The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 17, 2011, 06:20 PM   #1
TimW77

ATN NV Scope

Does anyone have actual experience with ATN 1st generation NV scopes such as their Mk 350, Mk 390 or Mk 410?

T.
Old June 20, 2011, 12:11 PM   #2
TimW77

ATN NV Scope

Nobody with actual experience?

T.
Old June 20, 2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Yes, I have the Paladin. They are okay scopes. Not rated for anything over .308 (which isn't unusual). It has good image clarity, but not great light intensification. It comes with a decent IR illuminator that will get you out 50+ yards on a totally black night. You can supplement it it with something a bit better such as a $350 Luna Optics LN-ELIR3 (weaver mount version) and get out to 200 yards. I have not shot anything beyond 50 with mine despite the ELIR3, but I spot animals quite easily out to about 200. Given the reticle brightness and reticle size, you could make a shoulder shot on a hog at 200 yards with no problem if you can see it (hence the need for illumination or a bright night).

It is a heavy scope. I have used my enough to go through two batteries and am on the third, so I think that means something like 60-80 hours+ run time.

The clarity of the image is BETTER than the two Gen II scopes I have that are monoculars (not rifle scopes) and better than at least one Gen III, but it is the light amplification that is lacking.

The problem with buy NV gear is that nobody has a warehouse where you can go and try out competing models to see what works for you. This is my 4the NV scope, but first rifle scope. It is also my 2nd ATN scope. I have not been impressed with ATN products. I would call them nomimal based on my experience, certainly nothing wonderful. I ordered an extra lens and mount for another scope to use it behind a red dot optic and I thought the customer service at ATN absolutely sucked. I would not want to try to get a scope repaired there.

And since you didn't ask for anything more than experience, there you have it.