The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 25, 2017, 08:30 PM   #51
Bill DeShivs

Buck's got it figured out!
Old November 27, 2017, 11:30 PM   #52
tipoc

Quote:
I consider "feeling good in your hand" different than "feeling good with the gun held out at arms length". "Feeling good in your hand"to me means the grips fit your hands well and the frame size/ergonomics of the gun are conducive to proper shooting, i.e. trigger reach, easy access to safety/hammer. IME, a firearm, regardless of platform that is more pleasant to shoot, is one that is going to get shot more. So while it may not be the most accurate gun you may have, it probably will be the one you are most proficient with overall. Anyone who does not believe how a gun "fits" you dose not equate to accuracy, hasn't shot much shotgun. While shooting slow, taking your time and concentrating, one can be accurate with most any firearm, shooting quickly by point, instinctively and with quick follow up shots, means a gun needs to point well for you....thus fitting you. While I know many folk change their grips because of aesthetics, many change them because of how they feel in their hand. It may be subjective, but being confident and comfortable with what you are shooting can and does contribute to accuracy.
+1 for the above.

Ergonomics count. The longer you shoot the more you get that it does make a difference in helping the shooter.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old November 28, 2017, 06:16 PM   #53
t45

I read all the responses. For ME, I like a gun that fits well in my hand. My 1911's fit me well but the one gun that fits the very best that I have is my wife's SR9. I'll take a gun that is comfortable in my hand before one that is not. But that's just ME....
Old November 30, 2017, 05:10 PM   #54
RickB

If shooting only for accuracy, with time playing no part, then "feels good" doesn't contribute much; if the gun has good sights and a good trigger, the feel won't matter much.
If I'm trying to hit something quickly, repeatedly, then feel becomes more important.

When I was shooting every weekend, for fifteen years, I could do the "close your eyes, raise the gun to eye level, open your eyes, and sights are perfectly aligned" deal with my 1911s.
They were all set up the same way, with long trigger, arched mainspring housing, G.I. grips, and either because the gun was a perfect fit, or because I had become accustomed to it, the "feels good" couldn't get any better.

Two guns that are often described as "an extension of your hand", or "points naturally, like pointing a finger", are the Luger and the Colt Single Action, but neither of them feels remotely natural or "good", to me.
I have to really fight those guns onto the target, as the hand has to be contorted unnaturally to grip them.
That's obviously not a knock on the guns' potential accuracy, just my ability to shoot them accurately.
Old November 30, 2017, 06:03 PM   #55
kmw1954

Seems I've said this before but it all boils down to the individual. We all have an entirely different definition of the expression. Don't think there is a right of wrong, only different.

same kinda comes to mind when asked how I feel about the difference between hammer and striker or SA/DA. When I'm baring down on a target those 2 things are the last thing that is going through my mind.
Old November 30, 2017, 07:00 PM   #56
rodfac

Interesting question. I've noted that I tend to shoot better with a gun that 'feels good in the hand' when not using any sort of a rest.
In my estimation, a good 'feeling' handgun is:,
one whose stocks allow the trigger finger good, unimpeded access and ability to pull without side motion,
is one that has enough barrel length for good sight alignment but not so much to impede concealment nor the draw movement from a good OWB holster,
is one that absorbs recoil so subsequent shots do not promote an unconscious flinch,
and finally, is one that offers just the right amount of muzzle weight to dampen the shooter's natural wobble area without inducing muzzle droop as the shot breaks.
All in all, I shoot better from any field position if the gun I'm handling exhibits the above characteristics.

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 30, 2017, 11:05 PM   #57
5whiskey

I'll play after reading all responses. "Feeling good in the hand" usually will not make the pistol more accurate if you aim, slow steady squeeze, fire for a 5 round group. I can shoot a Glock 19 almost as good at 25 yards as I can a CZ or 1911, despite the other two "feeling" much better. I do believe it matters a great deal more with combat shooting a!a, draw and fire 3 or 4 rounds as quick as safely possible. I cannot shoot that same Glock as quickly as a CZ. I'm even slightly faster with a 1911 in 45 than the Glock.
Old November 30, 2017, 11:22 PM   #58
DM357

Feeling good in the hand is a great thing, but it's quite a bit more of a psychological benefit than a physical one. Most Sigs feel good in my hand because I have a lot of hand filling. The problem is, all that hand filling isn't that great when I have to contort my fingers and change my grip to reach decockers, mag releases and so on. Glock 19s fit my hand almost perfectly..but I can't shoot them well for crap. The most important fit is making sure your thumb knuckle isn't being abused every shot you take, and that you can reach all needed levers/buttons. After that, it's all up to training, fate and preference.
Old December 1, 2017, 12:20 AM   #59
Danoobie

IMO, the right grips make a huge difference for me. I prefer the
compressibility of Hogues, but if solid wood grips, or checkered
grips feel best for the given user, they should get the grips they need.
Well worth the money, in my book.
Old December 1, 2017, 11:27 AM   #60
DM357

I'd definitely say that revolver grip choice is a much bigger issue than semi-auto choice.
Old December 1, 2017, 06:20 PM   #61
Rangerrich99

Going back to the OP, I thought of a gun that definitely didn't feel good in my hand that was surprisingly accurate: the Ruger LC9S. My buddy let me try it out for a weekend, and I was extremely surprised at its accuracy in spite of how odd it felt in my hand. With the very first magazine I was able to put all ten rounds in a 3.5 inch group at 20 yards offhand, with 7 holes actually touching. Subsequent mags were about the same. And I never got comfortable with the grip size/shape.
Old December 1, 2017, 06:42 PM   #62
kmw1954

Accuracy and feel do not always go hand-in-hand.

I have 2 very different semi-auto pistols. One feels great but is hard to shoot because of the sights. The second doesn't feel as good but shoots much better because of the sights.
If I could take the sights off the one and put them on the other I would have the perfect gun.
Old December 1, 2017, 07:54 PM   #63
Siggy-06

Well I have a Hi Power and it feels great in my hands and I shoot it decently. My glock 23 doesnt feel anywhere near as comfortable, but I shoot it even better than the Hi Power. Go figure.