The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Nero45

303 Bullet Pulling?

Hello everyone. Heres my issue, I've got a lot of so-so mil-surplus 303. It doesn't shoot very well due to theres a delay in firing, I suspect the powder is old; What I'd like to do is pull the bullets and replace the powder with new however I'm not clear as to what the best corse is or if this is even a good idea. Your thoughts?
Old January 19, 2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

For pulling any significant quantity there is only one tool to have, in my opinion, and that is the Hornady Cam-Lock puller. It is faster and easier to operate than the screw-closed collet pullers and a lot faster than trying to use an inertial puller.

That said, a firing delay is more likely to be a primer problem than a powder problem, though either is possible. You might want to pull a few and try your experiment to see if the primers are OK. If the cases are Boxer primed, you can decap them and replace the primers. If the are Berdan primed, it is harder to find supplies for that. Depending on the year and country of origin, these may be corrosively primed, so watch for that.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 20, 2011, 09:09 AM   #3
wogpotter

Are you sure it has "powder" not cordite in there?
Primer problems are far more likely, but if the ammo is "Mk VII" then the propellant is not powder at all, & the primers are probably very hard to find & even harder to reload.
What is the headstamp so we can advise you better?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”