The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 2, 2012, 08:46 PM   #1
shootsafe

cz75bd jammed

What a deal. Never thought it could happen. Jammed my CZ(picture attached). Slide won't move forward or back. It is jammed just about an 1/8 of an inch ahead of the slide clip removal line. I am tempted to point it down range an give it a wack forward to try and move it to the slide clip removal mark line. (I said I was tempted, I am seeking advice first)

One round, barrel is clear.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0261.jpg (211.0 KB, 205 views)
Old January 2, 2012, 09:52 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Drop the magazine before you do anything else so that you don't inadvertently chamber a round during this process.

This procedure will only work with the CZ-75 or other guns that do NOT have a full length guide rod.

Find a sturdy bench or heavy piece of wood or other non-marring material and position it so that in the unlikely event that the gun discharges the round won't damage anything.

Place the lower part of the front (muzzle area) of the slide against the piece of wood/bench.

The positioning should be such that the barrel is completely clear of the piece of wood. You're going to push hard on the back of the pistol and you don't want the barrel to interfere with this operation.

Once everything is lined up so that the lower part of the front of the side is against the wood and the barrel is NOT against the wood, take a good shooting grip with both hands and push hard on the back of the grip. That should clear it.
Old January 2, 2012, 09:59 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

First things first. Is that a live round in the chamber? Is the barrel/chamber clear of live rounds or empty cases? The main problem right now is to make the pistol safe.

If there is a round or empty case in the chamber, it could be the cause of the jam. Are you using reloads or anything other than standard factory ammunition marked 9mm Luger or 9mm Parabellum?

I am looking at my cutaway and can't see anything that would jam the gun at that point except a failure to go into battery. That could result from a serious problem with the gun, but the most common cause is an oversize cartridge or case jammed in the chamber.

If there is nothing in the chamber, get back to me for further suggestions. If there is, I might be able to help you deal with the problem safely.

Jim
Old January 2, 2012, 10:13 PM   #4
shootsafe

Back at you James K

That is a live round.

Clip is clear and will come out.

Hammer will cock and go back to 1/2 cock.

Trigger will move but is not engaged.

Thanks,
Old January 2, 2012, 10:42 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

The procedure I gave you is pretty safe, certainly safer than trying to whack the slide forward into battery.

That said, I'm not all that happy about recommending that you try it with a live round partially chambered. I think it's extremely unlikely to discharge the round, but stranger things have happened.

It's up to you. If you do it, pick a spot where an accidental discharge will travel in a safe direction.
Old January 2, 2012, 11:35 PM   #6
armoredman

trigger won't engage because it is out of battery, that's a good thing. The procedure listed should work, reccomend you do it at a range if possible. Good luck! What kind of ammo, as that is most likely going to be ammo related.
Old January 7, 2012, 05:18 AM   #7
HiBC

You may use something like a pencil as a gage to determine if you have a live round or fired case in the chamber.
Might substitute pliers or tweezers for fingers in front the muzzle.
Old January 8, 2012, 02:29 PM   #8
shootsafe

Contacted CZ USA

I sent the picture to CZ USA. They sent back an email and a fed ex warranty return return label to send the gun back to them.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Shootsafe
Old January 8, 2012, 03:10 PM   #9
CraigJS

Anything other than sending it back, wear safety glasses and prefurably a face shield! Gloves wouldn't hurt (no pun) either..
Old January 8, 2012, 07:01 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

I don't believe FEDEX allows the shipment of firearms and ammunition in the same container.

http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guid...xpress-ground/
FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.
Old January 8, 2012, 07:05 PM   #11
3kgt2nv

push the slide open as stated above and if it was a reload i have a feeling a chamber gauge will show the case was out of spec
Old January 8, 2012, 10:12 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

NO CARRIER IS GOING TO ACCEPT A GUN WITH A LIVE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER. DON'T EVEN TRY TO GET AWAY WITH SHIPPING IT!!!

If you can't handle the problem, contact a gunsmith or someone more knowledgeable.

Jim