The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 1, 2015, 12:55 PM   #26
henschman

Meh, I haven't seen any decent prices on ARs at a gun show in a long time anyway. All the best deals are online... though there is definitely some appeal to getting to put your hands on it before you buy, and the possibility of finding one in a private transaction with no gov't paper trail, if you really want to be a rebel! lol.

As for getting the 5.56 vs. sticking with .22, I say get the 5.56. IMO everyone who cares about liberty should own at least one good fighting rifle for Second Amendment purposes, and know how to use it. Think of it is way... if you were in a gunfight, would you rather have the .22, or the 5.56? A basic mil spec AR-15 makes a great "2A purpose" rifle, and there is nothing better for home defense. Looks like right now most of the complete rifles I would recommend are out of stock. However, complete lowers have never been cheaper. Here's an idea: this http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ark-earth-blem

Plus this: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html

Plus this: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-158-bolt.html

Plus this: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html

And you woul have a great rifle with some very simple assembly (nothing that you wouldn't have to do to clean it), and you would save a lot of money over buying a complete rifle.
Old February 1, 2015, 01:14 PM   #27
rickyrick

Yes, gun shows are the worst place to pick up guns
Old February 1, 2015, 02:43 PM   #28
MasterKaishakunin

Henschman,

You sent a couple of links endorsing what I've heard before on this thread and elsewhere-build your own AR! The prospect has sent my little eyes sparkling with delight! What a complete sense of accomplishment and astonishment that i could put it together and somehow not have it explode in my arms and first shot.

This may change the shape of the thread, but how many of you have built your own rifle with shot in the dark bits and pieces and didn't spend a lot of money later correcting your if any, "mistakes"? What are the odds that i hate my lower receiver or rue the day I got an aluminium so and so instead of a steel blah blah blah. Oh! And then there's the 1:7, 1:9 twist business

I've heard Del Ton sell good basic rifle kits. Are the links all that is needed for the gun to come together (sans the magazine)?

Sorry about all the stupid questions but if there is one thing i have learned from being a new shooter, is that most people (and in my experience all) are willing to help.
Old February 1, 2015, 02:58 PM   #29
henschman

The parts I posted wouldn't involve what I would call "building"... more like "assembly." All you would have to do with those parts would be to slide the charging handle into the upper, slide the bolt carrier group in, put the upper on the lower and push two pins into place, and you have a complete rifle. No tools required, no assembly of little parts, springs, etc. or anything. Like I said, it would basically be the same thing you will do every time you take the rifle apart to clean it. Watching a YouTube video on how to strip an AR-15 would tell you everything you need to know to do that assembly.

If you build a rifle from a stripped lower receiver and a parts kit, like that Del-Ton kit, it involves more work and some tools. It's nothing a halfway mechanically inclined person couldn't do in an afternoon with a good set of instructions or a YouTube tutorial, but what I was suggesting (complete lower plus barreled upper plus bolt carrier group and charging handle) would be a lot easier. And building from parts isn't really going to be any cheaper, with the prices being what they are right now.

Yes, I've put together several rifles that I was completely satisfied with. I will sometimes make a little tweak here or there, like upgrading to a stock I like better, installing a free float handguard, etc., but as long as you start with solid, quality basic rifle, the details like furniture, sights, optics, etc. can be changed out easily as you figure out what your preferences are. As far as regretting your choices, Id say you might regret it if you went with low end stuff, like a plastic lower, or maybe even that Del-Ton kit that cuts some corners, but I don't think you would ever regret getting a basic mil-spec type rifle like that Palmetto would be.

Last edited by henschman; February 1, 2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old February 1, 2015, 02:58 PM   #30
rickyrick

If you get a completed upper, the lower is pretty easy to put together.

Tags
.22 , .223/5.56 , ar-15 confusion , sw mp15-22