The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 21, 2016, 12:40 PM   #1
Mwhittington

HI STANDARD Model HB .22 LR

My father in law passed away and left us a High Standard model HB .22LR.

When we go shoot it we have to pull the slide every time. It is like there is something wrong with the spring.

The magazine holds 10 rounds I believe but after every shot we have to pop out a shell and pull the slide so I know this isn't normal.

We really would like to get this repaired asap. I tried my local gun repair shop but they couldn't do anything.

Does this problem sound normal and if not are there any online repair shops that I might contact that could help resolve the issue?

Thanks
Old November 21, 2016, 01:46 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

No, the Model H-B is a semi-auto or self-loading pistol. The "H" indicates that is is an exposed hammer model, the "B" that it is the second in that series.. (The "H-A" was the first gun in the series, a rare light barrel model.) The original High Standard Company has been out of business aince the mid-1980's.

The H-B was introduced in May, 1940 at serial number 52405 and around 2100 were made. (Serial numbers make production seem higher, because High Standard numbered all its guns in the same series.) It was discontinued but then re-introduced in 1949, and another 25,000 guns were made.

The gun should have a slide return spring. If the the gun was disassembled incorrectly, the spring could have been badly kinked and its repair was impossible. Frequently, an owner faced with that situation would simply remove the spring and operate the gun manually as you have done.

I am not sure about the current availability of parts for that gun, but you might need the retracting rod, retracting rod spring, retracting rod plug, and plug pin. Other parts may be needed also, so the gun should be checked out by a competent gunsmith before fring it any more. The new High Standard company in Texas (Google for the details) does some limited production of the old models and may be able to help.

Jim
Old November 21, 2016, 02:26 PM   #3
tangolima

It is direct blowback action. Without the slide return spring, after each shot the slide still opens, extracting and ejecting the spent casing. It just doesn't return to battery with a fresh round chembered.

It doesn't sound like what is happening with the op's pistol. Gun fired and slide remained closed. He had to yank the slide back to extract and eject. Not sure whether he had to push the slide back to rechamber.

-TL
Old November 21, 2016, 03:06 PM   #4
Buzzard Bait

Nice find

Well I would start by cleaning lubing and inspecting.
It's an old gun the oil and cleaning fluids could have turned to something more like varnish. Also I believe it was made for standard velocity amo only ,,also it could be some how incorrectly assembled those are fine old guns, I would think it would be worth having a qualified gun smith give it a look
bb
Old November 21, 2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Jim Watson

If the takedown lever was not in the right position when the gun was dismantled, all sorts of bad things happen when you put it back together.
Maybe somebody on Rimfire Central knows how to get it back to where it started.
Old November 22, 2016, 06:17 PM   #6
Boncrayon

HI STANDARD Model HB .22 LR

Clean the chamber and loader from oil, gun powder and grime. A full take down or full cleaning, especially the bore would be advisable. Also, most every .22LR likes certain ammo. Switch to other national brands to see their ability to load, fire and eject repeatedly. Looks like you have a good firearm with a need of cleaning to me.

I have a .22LR Sportking handgun with a ramp into the chamber. It would not take a "R", but would take any other national brand. Think it is the up ramp and the softness of the casing.
Old November 22, 2016, 06:41 PM   #7
ammo.crafter

FTL

What type of ammunition are you firing in this gun?

There are many types of .22s on the market that have different velocities, etc.

Perhaps you are using a "quiet" of low velocity round that cannot activate the slide rearward.

Good luck.
Old November 22, 2016, 09:09 PM   #8
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

First, I would give it a thorough cleaning. Second, I would check to see if it has been dry fired, and the firing pin has buggered up the chamber opening, by putting a dent into it. Next, inspect the chamber, and see if they have been firing a lot of shorts, which may have burnt a ring in the chamber. If it has a ring, the brass will swell in the ring when fired. Last, check for a bent recoil spring. All these things can cause it not to eject, but I would try cleaning it first.

Tags
.22 , hi standard , high standard