The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 18, 2024, 04:23 PM   #1
Greybeard Classic

S&W M&P9 vs Beretta APX for EDC

I am currently looking at YouTube reviews for both the S&W M&P9 2.0 and Beretta APX in 9mm. I already own a S&W SD9VE, so that would give the M&P9 2.0 the edge as far as familiarity. I am essentially wanting the next step up in quality, so stick with what is more familiar to me, or is the Beretta genuinely worth the extra cash?
Old April 18, 2024, 04:51 PM   #2
DT Guy

No opinion on the guns, but careful where you shop; the APX is under $400 in lots of places, which is generally LESS than the M&P 2.0.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old April 18, 2024, 05:01 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

The new APX A1 includes the old APX Beretta green competition striker spring kit. Like said, the APX should be almost always one of the cheapest--it's just probably lowest end of popular. A1 was probably built to save the entire concept from oblivion and it's unclear that worked because they keep coming out with rebates on the APX A1.

The M&P is well liked.

The M&P keeps me away because the grip is sharp. The APX is pretty much never going to be suggested unless someone comes along and throws it out as a last option.

Good luck. You've picked the two I haven't purchased. Really can't go wrong with any of the major choices and they are all kinda within $100 of each other.

The Ruger line up for full size 9mm is probably the only thing less than your current gun, so anything else is probably going to feel "better" at the very least.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; April 18, 2024 at 05:19 PM.
Old April 19, 2024, 10:50 AM   #4
sigarms228

If you haven't seen this recent video by Classic Firearms where they share shooting impressions among several striker fired pistols it may be helpful. Personally I would go for the most M&P 2.0 having shot it a few times. As always try shooting whatever you are considering before buying as how a pistol interfaces with your hand/fingers is important for good shooting.

https://youtu.be/1tCB_zvMK4M?feature=shared
Old April 19, 2024, 11:28 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

They rated the PDP as one of the lowest.

The PPQ which the PDP is based on was the heavy weight contender when almost all those were available.

Funny they ripped on the PDP sights too. The PDP is the only one that comes factory with factory elevation adjustable.

I think it's too boxy. But none even mentioned that.
Old April 19, 2024, 01:56 PM   #6
TunnelRat

I have owned both of the pistols you mention, though not one of the newer APX-A1 models (the older APX). I have had a number of QC issues with S&W over the years over multiple pistols. Their customer service generally takes care of it, but it’s annoying to have to go through that. I haven’t had any QC issues with the Berettas I have owned, though I don’t hear a lot of positive reports about their customer service.

I think of the two I probably preferred shooting the Beretta, but it will be much easier to find accessories for the M&P, especially if you end up wanting to mount an optic on the pistol and need an optic plate and/or different sights.
Old April 19, 2024, 03:07 PM   #7
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
They rated the PDP as one of the lowest.

The PPQ which the PDP is based on was the heavy weight contender when almost all those were available.

Funny they ripped on the PDP sights too. The PDP is the only one that comes factory with factory elevation adjustable.

I think it's too boxy. But none even mentioned that.
They really ripped on the Steyer which has some fans but apparently there may be good reason why its not a good seller.
Old April 19, 2024, 03:44 PM   #8
wild cat mccane

How in the world do you not review the number 1 selling gun too P365 variants.
Old April 19, 2024, 04:20 PM   #9
Jim Watson

Quote:
The M&P keeps me away because the grip is sharp.
Sharp can be dulled. I once rubbed down sharply checkered 1911 grips with a piece of leather until they were more comfortable but still had good traction. I saw a friend rubbing down a hot spot on her grit taped grip with a rock picked up at the range.
Old April 19, 2024, 06:21 PM   #10
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
How in the world do you not review the number 1 selling gun too P365 variants.
The review was for "full sized striker fired pistols". Their definition of full sized apparently means in all dimensions including width.
Old April 23, 2024, 06:11 PM   #11
170atRoscoe

My APX A1 is my weekday edc. I actually shoot this better than my other pistols.