The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1
mjm

9mm RCBS Seater Plug for pointed FMJ

I am reloading using Montana Gold 115 gr 9mm FMJ bullets. The round nose seater plug that came with the die set deforms the point of the bullets, which are more pointed than round nose bullets.

I contacted RCBS and they sent me another seater plug. Unfortunately, it was not the right one. Bless their hearts, they even sent me the two seater plugs that came with the die set to make sure they got it right.

I now have 38-RN, 9mm-TMJ and 9MAK-SWC. I need to call them back and try again. Does anyone know which " stock" seater plug I need?

I understand I can send them several bullets and they will make one that will fit that exact bullet, but I figure others must be using something without going through that.

Last edited by mjm; December 8, 2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old December 8, 2009, 08:56 PM   #2
CherokeeT

Get yourself some epoxy, dab some in the seat stem (after degreasing it) and coat your 9mm bullet with oil, push the bullet nose straight into the epoxy, then withdraw. You should have a custom seating stem. More expensive, you could get a Lyman 9mm seating die and #402 seating stem. That is actually what I use for my 9mm jacketed bullets, which contacts the ogive of the bullet, not the nose. Also, I think RCBS will cut a seat stem for you if you send them the bullet you use, reasonable charge.