The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 29, 2013, 06:31 PM   #1
ColColt

Weaver Bore Sighter

I bought one of those Weaver Magnetic Bore Sight tools recently and have determined it's worthless. I put it on the muzzle just like the instructions said, between the two screws and centered it left and right and looked thought my scope and didn't see a thing. You're suppose to see cross hairs as you can see them in the Bore Sight. I moved it up and down, left and right half a dozen times and still couldn't find the cross hairs.

Anyone have any better luck with this tool?

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 30, 2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: language
Old October 29, 2013, 09:45 PM   #2
jmr40

No tool will ever made will save you even 1 shot in zeroing a rifle if you know how to do it. With a bolt rifle I'm perfectly zeroed @ 100 yards in 3 shots. A lever or semi that does not allow me to see through the bore MIGHT take 1 more shot.
Old October 29, 2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Sierra280

Big +1 to jmr40

Sighted in a rifle last week (got a new scope base). Pulled the bolt, looked through the bore (hence bore sighting), then scope, checked, rechecked. 25yds and first one was on the paper, adjusted scope, then fired one more, adjusted.

Then went out to 100yds and put a group about 1.5inches from POA.
Old October 30, 2013, 09:30 AM   #4
ColColt

I understand bore sighting. I'm simply trying to figure why this $35 tool is not working as designed and what or if I'm doing something wrong. Following the instructions to the letter is not producing results.
Old October 30, 2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Pahoo

There are limits !!!

Okay, first off, I own three collimators and I once checked the same scope set-up, with all three of which, none agreed, completely. I pretty much expect the elevation to be off but sure would like the windage to be in. .....

Don't know if it will make a difference, in your case but I once encountered what you have described. This scope was a variable and I had the magnification, set too high. Turned it down to min, in order to see the matrix. Wish I could remember more details. .....

My first pass on bolt-action rifles, is removing the bolt, anchoring the rifle and looking through the bore and onto my target that I have set-up, 18Yds. away. I have a small back yard. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 30, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6
ColColt

I think the problem with mine is the magnification is too high for the bore slighter. It's a Weaver target scope at 36X and is fixed. I may have to resort to the old way of bore sighting. Wish they had told me this early on.
Old October 30, 2013, 01:02 PM   #7
geetarman

I know a lot of people on the board do not like them. They have their own reasons.

On the other hand, I have used a laser boresighter a lot. I have a number of scopes in QD rings set up for picatinny rails. I move the scopes from rifle to rifle from time to time.

It is a piece of cake to put the tool in the bore and bore sight the rifle in a couple of minutes or less. When I go to the range, my first shot is almost always very close and a little tweaking is all I need to finish up.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 30, 2013, 01:10 PM   #8
ColColt

I wasn't sure which one to get as I had never bought one before and this one seemed easy/cheap enough. Lessons learned.