The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 27, 2001, 05:37 PM   #1
PKAY

I have an opportunity to purchase a war time P38. It's a byf 43 in 90% condition with all matching serial numbers. The bore is in excellent shape. The kicker here is that it comes with the original holster and two original magazines. I've had occasion to inspect the whole package, and, as one can imagine, the holster is kinda rough but has all the markings in the right place. Any idea what the package is worth? Owner won't break it up (and that's OK), but combining the holster, extra mag, and gun he wants $500.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old February 28, 2001, 10:33 AM   #2
Strayhorn

That's about the going price these days for such a set -up. I saw the exact same combo not long ago for $590, with the holster serialed to the gun. I'm sure I could have talked the guy down to about $500, but I already have a P-38 that I got from an estate sale (with holster and mags) a few years back.

I'm always wary of holsters, though. I've seen some very clever repros lately, complete with correct codes and stamps. I wouldn't pay too much extra for just a holster, but it makes a nice, complete set if you have it. The extra mags, if original, are a nice touch, too.

About the only thing I can suggest is to check the locking blocks for cracks, and give the slide a good going-over for cracks as well.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
Old February 28, 2001, 11:04 AM   #3
PKAY

Strayhorn, thanks for the reply. I have seen some fake holsters too, but this appears to be original with appropriate markings on the back side. I've made an offer of $425 for the lot which has been accepted (just can't help myself). BTW, the FFL initiating the transfer here in CA ran into a hassle when DOJ informed him that "there's no Mauser on the list" of approved handguns for sale in this state, therefore sale denied. DOJ had to be informed that this arm is a curio and relic (over 50 years old) and not covered by the new legislation. We firearms enthusiasts are better informed on the law than the agency tasked to enforce it!
Old March 9, 2001, 06:33 PM   #4
PKAY

I picked up the pistol and holster today. I am pretty well convinced the holster is original. Is it worth doing any professional restoration on the holster or should I just leave it rough?