The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 27, 2018, 07:38 PM   #1
usr1987

Revolver and Lever action in .357 wise choice?

Is a Red Hawk and a lever action in .357 a wise choice? I like the Red Hawk for the capacity, but not sure what lever action should I get in .357. The Henry seems great but I would prefer the authentic side loading gate.
Old December 27, 2018, 07:41 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

An EXTREMELY wise choice.
Redhawk will be heavy, but you'll never wear it out.

Marlin's .357s are back, and quality has generally returned.
Henry is good quality, but heavy in brass. Steel's a bit lighter. Typically quite accurate.
Rossi's cheaper, but do-able, if you can find one.
Denis
Old December 27, 2018, 08:15 PM   #3
usr1987

I was all 9mm, but in CA they might ban all semi, so I want to not get my stuff confiscated!
Old December 27, 2018, 09:21 PM   #4
Cosmodragoon

Having a revolver and lever action in the same caliber can be conveniently simple. Lever guns are fun in general and do get more power out of the magnum pistol rounds. I have a family member who has taken at least a dozen deer (at reasonable distances) with a Henry lever action in .357 magnum.

The Redhawk is an excellent revolver in my experience but do understand that it is very big and very heavy. It would really be pushing the envelope if you were thinking about concealed carry! You might want to think about a GP100 or 686. Both are now available in seven-shot models and either can be pretty handy with a 4" barrel. Another way to approach this is as a trio with a lever gun, large revolver, and small revolver. Then you could go big with a longer-barrelled Redhawk, GP100, or 686; and then have a smaller revolver for concealed carry such as an SP101 or K-frame. You could go smaller and lighter with an alloy J-frame or LCR but .357 magnum can be brutal to shoot in those. (Many people remedy that with .38 special, which can be safely fired from guns chambered for .357 magnum.)

Even if California's government wasn't insane, this wouldn't be a bad investment. A good revolver and lever gun combo can offer a lifetime worth of enjoyment. The smaller revolvers can make great CCW/EDC choices even in states without capacity restrictions.
Old December 27, 2018, 09:34 PM   #5
Targa

I can’t think of a better combination. Stock up on ammo as well before you have to get a background check to buy it.
As for the rifle, Marlin, Henry (if you don’t mind a tube fed), Winchester, Rossi ( like Dpris said, if you can find one) should serve you well.
Now if it were my money, I am getting a Uberti, color case hardened 1873 replica with an octagon barrel....
Old December 27, 2018, 10:24 PM   #6
Eddietruett

Only disadvantage to the Henry is they don't feed .38 special very well. A buddy of mine has a new stainless Marlin and he is in love. I hope to give it a try soon and may be adding one of my own.
Old December 27, 2018, 10:30 PM   #7
TBM900

An excellent combo all on their own, and given our current direction (the destruction of 2A) its a wise choice as well.

I would choose a GP100 over the Redhawk, because frankly the latter is a hulking monster, plus the GP grip options are superior and more numerous (same for holsters).
To me the two extra rounds are not in any way worth it, it is a nice gun, just a beast.

Revolver & lever gun is an outstanding combo with a ton of flexibility, 38 Special or 357 Magnum, powderpuff to monster loads, and everything in between. 38's are wonderfully proven and effective at typical self-defense distances, and an LG will easily take care of things to 100 with irons.

Don't get caught up in the loading gate aspect, there are pros/cons to both gates and tube fed. Gates can actually be quite fiddly (even for pros) as well as ammo sensitive, plus the chances of ever needing to 'top off' in the real world are worse than the chances of winning the lotto. Tube fed are super easy lo load and FAR safer to unload than a gate, also less chances for fouling. I would be happy with either.

Me personally, I love the 1894 for several reasons, not the least of which is availability in stainless, same for the GP as mentioned above. If I had to whittle down to two guns, it would likely be a SS 3" GP100 and an 1894CSS.

PS, if you add in the dynamic of reloading, the combo elevates several levels, all positive.
Old December 27, 2018, 10:34 PM   #8
Buckeye!

I had a older Rossi 92 .. with a 16 inch barrel for years ... I had to let it go with several other long guns to pay hospital bills .. But I still own its side kick ,, A Ruger Security Six stainless steel with a 4 inch barrel ...
Old December 27, 2018, 10:40 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I would prefer the authentic side loading gate.
For that reason I would be giving up the extra round, and going with a Blackhawk, Vaquero, or one of the Uberti SAA copies.
But then again, I would have them in "authentic" 45 Colt. However in my case they also wouldn't be for home defense or carry. Just some cowboy nostalgia.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 27, 2018, 11:27 PM   #10
PatientWolf

I think you’d be very well served with that combination.
Old December 28, 2018, 02:03 AM   #11
usr1987

I want a more substantial revolver. The GP100 with a long barrel seems light when shooting 357. Oh, and just realized Ruger makes bolt action 357, might get that over the lever action.
Old December 28, 2018, 02:14 AM   #12
10-96

I would lean towards a Marlin, I think. I have a Winchester 94 Trapper in .357. I love the thing, and it shoots better than it has a right to. Where the love affair went afoul was when I started reading the innerwebs. It seems there's a problem with some of them wearing down a cartridge stop. This thing is built into the bolt or something and not considered readily repairable or replaceable. Mine hasn't given me any problems yet, but I just don't want to be the one to wear it out and have it fail.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 28, 2018, 05:04 AM   #13
TBM900

Quote:
For that reason I would be giving up the extra round, and going with a Blackhawk, Vaquero, or one of the Uberti SAA copies.
But then again, I would have them in "authentic" 45 Colt. However in my case they also wouldn't be for home defense or carry. Just some cowboy nostalgia.
In context it appears the OP is referring to the gate on the lever action.
Old December 28, 2018, 05:12 AM   #14
TruthTellers

The Redhawk is a brick, it was built for .44 Mag/Hot .45 Colt and those calibers are meant for large dangerous animals. The GP100 was built for .357 and is much easier to carry for social work. The Redhawk was never meant to be a daily carry gun.

A Lever action in .357 is a fine rifle and if you can find one that feeds .38 pretty well, it's a good option for cheap plinking. Henry makes good lever actions, I have their .327 Big Boy, but if you're gonna buy a lever action, I feel a loading gate is mandatory.

And IDK anybody that makes a lever rifle with a loading gate for under $1000 other than Rossi, but I believe they've stopped making lever actions.

So, if you really want a lever action w/ a gate, make sure it's the one you want. If I had to pay $1000 for a lever action, I would probably go .44 or .45 because those are more than capable for dropping any animal in North America.
Old December 28, 2018, 05:41 AM   #15
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by usr1987 View Post
I want a more substantial revolver. The GP100 with a long barrel seems light when shooting 357. Oh, and just realized Ruger makes bolt action 357, might get that over the lever action.
The GP is already quite ‘substantial’ on its own, built like a tank and tames recoil nicely.

The RH is massive in comparison both in its bulk as well as weight, with a 4” model weighing over 3 pounds. I would highly suggest handling them both side by side as most truly underestimate how impractical the RH is for typical use. Also, if your thoughts are that the RH’s weight will help with recoil....kind of but not really, as the RH exposed backstrap and grip angle/location make the felt recoil and ‘snap’ worse IMO.

Again it’s a nice gun, but I look at it more as a novelty.
This coming from a guy who routinely carries a Coonan 357.

Yes Ruger makes the 77/357. As I mentioned above I love the Marlin 1894, but never sure if they would be brought back I was always paranoid about fielding them. So when Ruger brought out the 77/357 it quickly became my all around beater gun, most of my hunting is done with one as I’m not worried about banging it around in the field.

What is your intended use?
Old December 28, 2018, 05:48 AM   #16
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
The Redhawk is a brick, it was built for .44 Mag/Hot .45 Colt and those calibers are meant for large dangerous animals. The GP100 was built for .357 and is much easier to carry for social work. The Redhawk was never meant to be a daily carry gun.

A Lever action in .357 is a fine rifle and if you can find one that feeds .38 pretty well, it's a good option for cheap plinking. Henry makes good lever actions, I have their .327 Big Boy, but if you're gonna buy a lever action, I feel a loading gate is mandatory.

And IDK anybody that makes a lever rifle with a loading gate for under $1000 other than Rossi, but I believe they've stopped making lever actions.

So, if you really want a lever action w/ a gate, make sure it's the one you want. If I had to pay $1000 for a lever action, I would probably go .44 or .45 because those are more than capable for dropping any animal in North America.
Curious as to why you feel a gate is mandatory...

I personally think they are overrated (and I love 1894’s)

Also, the reintroduced 1894’s are available for well under $1000. I can’t speak for the new ones but my pre-remlins all feed 38 Special perfectly.
Old December 28, 2018, 07:20 AM   #17
Nanuk

Quote:
I have a Winchester 94 Trapper in .357. I love the thing, and it shoots better than it has a right to. Where the love affair went afoul was when I started reading the innerwebs.

There were never problems with many guns until the internet.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 28, 2018, 07:45 AM   #18
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddietruett View Post
Only disadvantage to the Henry is they don't feed .38 special very well. A buddy of mine has a new stainless Marlin and he is in love. I hope to give it a try soon and may be adding one of my own.
I guess YMMV..My son has a Henry BigBoy and it feeds 38/357 w/o issue or problem.

Kinda heavy but very accurate.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 28, 2018, 08:38 AM   #19
rodfac

I guess it depends on what use you'll make of the combination.

If a DA revolver is one of your goals, then I'd recommend a used Smith Model 19, 66, or 686 over the Redhawk...but beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder and I find Ruger DA revolvers clunky looking when compared to any Smith...YMMV however. Weight is a factor and I'd always go with a handgun that can be carried conveniently, and Smith's are generally a bit lighter than Ruger RH's. They (Smiths) also have a better adj. sight in my opinion. As far as strength goes, unless you're a heavier user of full house magnums over years of steady use and that with 125 gr or lighter bullets, any Smith will stand-up to ordinary usage and give you a lifetime of service. My pair of 19's, 2 model 60's, & a model 27, have several thousand rounds each with zero degradation of accuracy and tight lockup. In my opinion if there's a better, more useful .357 than the model 19, and of moderate weight, I've yet to find it...PS: all Smiths hold their value well.

If a SA is acceptable, there's no better choice than a Ruger BH (NM, Old Model, or Flat Top, they're all superb)...strong, & accurate, with adj. sights that make sighting in an easy & precision process. And those same adj. sights are plenty strong for enough for real day to day use, short of pulling fence staples! In 50+ years of using them, I've never had a problem with Ruger adj. sights...can't say that for the fixed variety.

For the carbine, I'd go with a Marlin...I prefer the JM Marlins over the current crop of Remingtons and you can find one with light to moderate wear that'll be a joy over the years. The Henry's, while hell-for-strong, are a bit heavier, especially in the brass models, but are a valid choice if that appeals to you. You can find a used JM Marlin for the same or less $ than the new Henrys, now that the "buy a Marlin 1894S hysteria" is pretty much over. Ck. gun-broker for current prices.

HTH's and hope too that you enjoy your guns. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; December 28, 2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old December 28, 2018, 08:57 AM   #20
223 shooter

Quote:
Is a Red Hawk and a lever action in .357 a wise choice? I like the Red Hawk for the capacity, but not sure what lever action should I get in .357. The Henry seems great but I would prefer the authentic side loading gate.
I picked up a used Marlin 357 and few years ago and not long after added a Henry Big Boy Silver. After using the Henry it doesn't bother me to have the 22lr style loading tube. And the accuracy is better with the entire range of bullet weights compared to the Marlin.

Also have various 357 revolvers - the Redhawk or any of the above mentioned would be a great companion to a Marlin or Henry lever action.
Old December 28, 2018, 10:35 AM   #21
lamarw

The combo I have is in .45 Colt. I was torn between the .357 Magnum and the .45 Colt. The combo is a S&W Model 25 Mountain Gun and a Henry Carbine with the big loop. They are an attractive combination.

The attached picture does not do them justice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Henry45Colt1.jpg (138.9 KB, 85 views)
Old December 28, 2018, 12:35 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The GP100 with a long barrel seems light when shooting 357
First time I have heard the GP100 referred to as "light"!
It's a tank, and the Redhawk is a bigger tank.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 28, 2018, 04:55 PM   #23
usr1987

rodfac: most SW i looked at had canted barrel. Since its CA, you do not actually check out the gun you guy, it comes from a warehouse with the serial assigned to you in most cases.

lamarw: I find the 45s heavy and cost a lot to shot.

Cheapshooter: I know its weird to say so, I am not a big guy, but I found out I shoot better beefy heavy guns than even plastic/short barrel.

I would want something in 9mm since is less than 18c to shoot, but not many are fun without moonclips, and I do not want to use that.
Old December 28, 2018, 05:49 PM   #24
357 Python

Not bad at all. I have been considering pairing my 44 Magnum Ruger Vaquero with a 44 Magnum lever gun but haven't decided which lever gun to get yet. I am leaning to one of the Henrys.
Old December 28, 2018, 06:00 PM   #25
Targa

Here is a link to a Rossi .357, if it is new in box the price is not bad http://www.armslist.com/posts/923214...8-special--500