The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 4, 2001, 09:56 AM   #1
Pave Pilot

I have a shot at a pristine C96 Broomhandle, (it ought to be, unfortunately, at some point it was refinished).
It's a mil gun, 1920's "9mm Mauser" chamber, not 9x19 para. No pitting,crisp original barrel and original grips (VG+).

They want $575.

I have several "collector grade Lugers, plus my few "shooters". I can get ballpark figures on the Lugers, from books and web sites, but haven't had much luck getting the same on Broomhandles...

Please, no flames or "unless you're an expert you shouldn't buy one" replies...

Ideas? Thought? Thanks!

[Edited by Pave Pilot on 03-09-2001 at 07:05 AM]
Old March 4, 2001, 10:01 AM   #2
Pave Pilot

Moderators.....I'm sorry, I should have put this in H.Nolden....Could you move it please?
Old March 4, 2001, 10:29 AM   #3
Kenneth L. Walters

Sounds like a reasonable price to me.
Old March 4, 2001, 02:42 PM   #4
radom

The 9mm mauser "export" caliber is not that common. Sounds like a great deal to me if its in any kind of decent condition. 9mm mauser uses a case that is about the same length as the 7.62 cal. A hotter load and a longer case.
Old March 4, 2001, 07:45 PM   #5
beemerb

Should be able to shorten 9mm win mag cases to make 9 mauser rounds.
Old March 4, 2001, 08:20 PM   #6
Hard Ball

Even refinnished that is a very good price for a C96 chambered for the 9mm Mauser cartridge.
Old March 4, 2001, 09:35 PM   #7
johnwill

I'd closely inspect the gun if it's going to be a shooter. One very common failure point on this gun is the bolt stop slot will be seriously peened or cracked. If this area is cracked, replacement of the barrel/barrel extension, probably the most expensive part of the gun. The cracks can be quite small, so careful examination with a magnifying glass is called for.

Old March 5, 2001, 06:29 AM   #8
Pave Pilot

Thanks, I'll check the stop area.
Old March 5, 2001, 09:31 AM   #9
Pilot

If the gun is in the shape you describe and does not exhibit the wear points already addressed, I think that's a fair price. I have a C-96 in 9MM Luger and it was $475 in refinished condtion about 5 years ago. Interesting guns these Broomhandles.

Pilot
(fixed wing not rotor)
Old March 6, 2001, 07:49 PM   #10
Ken DROVER

SOUNDS LIKE A VERY REASONABLE PRICE FOR A BROOMHANDLE IN 9MM EXPRESS ESPECIALLY IF IT HAS A GOOD BARREL. THERE IS A BEAUTY TO GETTING IT REFINISHED IN THAT YOU CAN SHHOT IT. REFINISHED MEANS YOU CAN DO THAT. CHECK OUT A CARTRIDGE CONVERSION BOOK FOR MAKING YOUR BRASS. THAT IS A VERY GOOD PRICE.
Old March 7, 2001, 09:29 AM   #11
Strayhorn

Before I bought my Broomhandle (selected from a crate full at InterOrdinance here in NC) I carefully read the Broomhandle FAQ written by Kiere:

http://www.recguns.com/IIIC2m1.html

Loads of info here and it helped me select a gun that was a fit candidate for restoration.

If you need parts or accessories, try Mentor Arms in Mentor, Ohio (sorry, don't have the number but it should be easy to find with a search engine).

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
Old March 9, 2001, 07:02 AM   #12
Pave Pilot

Picked it up yesterday...barrel is mucho crisp and even small bits of mechanism have matching SN! It is 9 x 25mm. I think whoever had it ran out of ammo quicky and kept it around as a novelty. I bought it from a gun store owner buddy who brought a 6-piece "collection" back from N. Georgia.

His store-owner friend bought them about 15 years ago...they laid around as there is no market in his neck of the woods.People there want shooters, not keepers.

The others are 7.63 and 9mm, all matching, all in 90%+.
I got the pick of the litter (I think). I haven't seen a ref. that didn't have "rare, or very rare" . It's an interesting addition.

Thanks for the inputs.
Old March 13, 2001, 07:31 AM   #13
Pave Pilot

Does anybody know anyplace that will make me up some 9x25?
(tried everywhere I can find, even Old West Scrounger)