The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 23, 2019, 05:22 PM   #1
Trooper Joe

S&W CS9, Chief's Special 9mm auto

I found this yesterday at a good price. It was made in 2005 and is in great condition. Came with two mags and I found two more NOS mags (pricey) on the web last night, so I will be good to go.

Really wonder why I am still buying plastic guns since most of the time they are in the door of my truck anyway. This gun is a DA/SA and is everything a defense gun should be. This gun only weighs 21 oz empty with no mag and close to 23 with an empty mag. (Only about 3 ounces more than my P365.)

Will not get to the range until next week and actually expect no problems. Called S&W this morning and will be getting a spare recoil spring as soon as they are available (they are still available from time to time according to their rep.).

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

Trooper Joe
Old May 23, 2019, 05:51 PM   #2
Wishoot

Nice score Trooper! Had a chance to buy one of these a few years back for $300 and I waited too long to pull the trigger.
Old May 23, 2019, 08:35 PM   #3
mk70ss

Those are great carry guns, I had the CS45. Good luck with yours!
Old May 24, 2019, 12:35 AM   #4
Dan-O

Looks nice. Does Wolff make a recoil spring for that model?
Old May 24, 2019, 06:03 PM   #5
kymasabe

I had one, had to sell it when I got in deep financial bind. I've tried to buy it back three times, owner won't sell it back to me. Aside from my Sig P226, was the most accurate handgun I owned and the only one I really regret losing.
Mine ate everything, perfectly reliable, mild recoil, beautiful guns.
Old May 25, 2019, 07:42 PM   #6
Siggy-06

Thats a sweet looking pistol. Nice find!
Old May 25, 2019, 08:43 PM   #7
JERRYS.

the S&W gen 3 guns were discontinued because the plastic gun hysteria took their sales away. this is one of the downfalls of the new era I think. S&W's decision to no longer work or repair them is as disappointing as their love of the built in lock.
Old May 29, 2019, 09:00 AM   #8
cc-hangfire

Nice find! I had a CS9 and sold it - one sale that I regretted.

To replace it, I recently found a CS40 that needed some TLC. Your post motivated me to fix the mag catch. It needed the spring, and - for those who may need to do this in the future - the mag catch/release button is hard rubber, not metal. It’s a press-on fit; no detents, no threads, no tiny pins.

I do have an attraction to the S&W wonder 9’s (and their relatives in .40 & .45), and the CS’s are just neat.
Old May 29, 2019, 09:52 AM   #9
Tom-R2

I bought one about the time they came out. It was my backup piece in an ankle holster for the last several years of my work on the street. I don't shoot it as much now. I did loan it to my daughter-in-law for a couple years. It's been back home now for a year or two. I recently found a good deal on a CS40 and I'm pleased with both of them. It's a great little pistol, just heavy and stout enough to be a good shooter yet easy to carry.
Old May 31, 2019, 06:40 AM   #10
18DAI

Congrats Trooper! The CS9 is a fine little pistol. I liked mine so much I purchased a second, stainless example with night sights.

After 6 months with the CS9, I sold my last two J-frames. They were no longer needed. I had mine modified with a set of cut down factory Delrin grips made by a talented young man over on another board. Thins the gun nicely.

These guns are extremely reliable. I have over 1500 rounds through the black CS9 and approaching 2500 through the stainless CS9. Zero malfunctions. Both guns eat whatever can be put in the mags.

I wish I had purchased one of the CS9s prior to retiring. It would have made a great, easily concealed, light weight BUG. Enjoy yours! Regards 18DAI