The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 12, 2024, 07:29 PM   #26
Super Sneaky Steve

I would never recommend only doing the hammer spring. Sometimes you can find kits, like at Cajun Gunworks where they balance the springs. At the very least you should also get a lighter firing pin spring with a longer firing pin.
Old April 14, 2024, 12:09 AM   #27
tjmga

[QUOTE=Nathan;6968904]First, there is no good use case for a DA/SA pistol. I’m sorry, but that needed said.

I could not disagree with this statement more strongly. Like yourself this is just my opinion.
Regards
Old April 14, 2024, 02:10 AM   #28
Tool

[QUOTE=tjmga;6969047]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
First, there is no good use case for a DA/SA pistol. I’m sorry, but that needed said.

I could not disagree with this statement more strongly. Like yourself this is just my opinion.
Regards
I agree with Tjmga 100%. I'm a huge fan of DA/SA, because the heavy DA pull serves as a safety. I much prefer that over a manual safety on a striker-fired pistol.
Old April 14, 2024, 08:10 AM   #29
Nathan

So, no dead trigger and safety less design application due to long da trigger.

9 times out of 10, IME a person will need to rack the slide, so trying a “live” trigger is just a slow down.

Regardless, I respect his right to choose what he wants. I have a buddy that thinks a Beretta 92 I a great carry gun.. he does ok with it, so who am I to say.
Old April 14, 2024, 12:42 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

I've never had a need to change the hammer spring on any of my pistols, so, I never have changed the hammer spring on any of my pistols.

Discussing the merits of DA/SA triggers is, I think, a topic for a different thread.
Old April 14, 2024, 02:44 PM   #31
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
9 times out of 10, IME a person will need to rack the slide, so trying a “live” trigger is just a slow down.
I agree that when the hammer falls and the round doesn't fire, it's probably best to run the slide. That takes care of either a misfire or an empty chamber.

That said, I have not seen any statistics that say how often this kind of a malfunction is due to an empty chamber or a round that isn't going to fire no matter how many times it's struck vs. how often a restrike will fire the round.

One other advantage of the DA/SA--although this may be something of a stretch. If something in the SA sear mechanism fails, the gun should still work with a DA trigger pull for each shot.
Old April 14, 2024, 08:21 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
That said, I have not seen any statistics.....
I doubt you will ever see any statistics on these issues. First, in order to compile statistics, you have to have records and about no one makes or keeps records of this kind of thing.

Second, even if there were records the best they could be is a rough percentage of historical events, each one a unique thing not likely to be repeatable or consistent. Particularly with rounds failing to fire.

You simply cannot use a collection of anecdotes as a reliable predictor. Maybe the round you're firing goes off normally. Maybe it goes off on restrike. Maybe it goes off on the 2nd or 32nd restrike. Maybe it never goes off at all. There is no way to predict which it will be with certainty or accuracy.

Every round should fire normally. IF it does not, you're "off the map" and there are no predictors of what it will do.
Old April 14, 2024, 10:06 PM   #33
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I doubt you will ever see any statistics on these issues...
That's exactly the point. There's nothing to say that, for example, "9 out of 10 times" one will need to chamber a new round vs. restriking the round in the chamber.