 125 USD. If you decide to go with the Worlds Finest Trimmer PM me and I will cut you a bargain. I used it for less than 100 cases
Old January 21, 2021, 06:25 PM   #6
mgulino

I use the Lee Quick Trim chucked in a drill. Lee also has the trim die that mounts in the press. Run the case into the die and trim away. The QT also chamfers and deburrs.
Old January 22, 2021, 06:34 AM   #7
jetinteriorguy

My old Lyman trimmer with the power adapted trim shaft keeps all my cases within +/- .002”. The adapter fits in my battery powered drill or driver. Pretty easy to use, fairly fast. Easy to do 100 cases in a half hour. Lyman also makes a tool similar to the Lee trimmer, but it works much better, the case holder doesn’t let the case spin out of the holder like the Lee tool.
Old January 22, 2021, 10:17 AM   #8
Reloadron

Have an old RCBS manual trimmer and was given an electric one a few years ago. While a little time consuming I get consistent cases every time. Then too I am never in a hurry. I size and then trim.

Ron
Old January 22, 2021, 11:27 AM   #9
Ifishsum

I picked up the Lyman Case Trim Xpress about a year ago, trims fast and leaves little to no burr to clean up. I'm happy with it, bonus is I can use it with most any bottleneck case if I want to.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020728567?pid=258707

Before that had been using a WFT in a cordless drill, worked OK but required more hand motion to use (both hands) and left a pretty good burr to clean up in another step.
Old January 22, 2021, 12:31 PM   #10
zeke

Good idea to trim your brass as soon as they exceed the max length, or if you have significantly varying lengths in the batch you are loading and want them close to same length. Not all chambers are cut the same. RCBS and others offer carbide cutters. The RCBS 3-way carbide cutter saves a lot of effort, and can be very accurate and precise to cut length. Recently went to a Giraud for larger lots, and it is a HUGE time saver, although with the caveats already mentioned.

A lot may depend on how many cases, how often you want trimmed and budget.
Old January 22, 2021, 01:14 PM   #11
KCRaider21

I use "Worlds Finest Trimmer". It works good.
Old January 22, 2021, 01:34 PM   #12
stinkeypete

If you want accurate target loads, uniform brass is critical.

I could use one of the inexpensive hand trimmers and do hundreds of cases while watching a movie on Netflix. If you want to get in to the business, of course the sell power trimmers or deluxe hand trimmers. Honestly, the Lee trimmer costs something like $12 and is perfectly adequate.
Old January 22, 2021, 01:53 PM   #13
Prof Young

Thanks and . . .

Thanks for all the info and feedback.
I'm going to look into some of these trimmers.
Also, I'm starting to think that, as I am not a long range precision shooter, I don't need to worry much about crimp and if the crimp is or isn't exactly in the "crimp line" on the bullet.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 24, 2021, 10:39 PM   #14
rodfac

Quote:
For consistent case length, just get the Lee case trimmer and adapter "gauge" for 223 and their case holder and mount it all in your drill press and go to town. If you don't have a drill press, you can clamp the cutter in a vice and the stud has a 1/4" hex profile for your drill so you can turn the case rather than the cutter all with power tools. You will, however, still have to chamfer and deburr separately.
Yep, after 50+ years of loading my own, this is the method I've used for at least the last 20. I do have Wilson case holders and a cutter for several rifle calibers but seldom use them any more. The Lee cutter, chucked up in a small drill press is the way to go. YMMv Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 2, 2021, 05:57 PM   #15
Grey_Lion

I am happy with my Lyman case trimmer with the power adapter and a hand drill..... All the power adapter is is a replacement mandrel with the crank handle removed so you can chuck it into a drill. You can usually find used case trimmers online and then buy the power mandrel off the lyman website. Keep oil handy to oil the mandrel more often. I use a fly rod oil dispenser for this.
Old February 2, 2021, 06:07 PM   #16
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
If you want accurate target loads, uniform brass is critical.

I could use one of the inexpensive hand trimmers and do hundreds of cases while watching a movie on Netflix. If you want to get in to the business, of course the sell power trimmers or deluxe hand trimmers. Honestly, the Lee trimmer costs something like $12 and is perfectly adequate.
I'd agree.

I have the Dillon power trimmer for the 650 for .223, .308 and 6.5PCC (since I make my own cases). The rest gets done in the Frankford Arsenal Platinum. Trims, VLD deburr and chamfer and with the other spindle, clean primer pockets or cut them to remove crimps. I have an RCBS and Hornady sitting on the shelf collecting dust, sold my Lee and WFT to guys getting started recently.
Old February 2, 2021, 08:07 PM   #17
cdoc42

I've used my Lyman Universal Power Trimmer since the mid-80's. It locks on the head, not the shoulder. But I think Lyman may have discontinued it and replaced it with another model for $164 or so that registers from the shoulder.

Here's the link: https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...s/brass-smith-

But, as with many reloading prodcuts these days, it is listed as not in stock.
Old February 2, 2021, 08:23 PM   #18
bjm42

I have consistent results with Frankford Arsenal Case Trim & Prep Center. Fast & accurate, worth checking out.
It does index on the shoulder, if that matters.
Old February 4, 2021, 01:41 PM   #19
totaldla

My old Wilson is very accurate. But my WCT* is very fast. And when I'm staring at a big bag of range pickup 223, I go for the WCT.
I don't know the effect of case length on accuracy, and if I crimp I use the Lee FCD which is not affected by case length.

*World's Cheapest Trimmer