The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 8, 2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Polynikes

Wife's near draw experience

The following incident occurred yesterday afternoon to Mrs. Polynikes while shopping at a local Wal-Mart. She had parked at the North edge of the parking lot and had just finished doing some shopping with our two youngins,' ages three and one. She had parked her vehicle with the driver side facing the back, empty corner of the parking lot and the passenger side towards the building. After loading the kids in to the car and then placing the groceries on the passenger seat, Mrs. Polynikes walked around the back of the car to get in on the driver's side. It is here that our scenario begins...

As Mrs. Polynikes rounds the back corner of the vehicle she sees a young woman approaching from the empty corner of the parking lot, where there had not been anyone a moment ago. The woman is headed straight for Mrs. Polynikes. She's not carrying a purse or any bags that would indicate she had been shopping or intended to shop, but she does have her right hand tucked underneath the blue down vest she's wearing, with her left hand holding the edge of the vest closed. Mental alarms begin to sound as Mrs. Polynikes realizes that a black sedan with a male driver has pulled up to a stop nearby and also he is also focusing his attention on Mrs. Polynikes. The woman is still coming fast, hand inside the down vest. Mrs. Polynikes uses the purse on her left shoulder to shield her movement as she slides her hand under her shirt to the grip of her Bodyguard .38 in a Flashbang holster. At the angle the woman is approaching from there is no way that she could have seen this action and she keeps coming, now only about 20 feet away. Mrs. Polynikes prepares to give a verbal warning, when suddenly the male in the car calls out to the approaching woman,

"Yo, she's not one to *explicative* with."

From the angle he was keeping watch from, the driver of the black sedan apparently caught the subtle motion of Mrs. Polynikes as she reached for her handgun. The woman, hearing the warning, abruptly changes direction and jumps in the back of the black sedan and the pair speeds off. Mrs. Polynikes quickly gets in her own vehicle and exits the parking lot.

From the careful positioning of the two people, one approaching and the other on lookout, as well as the quick bug-out without hesitating it appears that this may have been something practiced before. The bottom line here seems to be that situational awareness carried the day, and what could have been a bad situation ended with all my loved ones safe.
Old September 8, 2011, 03:42 PM   #2
jimbob86

All's well that ends well!
Old September 8, 2011, 03:44 PM   #3
CWKahrFan

Good recount... Thanks for telling.
+1 for CCW!
Old September 8, 2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Stressfire

I think Mrs. Polynikes deserves a prize for some well executed SA and reaction to threat. I hope you plan to buy her dinner.

On a critical note, why did she not just get into the car that the kids were already loaded up in and get the heck out of there?
Old September 8, 2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Skadoosh

....so did Mrs Polynikes call the POLICE and make a report???

The police could check with Walmart's security video surveillance for an ID of the car and perhaps a licenses plate number.
Old September 8, 2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Polynikes

Stressfire, the way I understand it, at the angle the other woman was approaching from, Mrs. Polynikes would have had to travel towards her and close the distance in order to reach the driver side door. She was standing at the rear of the vehicle (and it's a good sized SUV)
Old September 8, 2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Stressfire

Quote:
The police could check with Walmart's security video surveillance for an ID of the car and perhaps a licenses plate number.
Indeed, just thought of it after reading Skadoosh's post, but this would appear to be something that has been "perfected."

Might have been a robbery or attempted carjacking...could have also been after the kids

Quote:
and it's a good sized SUV
Ah, I get ya now. Although, big SUV? The better to run your butt down with
Old September 8, 2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Superdave70_02

Glad everything worked out for your family.
Old September 8, 2011, 04:30 PM   #9
markj

So were the police alerted? wal mart security if there is any alerted? What town was this in? Mighty brave criminals these days.
Old September 8, 2011, 04:36 PM   #10
armoredman

Well done. Buy her something nice.
Old September 8, 2011, 04:40 PM   #11
threegun

She did great but I am going to offer some future suggestions.

Verbal engagment sooner that 20ft. If she is sure she is the target. If the threat continues demand they stop. If they continue simply shout (don't rob me go away) only begin to fall back to some cover at the same time. This gets you closer to cover and maintains some seperation. If they don't stop after demands to do so its time to draw and if that does work its the big BANG

I'm glad it ended well.
Old September 8, 2011, 04:49 PM   #12
AH.74

Good for her!

Those scumbags deserve bad things to happen to them.
Old September 8, 2011, 06:15 PM   #13
Microgunner

I'm glad the misses has taken responsibility for herself and y'all's young'uns.
Give her my congratulations please.
Old September 8, 2011, 06:17 PM   #14
Slotback

Excellent work by the Mrs.
Old September 8, 2011, 06:56 PM   #15
robmkivseries70

Well done!
Old September 9, 2011, 07:41 AM   #16
output

Polynikes,

I am glad to hear that your wife was not harmed. I hope she called the police and made a report on the incident.
Old September 9, 2011, 08:32 AM   #17
Ringolevio

Your wife was EXTRA aware!

Kudos to your wife for not only having the SA to be aware of (and prepared to deal with) the approaching threat, but for having the extra SA to spot the accomplice!

This is the biggest mistake most of us would make: focusing on the most obvious threat to the exclusion of everything else around ("tunnel vision").

We should strive to always have 360ยบ awareness, but especially when we are being approached in a manner that makes us think we are about to be "interviewed" ("cased") as a prelude to being victimized.

As a teenager on the streets of NYC, there was always the possibility of getting "jumped" (this was even before the word "mugged" came into use). I learned, when approached by a stranger, to immediately look around to see if he had a partner. But even a half-century later I have to force myself to remember to take that precaution.

Last edited by Ringolevio; September 9, 2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: grammar
Old September 9, 2011, 10:43 AM   #18
Polynikes

Mrs. Polynikes says "Thank you" for all the encouraging responses so far. As far as contacting the police, she has not done so as of yet. She had a bad experience several years ago when trying to report a different incident (road raging driver trying to run her off the road) and the officer she spoke to basically made it seem as though she was wasting their time by even making the report. They didn't even bother to fill out any official paperwork to document the incident. She's a little "shy" about putting herself through that again, with the limited information she has about this recent encounter.

Last edited by Polynikes; September 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old September 9, 2011, 10:56 AM   #19
Microgunner

She's not alone. Most crimes of this sort that don't come to fruition are never reported, or so I've been led to believe.
A lot of hassle for zero results.
Old September 9, 2011, 11:13 AM   #20
aarondhgraham

A slightly off-topic question,,,

How does your wife like her FlashBang holster,,,
My lady friend has ordered one but it hasn't arrived yet.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 9, 2011, 11:13 AM   #21
Ronbert

It's somewhat understandable that the police get weary of reports that they can't act on.

If a license plate number could have been collected at the time it would be worth making the report so there's something really concrete to work with.
Chances are pretty good that this pair has done bad things before and after this incident and may already have warrants outstanding. And this report would give them cause to stop and interrogate the driver.

Then again, maybe the road rage incident had a plate associated and they still didn't act.

Was still a good reaction in a potentially bad situation.
Old September 9, 2011, 12:17 PM   #22
NWPilgrim

It might be worth reporting in case the police already have reports of holdups at the WalMart or similar locations and modus operandi. Crooks don't get that organized without practice and I doubt they do dry run practice.

I wonder if where she parked is out of visual range of the store's security cameras. IF the thugs are that well drilled then they likely chose an area of least surveillance, too.

Fantastic situational awareness and keeping her cool!
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 9, 2011, 12:31 PM   #23
Skadoosh

Quote:
It's somewhat understandable that the police get weary of reports that they can't act on.
Says who? The police??

No, they do NOT get weary of these reports. The police chain of command does actually use all reports to glean an insight of where they need to re-deploy their cruisers, bicycle and foot patrols day by day...even hour by hour. It is a widespread lack of understanding such as this which leads the public's under-reporting of serious incidents such as the one described by the OP which in turn leads to the police being handicapped by the public.
Old September 9, 2011, 12:35 PM   #24
Polynikes

Skadoosh, I'd tend to agree with your analysis, but it ain't my call to make.
Old September 9, 2011, 12:39 PM   #25
Onward Allusion

Dang! Close call. Glad your Mrs. has SA down. Good job!