The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 10, 2000, 02:05 PM   #1
AEM

The hammer on the S&W Chief's Special snags on everything, but I really don't want to bob the hammer. Does anyone make a hammer that allows safe hammer cocking but has a low-snag profile? I remember a company called Final Options which furnished a neat looking burr hammer, like the Walther PPK or Colt Commander, but they are apparently out of business.

I wonder how a Bodyguard hammer would work in a Chiefs Special?

Old October 11, 2000, 06:03 PM   #2
Grayfox

One trick you can try is to practice drawing with your thumb against the hammer spur. As soon as the gun is clear, simply drop the thumb to normal shooting position. The thumb works like a ramp to prevent snagging. Safe, simple and with a bit of practice just as fast as any other draw.

------------------
Since light travels faster than sound, isn't it logical that some people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Old October 11, 2000, 08:57 PM   #3
Daniel Watters

You can slightly shorten the checkered spur, and then dehorn the remainder. This goes a long way in keeping the spur from snagging while retaining the ability to thumb-cock for a SA shot.

As a more radical solution, I've heard of folks installing the hammer from a S&W Bodyguard.
Old October 12, 2000, 09:59 AM   #4
AEM

Thanks for the replies.

After I posted in this forum, I thought it might be more appropriate in "The Smithy," so I posted there also. One of the gentlemen who replied mentioned that the Bodyguard hammer also has a hook that looks like it would snag. I'm curious now to see what a Bodyguard hammer looks like in profile.

Another option mentioned was the Waller bolt-on hammer shroud, but I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling and tapping the frame.

Maybe a slight shortening of the spur is the best option, along with the technigue suggested by Grayfox.

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by AEM (edited October 12, 2000).]