The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 7, 2013, 04:43 AM   #1
Ignition Override

What is Yugo 8mm Mauser ammo selling for these days?

Just curious, even though my ammo is not for sale.
I don't use it, but the ammo will only go up in the mid/long-term, even After the panic cools off. Maybe my son will be bitten by the gun bug one day....

All buying panics cool off. Some eastern Euro countries might not have much milsurp ammo left.
As a moderator reminded people in another topic, some European tax money is spent on some countries' destruction of both surplus rifles and ammo.

A guy walked into a gun shop in South Africa within the last few years and saw staff destroying both Lee-Enfield and Bren rifles.
Imagine how easy it is to burn up ammo.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:25 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

Quote:
What is Yugo 8mm Mauser ammo selling for these days?
.40-.50 a round for the good stuff. The dud-o-matic rounds are cheaper but pointless. Two-three years ago it was 6-7 cents a round in tins.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

been ramping up to load... had dies for a while, started collecting brass before all the hype... yesterday a buddy sold me ( cheap ) 120 more, new ( old stock ) Herters cases still in original boxes... I have "some" bullets to play with, but am now waiting for things to calm down a bit, so I can get some more bullets, before I start filling cases...

my 8 X 57's are a pair of Czech sporterized rifles... both have deep rifling, & should shoot nice ( except for that 8mm kick )
Old March 7, 2013, 11:34 AM   #4
emcon5

Aside from the odd gunbroker auction, does anyone still have Yugo 8mm?

Quote:
The dud-o-matic rounds are cheaper but pointless.
You are, I assume, talking about the 1950's vintage stuff.

They are not duds, but hard primers. Usually a second hit makes them fire. This is also fixable with a $8 mainspring.
Old March 8, 2013, 08:20 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Aside from the odd gunbroker auction, does anyone still have Yugo 8mm?

Quote:
Quote:
The dud-o-matic rounds are cheaper but pointless.
You are, I assume, talking about the 1950's vintage stuff.
They are not duds, but hard primers. Usually a second hit makes them fire. This is also fixable with a $8 mainspring.

I should have been more specific about the ammo source.

The dud-o-matic stuff is the current Egyptian, and Iranian ammo on the market. Even the on-line sellers are posting it's a problem.

The 50's Yugo is great stuff if you have the firing pin spring for it. Normally a good cleaning and lubing the bolt and parts well take care of the hard primers. I went through that with my first Yugo M48.

I have about 1300 rds of 50's and 60's Yugo. Out of the 450-500 rds I have shot maybe 3-5% were defective. That's good considering I paid 5 cents around on average.
Old March 9, 2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Ignition Override

A few of my Yugo or Czech rounds needed two primer strikes. After a stronger Wolff spring was installed, each first strike worked really well.

If only there were a way to easily install some sort of rear aperture, low cost sight on my Yugo 48A.
Maybe somebody near the Memphis area knows how to instruct a novice on using the original sights?

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 10, 2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:53 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
If only there were only a way to easily install some sort of rear aperture, low cost sight on my Yugo 48A.
Maybe somebody near the Memphis area knows how to instruct a novice on using the original sights?
I have the same issue with the barrel mounted rear sights. I get a short sight radius that is difficult to use compared to the rear mounted peep sights found on many other mil-surps.

The MOJO sights have helped me with the Mauser, I have the aperture setup on both front and rear. I went to a best of 6moa to 3-4 moa with ease.

The only thing better would be a Redfield or Williams rear mounted Peep sight, but most require you to D&T.

MOJO sights

Old March 10, 2013, 12:44 AM   #8
Ignition Override

Thanks for mentioning the Mojo sights. I had totally forgotten about them.